Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 09:38 AM

Default ABI Gravel Grader and Gravel Rascal

I have a GTX2100 tractor and I am looking at the pull behind graders from ABI. ABI makes two versions. The Gravel Grader (GG) is for lawn tractors and the Gravel Rascal (GR) is for ATV/UTVs. It appears to me the GG is a limited version with less capabilities; depth of tines is max at 1.5”. The GR is more capable and available in larger widths; tines replaceable with different type and depth to 7”. In either version I am only looking at the smallest width. The GR is about $1,000 more than the GG.

When I spoke to ABI, they said the GR is too much for a lawn tractor. The transmissions will not hold up. They said the ATV and UTV transmissions are stouter. I was thinking he was wrong with respect to the GTX2100. This tractor and the newer XT3 are not the normal lawn tractor. The transmissions are made for ground engaging equipment.

Has anyone used either of these graders? Any advice with respect to thetractor I have on which is most appropriate?
Old 04-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Grand Member

Good morning and welcome to OCC. I checked out the website for the products you mentioned...seem like nice stuff. The two items you are interested in would work best pulled buy something with a heavier built transmission. Your Cub Cadet and the XT-3, in my opinion, are not durable enough to take the gruelling punishment of these attachments...particularly the Gravel Rascal. I would concur with the company rep. I would use an older Cub Cadet GT or SGT for that chore. You are in Ohio and we have plenty of older, stronger, well built Cub Cadets available for those tasks.

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 04-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Grand Member

ABI shows a little JD lawn tractor pulling their attachment,, surely the Cub Cadet is equal to that machine.

You can pull the attachment within reason, and on flat surfaces.
Add steep grades, all bets are off.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
ABI shows a little JD lawn tractor pulling their attachment,, surely the Cub Cadet is equal to that machine.

You can pull the attachment within reason, and on flat surfaces.
Add steep grades, all bets are off.
I replaced many hydros in little and bigger John Deere lawn tractors due to companies telling customers that their machine is capable of doing such work. The little lawn tractor pictured may do what is required in that pic...but let's face it, that does not appear to be a real world scenario.

Also to do any kind of serious leveling, grading the tractor needs a sturdy hitch and weight...wheel weights, filled tires and/or some front weight too.

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 04-02-2018, 02:55 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaCub View Post
Also to do any kind of serious leveling, grading the tractor needs a sturdy hitch and weight...wheel weights, filled tires and/or some front weight too.
Some people just want to replace the rake and shovel in the repair of 3 potholes on 100 feet of gravel driveway,, the LT can survive that,

The LT will not survive the lawn installation I helped my SIL do yesterday,,,
we used 200 pounds of grass seed,, a larger tractor was used,

A Super Cub Cadet was used to roll the area after the seed had been raked in,,

Old 04-02-2018, 12:34 PM

Agree. Just looking to maintain drive and a little misc things around the property. Not looking to do that much work.

Looks like you have a metal roller, correct? I was also looking at getting a roller. The metal ones look like they can be heavier. Any other +/- on that?
Old 04-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioDTK5 View Post
The GR is about $1,000 more than the GG.
I think your out of your mind to spend anywhere near that much money on that cheap thing. I don't know what the actual price is.... but if there is $1000 difference between the two, that's too much. I think that company is a little out there on price. You can buy a 6' box blade for a 40hp tractor that will do 5x the work for a less than $800 brand new! You can buy a 30hp - 50hp older Ford tractor (like a 3000) for $3000. That would be money much better spent. I think you are going to be very disappointed in what you actually can do with that implement for the money spent.

I agree with DeltaCub. ATV transmissions are built far heavier than a lawn tractor trans. I think it's a very bad idea to put ground engaging equipment on one.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioDTK5 View Post
Looks like you have a metal roller, correct? I was also looking at getting a roller. The metal ones look like they can be heavier. Any other +/- on that?
That roller is a DIY,
I used a piece of ductile iron pipe that is 1/2" thick, a piece of 2" pipe in the center for an axle, and it is filled with concrete.

Even at its weight, the Cub Cadet can pull it fast enough that when it hits a rock, the whole roller can fly in the air six inches.

If the rock is on soft soil, the rock will be driven down.
Speed seems to be more capable of moving rocks,,, than extra weight.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 PM

I agree with j-mech. I've been looking at graders for my 1000' gravel road for maintenance and if you are talking about a $1000 price difference you are already way too high. I'd go with just a DR grader and pull it behind my suv and not even worry about the tractor and you would be under $1000.