Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Richard & Matt:

Your stories remind me of this........

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Grand Member

Love the pictures R Bedell

cub149, Glad you surrived the crash. But i am glad you posted this. It is a good warning. Like Matt G said, Make sure they are seated in the groove. I was fighting one and thought i had it. Racked the hydro control leaver back and forth a few times and it poped off. So i really cleaned the groove and made sure it locked into place. I never thought of the consequences if it would have poped off while running.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Man
All at once thats funny as heck and scarry as heck!!!
When I got my first 123 I had the front end on jack stands and the rear on the floor,had the seat tore off and the fenders.The starter generator didnt work,come to find out it was just a generator,so I put a 8 inch pully in my drill and actually started the engine with that and a belt.
Now this was my first cub and I had no clue about them,I decided to thrash the hydro control lever around forward and reverse,nothing happened,I left it in forward,luckly in a position for slow movement,and let the engine run a bit as it hadent ran for a while,I was checkin out every thing on the cub while she was purring along,I descovered the little handel on the right hand side and released it from its keeper,the tractor promptly realeased itsef from the jack stands holding the front up and scooted across the floor into the bench on the other side of the garage!!!
I couldnt get it to stop and couldnt react quick enough to stop the engine!!

Thanks for sharing the story as I will be putting a hydro back together this winter

Jason

:biggrin2.gif: Just one more !!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Grand Member

Once in awhile, I'll walk in the house with blood gushing or some other such thing, and Betsy will holler "WHAT THE "HECK" HAPPENED???" I just tell her "I'm not exactly sure, but I think it had something to do with a coyote and an anvil".
Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Well I'll tell one of my stories.....
My 1450 was greatly altered by a po the hydro shifter was located where the creeper gear is located on gear drives and had a very long range of speeds, you pulled back to go forward and pushed forward to go in reverse. Well I thought after using it this way for a year or so it was too dangerous and wanted it back original. I went to the nearest Cub Cadet junkyard and bought the shifter linkage and ordered all the other from the local cub cadet dealer. I had everything changed over to work correctly except I go confused on the shifter direction and when i was is a short area and needed to go in reverse and pushed the shifter forward and slammed in to a deck post full speed and broke the front axel.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:02 PM

R Bedell,

I fancy myself as pretty good with oxy/acet torches. Back in the day one of the things I HAD to do was use a torch to cut out the alignment shims on the rear end of custom Corvettes so that they could be realigned. There isn't much space in that area and fiberglass body to boot.

But a propane torch mixed with a greasy, dry grass laden tractor do not mix. One little bugger of grease on fire will flash just like Willie the coyote did.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Grand Member

Glad none of you guys got hurt.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:41 PM

OK, here is the final analysis. I started on the steering first so I never really looked at the hydro parts good, I assumed the worst and figured I needed to be able to steer this thing around the shop if I had to wait on parts. It wouldn't steer at all, look at the pictures and you will understand why. The housing cracked and the tube came completely out, also the shaft is bent really bad. Also take a look at the steering knuckle, it twisted the crap out of it. I totaly rebuilt the steering, thank God for the other tractor which is slowly becoming a parts tractor. Took the best of the two steering columns and made one.
Now the the cause on this disaster. When I did the trunion shims I also did the cam plate. This is where everything went wrong. That is the ring that came off. I don't know if taking the slop out of the cam plate is good, bad or a waist of time? As far as making sure the ring was seated, it was for sure as I spun it around to check it. I thought it spun around awfully easy, that is why I was telling myself "you should wait and get a new snap ring" but NOOOOO, I couldn't wait to get it out and give it a good spin around the yard.

The stories I have read on this post are great! I was LMAO at them. Fires, crashes and blood, life don't get know better than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cracked housing.jpg (54.0 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg twisted steering knuckle.jpg (73.4 KB, 148 views)
Old 07-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Grand Member

I know you stated in the first post that it hit hard. But when you start seeing these pictures you realize how hard it really did hit.

Glad all you guys are O.K.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:24 PM

I don't think I mentioned it, but the front left tire took most of the blow on the corner of my work bench so that is why there is so much damage to that side, and of course that side is linked to the steering box.
I'm going to add an air bag and seat belts next week :biggrin2.gif: