Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 10-07-2017, 06:33 PM

Default Can't get my 2166 Cub Cadet to start...

I just started having an issue where my 2166 Cub Cadet wont start.

It's around a 2004 model.

I have checked and verified I have spark.
Air cleaner is fine
visually verified choke is working as intended
checked the seat switch and it's working as intended
Brake is set, PTO is off, throttle set to 1/2, choke on and tried with choke off, no difference.

It's 100% a fuel issue, I just cant figure out how to bypass the solenoid to get it started.

When I turn the key to the run position my headlights come on, I can hear the solenoid click but there is no fuel getting in the carb. If I play with the wires by the ignition switch with the key in the run postion I can hear click, click click. So maybe a bad ignition switch?

Last time this happened I just kept playing with the wires by the ignition switch until I could hear the click of the fuel solenoid and then it ran fine.

I have removed fuel lines to see if they were plugged etc and I haven't been able to find a clogged line.

If I pour gas in the spark plug hole, put the plug back in and try and start the mower it attempts to fire but wont stay running.

The engine turns over just fine.

Any ideas or anything I am missing?

I can't seem to locate the actual fuel solenoid.

Also, when the key is in the run position, none of the lights on the dash light up... I assume this is some electrical gremlin as I thought the dash lights were supposed to come on last time I had it running. I will charge the battery again and see if that's the issue, but I highly doubt it.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:39 AM
Administrator

My guess is that you have a clogged fuel line or some crap in the tank. Disconnect the fuel line at the pump on the engine, hold it down and see if fuel flows out of it. If it does hook it back up, remove the air cleaner and dribble some gas into the throat of the carb and see if you can get it going. I have a couple engines that need to be "Primed" if they sit for a while and I think that may be your problem.
BX2660 with FEL & Grassanator
Old 10-09-2017, 06:37 PM

I have checked the fuel lines, all seems ok. I had this exact same issue last time and I wiggled a wire where the key goes in on the back side and I was able to get it to start no problem.

It's hard to dribble gas in the air cleaner because it has a weird bracket on my 2166. I will try and remove that bracket so I can pour some fuel in there and get it started.

I know with snowmobile I used to have to pull the plugs, add some gas and put the plugs back in and start the machine up and that would prime the system and get it to start... I think something just isn't letting fuel get to the carb and my guess is it's that fuel seloniod.

I had to work a 70 hour week this past week, so haven't had time to look at it since.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Ok, unhooked the fuel line feeding the carb and cranked, no fuel. Hooked it back up.

Unhooked the first fuel connection under the hood that comes from the rear of the frame to a little junction box that says "IN". cranked, no fuel. Looks like a fuel pump.

It's acting like a fuel pump issue.

I need to jack the thing up and look under the rear to find where the tank fuel line hookup is so I can test back at the tank where the pump resides.

I am going to take an extension fuel line stick it in a bucket with fuel to act as the gas tank and then hook it direct to the pump where it says "IN".

Pretty sure the pump is bad.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I wiggled a wire where the key goes in on the back side and I was able to get it to start no problem.
The 2166 has a "Fuel Solenoid" that is electrically operated. Maybe you want to take a look at the Ignition (or Key) Switch. If the fuel solenoid isn't energized, through the Ignition Switch, then the engine won't start.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 10-09-2017, 07:27 PM

Ok, filled a cup with fuel, cranked and the pump started sucking the fuel... Within a few seconds the thing fired up and ran like a champ. Hooked it back up to the fuel filter to the rest of the hose that goes to the gas tank and it eventually died.

I can blow through the fuel filter fine. So must be a clog somewhere from the fuel filter back. I am going to use my air compressor and blow back to the tank to see if that works to clear the clog when I get time..
Old 10-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Grand Member

If there is a clog or a plugged screen in the tank, and you blow it back, it will
just clog again down the road.
And it you blow it back, do remove the gas cap first so you don't pressurize the tank.
If it were me, I'd remove the tank and clean it.
Also check for a screen and possibly a petcock on the bottom of the tank.
The parts look up will tell what you have in the bottom of the tank.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Grand Member

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/AR...0-A/0039200021
Here's your fuel system. No filter in the tank, BUT I would still clean it, oh and replace the filter, and lines should make a difference.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Due to the age of your tractor it's time to pull the fender pan. Remove the fuel tank. Clean the tank. Replace all of the fuel hose and filter. BTDT
BX2660 with FEL & Grassanator
Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 AM

i know this is a older thread now, i just had the same issue with a 08 1050, no fuel,to the pump.it turned out a small mud wasp like thing, had built a nest in the gas cap vacuum area plugging it up to where no fuel would flow to the pump.

crazy as the machine only sat for 10 days while waiting for my new motor to get to my house and be installed, and how crazy i too went trying to figure out why i had no gravity feed to the pump from the tank yet it would run if a hose was placed in a can.
50 years as a auto mechanic and a stinking little bug gets me.