Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Default Narrow vs wide frame, are the wide models superior?

Hi all. I was wondering about the two lines, narrow vs wide. I understand the sheet metal and frame differences. I know that both styles have loyal fans (one guy has a site dedicated to NF). But are the wide frames better tractors? I am looking for some impartial info and reasons why. Are the WFs easier to work on? What else?

I am trying to decide if I should sell my 105 and look for a WF. Due to financial restraints and wanting to keep my marriage happy, my Cub collection can only consist of one right now. I want one of each line some day, gear and hydro, but for right now I am probably going to settle one one hydro model.

One last guestion. Does the hydro lift on a wide frame work (lift) the deck, a plow blade/snow blower and the rear 3 point if so equipped?

Thanks guys.

"Chug a lug a luggin' 5 miles an hour on my International Harvester"

"Don't forget that ignition key !!"
Old 10-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Two difference are worth noting.. on the wide frame there is a tunnel cover that is removeable which makes driveshaft repairs much easier.

If you get into the quiet line wide frame you get into the isolation cradle motor mount setup, which can be frustrating to install and has probably contributed to many guys buying green. It gets really expensive to fix a QL where someone has let it go to the point of oil pan leaks.

Of course the styling is a huge difference, too. Not as different as a H and a 1466, but close. I am getting so I prefer the looks of the narrow frame, especially the 100 and Original.

I feel there is actually more difference between a 3 speed and a hydro to the user, I doubt you will notice much difference if you stick to the same size engine.

There seem to be more junker quietlines out there, if you really want one keep your 105 and find a 1650,1250, 1200, or 1450 in need of a lot of TLC and enjoy the project. Heck If you really were desperate I bet I have extra enough parts to build one up here in ALbany except for a motor..

I beleive the hydro lift is actuating the same rockshaft that manually lifts the impliments so , yup.
Quietlines and narrow frames, mostly projects but I mow with a 1200 and have a 122 set up for pulls. Wandering the country bringing towers to wind farms everywhere, and bringing yellow stuff home to Texas. Also into flatfender jeeps.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 PM

Default 2 cents

I agree with truckntran ..the best I think are the 149's, hydraulics,hydro, lotta power.might be a little harder to find, but worth it..I sold mine, and regret it...quietlines will test your patience..great when fine tuned, but they are a labor of love..the best I now own are the 82 series
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 PM

MrChic,

I'm not impartial. I prefer a narrow frame. I own a WF and I don't care for it. It is a hydro static drive and I don't care for that either, although I can see the maneuverability advantage to it. The biggest is being able to change your ground speed on the go. But I digress.

I find the narrow frames easier to work on. I don't like removing shields and covers on a WF. I also prefer the looks of a NF. And I especially like the 72 series and before models. The 73 series went to the WF fenders and in my book that makes them look wider and somehow modular. I don't know because I don't own on but my WF (129) had the battery under the seat. I really prefer my battery in the engine compartment. I've read that the QL have an electric pto clutch. And that you can not ease into it. It's all or nothing. That would drive my to sell or otherwise get rid of it.

In the end it's up to you, your tastes, and the way you feel most comfortable working. They all need maintenance and up keep. They all work great when they are at specs. And the best part is they are all Cub Cadets.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Grand Member

MrChic,

You gotta get your wife interested in Cub Cadets... Then she will bug the crap out of you till you get another one.

As far as one being better than the other... I dunno man, it's really fun to use/work on an Original, 70, 100 or even a 1X2/3 series but, depending on what you're doing, sometimes you want the comfort and stability of a Wide Frame... It really depends on what you're looking for in a garden tractor. As far as one being "better" than the other, it depends on your personal likes/dislikes and what you intend to do with it. They all have their place and they are all fun to use.

Watching my Daughters face really kinda says it all for me, when she's messing around driving an Original, she can't keep from smiling, when she's pushing snow with a 123 she looks happy as a Lark, when she's cuttin grass on a wide frame she looks happy, content and relaxed. Ask her which one she would rather be using and she'll tell you, "I dunno, depends on what I'm doing and how I feel at the time".

In short: She can't make up her mind and neither can I and that's FINAL!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
by Yosemite Sam
You gotta get your wife interested in Cub Cadets... Then she will bug the crap out of you till you get another one.

As far as one being better than the other... I dunno man, it's really fun to use/work on an Original, 70, 100 or even a 1X2/3 series but, depending on what you're doing, sometimes you want the comfort and stability of a Wide Frame... It really depends on what you're looking for in a garden tractor. As far as one being "better" than the other, it depends on your personal likes/dislikes and what you intend to do with it. They all have their place and they are all fun to use.

Watching my Daughters face really kinda says it all for me, when she's messing around driving an Original, she can't keep from smiling, when she's pushing snow with a 123 she looks happy as a Lark, when she's cuttin grass on a wide frame she looks happy, content and relaxed. Ask her which one she would rather be using and she'll tell you, "I dunno, depends on what I'm doing and how I feel at the time".

In short: She can't make up her mind and neither can I and that's FINAL!
That is the way I feel too. Best thing anyone can do is find a Cub that you like and go for it.

One thing I do notice is the newer ones are harder to work when it comes to electrical issues. I have worked on 70-100s to a 2182. The Quiet Line was the first series that the wiring starts to become a pain.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the advice and opinions guys. If I had a 100 I wouldn't even think of selling. But I have a 105. Its does have the 3 point and brinly adapter and I have a spring assist I have yet to put on. The WF I am looking at is a 149 with the hydro lift and headlights. $400 with a just a deck, I think. Looks to be pretty clean. I don't know, maybe I will just install the spring assist and tinker with the 105 for now. I do like the look of the NF a little better. But the hydro lift would be nice.

"Chug a lug a luggin' 5 miles an hour on my International Harvester"

"Don't forget that ignition key !!"
Old 10-30-2009, 06:52 PM

MrChic,

Once you get your spring assist installed you just might forget all about that hydraulic lift. I did.:biggrin2.gif:
Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Inactive Member

I think it depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you're going to be using a snowthrower or a tiller, you're going to want that hydro lift, plus the 4 extra hp would really help there too. If you're just going to mow grass then your 105 would be fine. Just stick with a 42" or smaller deck. The 149 would be able to spin up to a 50" deck. Also remember that your spring assist will help a lot with lifting implements. Plus, for under $400, you can add hydro lift to your 105.

Don't fool yourself that all you ahve is a 105. 105's are actually kinda rare. You really don't see many of them. I probably see one 105 to ten 149's.

AJ
1979 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]682- Mag18, Sleeve Hitch, Spring Assist, #1 Tiller
1980 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]782- Mag18, Sleeve Hitch
1983 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]982- Stock, Fully Optioned
Old 10-30-2009, 07:52 PM

MrChic. 400 bucks for a clean 149 with deck is a steal. I really think you should buy it and keep you 105. But then again I'm a bit partial to 149's...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00907.jpg (126.2 KB, 666 views)