Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 01:02 AM
Grand Member

Default My Virginia 30 Acre Timber Sale

15 years ago, my older neighbor needed some extra retirement money, he offered to sell me some land.
I could afford it, so the wife and I decided to buy the land.
We really did not know what the timber was worth,, we just wanted a bigger buffer between us and the neighbor,
Well, one day a guy down the road sold some timber, I was astounded at the money he got,,,

3 1/2 years ago, we decided to sell the timber. I hired a forester, he cruised it, and I put it out for bids.
The half dozen bids that came back seemed too low,,, so, we rejected all of the bids.

One guy came back, and asked what we wanted,, out of the blue, I came up with a number that was 40% above the highest bid.
He responded that we would never get that,, my amount was "ridiculous"
I felt the price of timber would go up over time,, and my timber would grow,, so eventually, the my price would be correct.

If it took ten years,, I was willing to wait.
Well,, This past Saturday, the guy came to my house,,, with the check, for my "ridiculous" amount.
He said it would be a week or two before they showed up,,, Monday afternoon,, a D5 CAT was setting in my driveway,,,

The loggers dad came over the next morning, and widened my driveway entrance,,,

Wednesday, a skidder was unloaded

I think they were ready to start cutting my place!! :thumbsup:
More pics to follow,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAD-1.jpg (47.3 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg CAD-2.jpg (34.0 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg CAD-3.jpg (44.7 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg CAD-4.jpg (35.6 KB, 255 views)
Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 AM

you sold it before it was cut? around here it gets cut down, the the log buyer grades them and makes a check out to the owner and the logger. usually around a 50/50 split. there's no way to tell what they're worth until they're on the ground.
red 162 heavily weighted w/electric lift 23*stones and tri ribs(workhorse), 1250 weighted 23*stones and v61's(tiller tractor), 108 w/44" mower awaiting some work, 800 voted worst shape awaiting restoration, and a few random "other" branded tractors
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuilt View Post
you sold it before it was cut?
The check was deposited Monday morning,,,
Harvesting is expected to take 10 weeks.
If I sell on shares, I gotta track where and how EVERY load leaving goes.
I was not going to do that,,

I had a half dozen companies that wanted to do it on shares,,
How do you trust them?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuilt View Post
you sold it before it was cut? around here it gets cut down, the the log buyer grades them and makes a check out to the owner and the logger. usually around a 50/50 split. there's no way to tell what they're worth until they're on the ground.
Must be the only place where loggers do that. Most places they scout it, estimate it, pay for it, and hope they bid low.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Based on what I've seen around this area, I think John did the right thing. Get the $$$ before even allowing them on your land. Some of the loggers in this area are pretty sketchy.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
Based on what I've seen around this area, I think John did the right thing. Get the $$$ before even allowing them on your land. Some of the loggers in this area are pretty sketchy.
When I first started thinking about it,, one of the places I looked was on Craigs List,
I found a guy,, he came over,

well, after a couple hours walking, he said he was "pretty sure" if we did it on shares, that I would get 16% of what I ended up getting.

I do not doubt that a lot of people lose 84% of their money,,,

People get in a rush,, see $$$$ signs in front of their eyes,, and rush to the first offer.

I was willing to wait,, a decade if necessary,, it turns out I only had to wait 1/3 of a decade,,,
Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 AM

I just sold 3 walnut trees. I split $2800 with the logger who cut them and hauled them in. Amish man came out and payed us before they were cut. I was offered a 1k two years ago from someone else as my part of a split. Barn needs some new shingles. Mike
Old 03-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Must be the only place where loggers do that. Most places they scout it, estimate it, pay for it, and hope they bid low.
That's the way it works around here also J-mech.

I has some logged a few years ago and I had the money in the bank before the first chainsaw started.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Grand Member

If you stick to your guns, somebody will bend...... Even if takes a few years. And especially if you got good stuff.
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-O View Post
If you stick to your guns, somebody will bend...... Even if takes a few years. And especially if you got good stuff.
Yea, people see $$$ signs,, they want the money N O W

luckily, I was patient,,

"And especially if you got good stuff."
I have poplar that ranges from 24 to 36 inch diameter.
actually, very little poplar under 20 inch.
most of the big trees have 3 saw logs,, (I believe they are 12 feet?)
Some of the trees are over 60 feet tall (estimated, not measured)

I doubt anyone took a risk on the timber,,,

When the weather is nicer, I will measure one of the trees after the saw cuts it.
The saw came this morning,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAD-5.jpg (55.5 KB, 213 views)