Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 03:22 PM

Default Cub Cadet 3225 will not pull a grade

Hello. I have a Cub Cadet Model 3225 that I have owned for about fifteen years. Over the past couple of years, the hydrostatic transmission has seemed to have gotten weaker and weaker when going uphill. It used to run great when I first started mowing and got progressively weaker as the day went on. So far, I have replaced the fluid and filter, added a hydraulic oil cooler, and I just replaced the geroter in the charge pump thinking that may be the problem. The old one, however, looked fine and there was no change in function. I replaced the o-rings and thin orange shim when I did the geroter, and made sure the new one was oriented properly. The power steering and lift both work fine. Today, it has gotten so bad I can no longer mow with it, as it will now not even pull the slightest bit of grade at all. I can hear squealing and feel a vibration when I push the travel pedal when trying to go uphill. I have checked the fluid, and it is full, although when I strain it to try and go uphill it becomes frothy.

Does anybody have an idea of what may be wrong and how I could fix it? I am fairly mechanically inclined, although I am not terribly familiar with hydrostatic transmissions. I appreciate any input or ideas.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-14-2020, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Welcome to OCC..........

Are using Cub Cadet Fluid and Hydro Filter ??

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 06-14-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
Welcome to OCC..........

Are using Cub Cadet Fluid and Hydro Filter ??

I am using the Cub Cadet hydro filter from a local dealer. I was using the Cub Cadet fluid when the problem began. I have changed the hydraulic oil a couple of times while chasing this problem and switched to Rotella T5 15w40 synthetic blend oil with the last oil change to see if that made a difference. It did not. I should also note, the tractor runs pretty well when I first start it, but after only a few minutes of running, it gets to where it won't pull any kind of grade. It runs great on flat ground and goes down hill just fine. Also, when I say grade, I mean any sort of positive grade what-so-ever.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:39 PM
Grand Member

Frothy could mean hydro is sucking air. Such as filter not properly seated. Or a leak along the pickup line. It could also mean wrong oil.

The tractor moves better from cold start than middle of run.... That seems to be your description. When first starting up, the oil is not all whipped cream.
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 06-15-2020, 06:03 AM
Senior Moderator

I run Rotella and Wix filters with no issues.

Check your axle and hubs. There have been a few owners that have had them strip the splines off. This will cause the same issue that your are describing.

Here is a link I did on a 3165 to replace the axle seals. It shows what your splines should look like. Your machine should have the same rear but yours has the differential lock.
https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/...ad.php?t=33446

If your splines are fine you may want to pull the rear cover off and see if you have any issues with the differential lock. That is another known issue with the 3k tractors. It would also be a good time to clean and grease the roller bearings on the ends of the axle shafts.

Good luck and report back on what you find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1277.jpg (22.1 KB, 210 views)
Old 06-15-2020, 06:51 AM
Administrator

This is what Cub Cadet recommends to use in that HydroGear Transmission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC Hydro Filter.jpg (19.4 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 3120.jpg (16.0 KB, 201 views)

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 06-15-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-O View Post
Frothy could mean hydro is sucking air. Such as filter not properly seated. Or a leak along the pickup line. It could also mean wrong oil.

The tractor moves better from cold start than middle of run.... That seems to be your description. When first starting up, the oil is not all whipped cream.
Yes, that is what I am trying to describe. I will double-check the filter and the o-rings on the supply tube (I am guessing that is what the tube that goes from the charge pump down to the filter is). Thank you for your feedback.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Scribe a line on the axle/hub and drive it up an incline and see if the mark moves. Pull that oil cooler off too because it isn’t needed.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:16 PM

did you check the screen filter on the back of the hydro pump for debris?
Old 06-21-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale c. View Post
did you check the screen filter on the back of the hydro pump for debris?

I have not. I noticed there was a bowl on the pump housing with a single bolt threw the center, sort of like a carburetor bowl. Would I just remove the single bolt, pull the bowl off and clean it? Is there an o-ring or gasket I should obtain before pulling it apart?

Tags
3225, hydrostatic transmission