Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 11:38 AM

Default Kwik-Way Loader on a?

So after seeing last weeks POTW I was inspired!

I have always wanted a small loader (for what reason I have no clue, really have no need for one with only 3/4 acre?) anyways I picked up a Kwik-Way loader a year or two ago with the intentions of installing it on one of my Bolens Tube Frame tractors . . . since now bitten by the "Yellow Fever" I'm selling out all my Bolens and swapping over to Cubs with my purchase of a 1250 back in October (just picked up a QA36a and 54" blade yesterday for it, 54" is planned for swapping for a smaller width as it's way to big for my use).

So here starts my story on putting this loader on something yellow and the POTW was my inspiration to get started! Thanks Ben!

After passing some PM's back and forth with Ben I'm going to keep my eyes open for a 149 or 169 for a dedicated loader platform. My loader project is in need of some serious work/repair, came with no hyd pump or valves, needs all new hoses and some repair/fabrication work. Cylinders will need repaired also as the bucket cylinders had the shafts cut short by the previous owner due to rust/pitting I will assume.

Not sure yet if it will be more cost effective to rebuild or replace cylinders, have a shop or two local that I will probably consult with on that option.

This will in no way be an over-night project due to $$$'s and time . . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loadersm.jpg (27.4 KB, 1420 views)
File Type: jpg loadersm1.jpg (30.8 KB, 1414 views)
Old 01-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Grand Member

Nice Kwik-way Bruce! Thanks for posting to pictures, looking at it I'm convinced the bucket cylinders have been replaced, they look like a longer stroke than mine. Also I see the PO has welded the front braces to the uprights, just be carful on the reservoir side if you cut it off to use stock style mounting. Meant to send you this link for the manual, it's the same loader other than the valve being on the left.
http://gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Kwik-W...4_19751100.pdf
149 with kwik-way loader,1772,two 1782 super smokers, 982 SGT w 54" haban blade,60" haban deck, 50in deck cat 0 3 point, brinly cat 0: blade, plow(3), disc.123,hydro lift. 61"O" Brinly single row planter,brinly cultivator,#2 trailer,brinly 10 inch plow,3 42 inch blades,Model #1 Tiller with extenstions,haban sickle mo. 106w/ags and hydro lift.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 PM

Could you measure your bucket cylinders sometime?

Yes, the PO welded the front supports to the uprights, nothing a grinder can't take care of any holes found will be welded back up.

Thanks for the link on the manual!

Any chance you could take some reference dimensions from the frame front or back to your upright location? If I get a chance I'll probably start to mockup the sub-frame using my 1250 till I find myself a 149 or 169.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Grand Member

Bruce, I got you some measurements. The bucket cylinder (from center of pin to center of pin) is 19 1/2" in and 27" extended, so it's a 7.5" inch stroke. I measured from the bottom front of the frame to the front of my upright crossmember, it's 32 1/2". Now I feel I could have mounted it back a little further, as I have a little tire rubbing on the cylinders with the axle articulated and the loader in the full down position, but it rare I'm ever in a situation where it an issue, so I'm not too worried about it.
149 with kwik-way loader,1772,two 1782 super smokers, 982 SGT w 54" haban blade,60" haban deck, 50in deck cat 0 3 point, brinly cat 0: blade, plow(3), disc.123,hydro lift. 61"O" Brinly single row planter,brinly cultivator,#2 trailer,brinly 10 inch plow,3 42 inch blades,Model #1 Tiller with extenstions,haban sickle mo. 106w/ags and hydro lift.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepts View Post
So after seeing last weeks POTW I was inspired!

I have always wanted a small loader (for what reason I have no clue, really have no need for one with only 3/4 acre?) anyways I picked up a Kwik-Way loader a year or two ago with the intentions of installing it on one of my Bolens Tube Frame tractors . . . since now bitten by the "Yellow Fever" I'm selling out all my Bolens and swapping over to Cubs with my purchase of a 1250 back in October (just picked up a QA36a and 54" blade yesterday for it, 54" is planned for swapping for a smaller width as it's way to big for my use).

So here starts my story on putting this loader on something yellow and the POTW was my inspiration to get started! Thanks Ben!

After passing some PM's back and forth with Ben I'm going to keep my eyes open for a 149 or 169 for a dedicated loader platform. My loader project is in need of some serious work/repair, came with no hyd pump or valves, needs all new hoses and some repair/fabrication work. Cylinders will need repaired also as the bucket cylinders had the shafts cut short by the previous owner due to rust/pitting I will assume.

Not sure yet if it will be more cost effective to rebuild or replace cylinders, have a shop or two local that I will probably consult with on that option.

This will in no way be an over-night project due to $$$'s and time . . . .

Nice loader, and Cubs are good but don't sell your Bolens as they're great extremely heavy duty tractors.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:27 PM

this will be a cool project.. i agree, i like the old bolens too..my neighbor has an old tube frame..brown and white...personally i really wish that an old HT-20 would miraculousely show up in my garage one day.. my dream to take an old reefer diesel and turbo it to drop in...would be a BEAST...good luck with this build, keep us informed..
Old 01-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Banned

Ya awesome have a good day!!Kyle
Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubCadet129 View Post
Nice loader, and Cubs are good but don't sell your Bolens as they're great extremely heavy duty tractors.
Thanks!

Sorry done with the Bolens, played with them for 30 years now and done working on them everytime I need to use them. Pulleys, belts, steering hard etc. After using my new to me 1250 I'm sold on Cubs now, wish it had a foot control like my Bolens Hydro but I can learn to live without that to have the nice steering! I'm also done working on Tecumseh OHV engines, parts are hard to find and cost $$$'s compared to the Kohler engine. Oh the big selling point for me to go Cubs also was the fact that my grandkids can also have Yellow and White toys to match Grandpa's tractors

I think the loader on a Cub just seems right seen the foot control mod some have done and might add that to my list of add-ons. But first have to find a 149 . . .
Old 02-28-2015, 09:05 PM

Little update took some time today to tear the bucket cylinders apart to determine if they are repairable or need new replacements.

The previous owner had an issue with a broken snap-ring and did some damage trying to get it out, this will have to be welded up and remachined. Rods are pitted beyond use and one is bent and they will need new seals (which was a given).

I knew the cylinders were in bad shape I had already planned on replacing the piston rods. At this point I'm inclined to say I'm going to go with new replacement cylinders. Already found what I need at Surplus Center. I plan on heading to the local hydraulics shop with my parts this coming week and see what they have to say on rebuilding versus new cylinders and will make my decision after weighing my options.

The lower cylinders will just need repacked, the rods have some minor pitting and I plan on running them as-is. If they leak I'll address them again in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2671sm.jpg (21.1 KB, 1002 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2674sm.jpg (19.0 KB, 995 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2675sm.jpg (19.9 KB, 997 views)
Old 03-05-2015, 10:14 AM

bruce any updates? i recently got a kwik way also spoke with kwik way and they arent making parts anymore other than a few small parts that wouldnt help me anyways. am going to put mine on a super gt and was told mine was from a sears although it was on a cub 1000. turns out the guy at KW told me it is actually for a 128 129 149 for years 72 thru 74 and 1200 1250 1450 and 1650 for 1975. not sure why but the guy cut part off of the subframe but most of it is intact if you are planning to mount it on a tractor like the ones listed i could take measurements and pics for ya as im not using this subframe. the pump mount isnt like the one in the manual either. looks like the rite pump but not the mount i could also email you a pdf of the owners manuals he sent me if ya like. the gravely one posted above was close but this ones actually show pics of the mounts and such which wouldnt be hard to make. i sent them to Jmech also hes going to try to host and post them somewhere here on the forum the other manual is for a super garden tractor