Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
You don't get off that easy, we want to know what you found wrong.
Honesty and embarrassingly it was one of two simple things. Either I had accidentally had the handle for engaging mower blades all the way forward (from taking off the belt and mower deck) which obviously will kill your starting system. Or when I pushed the tractor backwards to move it, it spun the starter backwards and did something. Either way it was a very simple and accidental thing
BUT that means that my wiring and electrical system replacement was all correct the first time! Which relieves a lot of frustration. I just knew I had everything right.
This feels like working on my old bmw, trying to go at it all complicated but then you realize how it works you can take apart the whole machine with one wrench and a screwdriver.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Default 129

Glad you got it running. Now that BMW that you can work on with one wrench and a screw driver. Is that a car or motorcycle? Have a great day.
Bob
Old 04-16-2018, 01:08 PM
Grand Member

Good work Sean. These things are remarkably maintainable machines . Congrats on getting yours running.

There's nothing quite as educational as beating your head against the wall on a problem and finally winning.

John
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanc View Post
Honesty and embarrassingly it was one of two simple things. Either I had accidentally had the handle for engaging mower blades all the way forward (from taking off the belt and mower deck) which obviously will kill your starting system. Or when I pushed the tractor backwards to move it, it spun the starter backwards and did something. Either way it was a very simple and accidental thing
BUT that means that my wiring and electrical system replacement was all correct the first time! Which relieves a lot of frustration. I just knew I had everything right.
This feels like working on my old bmw, trying to go at it all complicated but then you realize how it works you can take apart the whole machine with one wrench and a screwdriver.
You are not the first person to have a PTO switch mess with you.
If truth be told, a whole bunch of us have had our butts exposed like that.
One thing about it, you will never have it happen again.
That rates right up there with an empty gas tank, Ha,LOL!
(Or installing an electric fence, turning it on, and still walking into it and almost pi$$ing yer pants,--- more than once) LOL!
Old 04-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Default Oh no!

I got my tractor out and cut my grass for the first time this year! It ran great the whole time. Then I was riding it around the garden for fun and it started pouring smoke from the starter I just had rebuilt! It got waaaay hot. I shut it off and now can’t get it to start again. Turn the key and I get a click but starter doesn’t try to crank and is only getting 5v. The s/g isn’t seized, I can turn the pulley by hand very easily. Battery still reads 12v
At this point I’m thinking the starter was getting too much power and overheated (perhaps due to the vr not doing it’s job) and perhaps that ruined the solenoid and/or something in the starter.
What do you think guys?

I’m on the verge of loading it up, taking it to pasco and asking them why the starter and vr they rebuilt didn’t function the same as the original and what thy can do to fix it.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:06 PM

Wait a minute, I'm confused here, I have a 129 and there is no electrical safety switch on the PTO. He said he had the belt and deck off so shouldn't be any drag from the deck when trying to start it.

Is mine missing something or does his have something added? I had to replace the VR on mine, that could be the culprit.

782, 982, 129
Old 04-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpickerray View Post
Wait a minute, I'm confused here, I have a 129 and there is no electrical safety switch on the PTO. He said he had the belt and deck off so shouldn't be any drag from the deck when trying to start it.

Is mine missing something or does his have something added? I had to replace the VR on mine, that could be the culprit.
My 149 has a PTO safety switch.
38" LT mower deck, 4 42" triangle mower decks, 2 44A mower decks, 2 50C mower decks, 42” GT deck, 3 42" snow/dirt blades, 42" landscape rake, #4 cart
Old 04-25-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpickerray View Post

They gave me a new vr that was “bench synched” to my s/g that they rebuilt so I put em both on. That’s my guess is that the vr wasn’t doing it’s job, allowed too much juice through and fried the s/g again already.
If I have the lever forward/ pto engaged, it won’t even click or try to do anything electrical. Some kind of a failsafe. It’s always been that way, at least on this one.

I feel like the problem is something that pasco did incorrectly or told me to wire incorrectly. I’ve just dropped it off there and explained to them the issue and that this is the first time I’ve used it since they rebuilt it. Hoping they don’t charge me much.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:15 PM

Glad you got it going. Mine don't have that safety feature, someone must have taken it off. I looked at the diagram and sure enough it shows one. Sorry to pop off about it, but mine don't have it and I figured none of them had it.

I hope they don't over charge you either. Good luck, Ray

782, 982, 129