Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 04-21-2018, 09:23 AM

Default CV23S Aftermarket quick release oil drain valve

Hi Guys

I wonder if you can help me again. I have a 2007 Cub Cadet CC1023RD that is fitted with a Kohler CV23S engine. I have been very remiss in attending to maintenance, but I'm now retired, so I have more time to concern myself with such things and have just performed its first oil and filter change after 460 hours. I know, sorry.

During the procedure I was a little disappointed with the operation of the quick release valve. I could barely operate it, such was the clearance available for fingers, especially when I had the pipe on, and when I came to remove the pipe I pulled the valve right off. Having said that, I was unfamiliar with the proper operation of it, so having pulled it off by mistake I could see that it was meant to turn, pull out, stop, and if pulled harder would come right off. If I'd locked it again before trying to remove my pipe, all would have worked reasonably well, apart from the initial difficulty in getting it to turn.

Regardless though I would like to either install some pipework, and or an aftermarket lever operated valve, or if necessary both, to make it easier for future changes. Do you have any recommended products?

My engine manual shows only a standard drain plug, so I'm thinking it must be a cub cadet adaptation to the engine, and not a kohler product?

Having looked closely at how it fits, I think I'm going to have significant difficulty in even removing it, because there is little clearance above it, and almost no clearance below it, so I can't see how I would even get a tool on to loosen it, without removing the engine. Which incidentally is way more than I'm prepared to do to perform a mod of this type, and probably more than I'm even capable of.

On the other side of the engine there seems to be another more standard drain plug. Same thread spec, 3/8 NPT (INCH), which is how it's described in the manual, and it's much more accessible and can be removed using an allen key. So accessible that I'm unclear as to why the quick release drain wasn't fitted at this side, but I'm sure they must have had their reasons.

Am I better trying to perform any drain modification at this side, and just leaving the existing valve in place?

I was thinking of something like this product but if you ave any better ideas, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Looking at this design, I imagine I would have to extend it with some more pipe first, at the engine side, but again, maybe you have some ideas about a more suitable solution?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 04-21-2018, 07:04 PM

Had the same problem a few years back and initially got the original fitting out using a cut down spanner that gave enough room to turn the fitting
Then went to a Hydraulic fitting supplier and bought 3 fittings , first one to fit but with the ability to slide on some rubber hose , then about 4"of hose then another fitting for the other end of the hose into which goes a screw in plug , also 2 hose clamps
Job done and now it is so easy to change oil as hose can be deflected down into a catch container
Oz
Old 04-22-2018, 05:54 AM

Yeah, thanks Oz. Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be by worrying about a valve. A fitting, some pipe, another fitting and a plug will do the trick. Like this product that I came across last night.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A19NVE4G6SOT2C

I would love to replace the valve, but don't see how I can get in there to remove it. How exactly did you cut your spanner down?

These are the two oil port options I'm working with, but I'd much rather do away with the existing valve.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180421_134022.jpg (22.4 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20180421_134115.jpg (23.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:58 AM

Okay, small development. I went to examine the possibilities of getting the old valve off, by first cleaning up the area of oily grass, and realised, as I was attempting this, that I would get much better access without the starter motor, the removal of which looked simple. It was simple, two long bolts, and I was able to drop it down and leave it balanced on the foot rest, whilst I tried to get a spanner on the valve.

To my surprise I didn't need the spanner, it was so loose that I could turn it by hand. In the end I utilised the time with the starter removed to actually tighten it up a little, as best I could with the spanner I had. the spanner had to go in at a very odd angle, but at least I got it tighter than finger tight, whilst leaving it easily removable for when I get my parts. It wasn't leaking, even though it was loose, but it must be better now. I then refitted the starter, again with little difficulty, so it's back to how it was, but now clean.

Since I'm going to be taking the starter off again, to do the mod, when I've decided on the parts, or sooner if it's important, I noticed that the bendix, I think that's what it's called, and the end of the motor shaft, seemed to be completely devoid of any grease. I'm thinking that this should not be the case. Am I correct in thinking I should apply a little grease here? Maybe I should try and apply it to the whole of the toothed wheel into which it engages, and if so is there an easy way to do that?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:42 PM

Little bit different to mine , it came ex-factory with an extension and a 90 degree fitting , yours looks a little rotter
That Drainzit is what I copied but at half the price
Oz
Old 04-25-2018, 03:59 PM

Yeah, thanks Oz, it's a bit of a beggar to be sure. Found a uk source of NPT fittings so have ordered up a small selection of bits, to come up with what I want. The supplier, when helping me pick the bits, also pointed out that I could swap the drain plug from the other side, to blank off where the valve is now, and use the other side for the new fittings, where I have better access. Obvious but good idea.

When I do the job, I'll report back and post pictures.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 AM

Here's what I came up with.

Will fit it in a day or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180503_124549.jpg (31.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:32 AM

Couple of hours later, including lunch, and the job is done. Got giddy, and couldn't wait two days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180503_145423.jpg (28.6 KB, 22 views)