Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

View Poll Results: Is this thread informative?
Not a chance 2 5.00%
sort of but not really 8 20.00%
yes, want to come back and read some more 16 40.00%
yes, want to search for a 982 myself now 10 25.00%
get a life! 4 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Grand Member

Default Ih 982

Need some input....

If you have a guy selling what looks like a tractor in mint shape, how do you determine what it is worth? IH 982, with 50C deck, no 3 pth, no pto, everything is original, less than 500 hours on it - what is it worth? The paint, the deck, tires, seat, everthing seems to be in almost perfect shape. ??? How much $ would you pay for it? US or Canadian funds?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Heritage View Post
Need some input....

If you have a guy selling what looks like a tractor in mint shape, how do you determine what it is worth? IH 982, with 50C deck, no 3 pth, no pto, everything is original, less than 500 hours on it - what is it worth? The paint, the deck, tires, seat, everthing seems to be in almost perfect shape. ??? How much $ would you pay for it? US or Canadian funds?
Funny thing. A 782 with 500 hrs on it PO church. Looked great. On eBay. The seller never got his reserve. That bidding went to just over $800.00(USD). Then he listed it as buy now for $1000.00. Did not sell. The last I looked it was being offered for $700.00 and still no takers. So what is it worth???? Probably a couple grand. What you should be asking is what are you willing to pay to make it yours!

I hope you got that message I sent you on the auction in Springfeild??? Ontario.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Grand Member

YES! I did get the message - thank you very much. I am waiting on them to send me the pictures of the unit when it arrives next week. I have talked with the Auction company about it. How much am I willing to pay for a 982?? I would for sure pay a fair price - but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners on it either. I haven't been around these things long enough to know what is a good deal and what isn't? I know I have seen 782's sell for $550 to $800 - but in my eyes they looked a little rough? This 982 looks like in nice shape - but $2500.00 us is that too much for a tractor that looks barly broke in? Problem is I can't compare it anything that I have used farily. A new zero turn goes for abotu $7,000.00 Canadian here for a good comercial unit - that is what I was considering to buy for my 2 acres of grass - but then I can only mow grass with it. If I buy a "tractor" like the 982 or a 782....then I can mow and actually do work with it! Since we all know these are actually tractors to do work with! From what I see - this 982 would be worth easly $800 to $1,000.00 I would say, but maybe I have rocks in my head too???
Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Mountain Heritage,

800 - 1K is stealing one from what I have seen. I don't own an 82 series so I really don't know anything about them. What I have noticed is I have yet to see one sell with ag tires. I don't know why. Also it seems to me that the owners of this series of tractor just love to do modifications to them. I also don't know why this is.

So I sounds like you are looking at an unmolested 982. From my understanding from reading, a top of the line unit. I don't know how many were made. Only very recently have they been coming on the market with any sort of regularity. I think the reason for this is two fold.

One, they command a good price when they are in good condition. And some do that aren't in my opinion. Two. The economy is tuff. I don't care what the news wants too feed us, things are hard for to many. And because of the resale value of the 82's I think people are selling what they have that will get them the most. I also know that these tractors that are being sold now will be around after this economic mess. And many people will wish they had kept their tractor(s???).

I'm gonna go out on yet another limb to say that the 7 - 982 owners on the forum haven't chimed in on this yet because they spent good money to get theirs. They aint bragging or complaining. They are just not saying. I think that is OK. I wouldn't and don't either. To the best of my memory I have only said what I paid for one of mine. And I was honked-off and complaining. All of this is to say that if you want it...get it. If you can steal it fine. If not... hey it's yours now. Have fun with the process. And get what you want when you can. - Peace -
Old 10-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Mountain Heritage
I own a 1980 982 and love it. I've seen a non running 982 sell on ebay for $1700.00. I paid $1300.00 for mine and had to drive 7 hrs to get it when gas was over $3.50 per gallon so with motel gas and paying for everything for a buddy to ride with me it probably cost me close to $1600.00. It gave me good service with heavy use for about 1.5 years before it broke a rod , it had a Linamar 20hp replacement in it. I'm now about to install a 27hp Kohler in it. I may start using it to bush hog with or mow down small trees (just kidding). Keep in mind that these are the 1st super garden tractors and had a $4500.00 sale price.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Grand Member

See, this is what I am unsure about...$2500.00 is alot of money..but look at what your getting, something that will last a long time! To me it looks in mint shape - very little scratches etc on it.?? Very confusing, the transportation is free for me basically, and it will cost about $100.00 for me to get it into Canada plus some GST at 5%...so not too bad?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Grand Member

Does it have dual turning brakes or front hyd ports? That will make a big difference. If not, I wouldn't pay more than 1200.00 for it just because it would just be a big 782. With front ports and turning brakes I'd probably pay 2000.00 just because it doesn't have power steering or 3pt. Now this is in my area. Your area they may go for more.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Grand Member

See, this is the problem - in my area there wasn't too many sold of any of the 82 series. I checked with my buddy on the Fire Department that has lived and breathed IH his entire life - his old man owned a dealership until the day he died. He know some about the 82 series, but they were not a big seller here because of the price. It is dairy farming area here, not a lot of money back then when they were produced. So we really don't have much to go on. From what I understand - no power steering, no front ports or turning brakes, no 3pth either....
Old 10-03-2009, 12:27 AM

Man like RPalmer said, "All of this is to say that if you want it...get it. If you can steal it fine. If not... hey it's yours now."

If you want it, and if you have the money then get it. I don't want to sound like a cheerleader but this is from my own experience:

This past April I was looking for a utility tractor, something with a FEL. I had just started exploring the world of Cubs when I happened to come across an 1882 with FEL and a 3 point. Heck I didn't even really know what a 3 point was but I knew it was good. The price was $4500.00. A lot of money. BUT the moment I saw this 1990 beast I knew that I wanted it. I had nothing to compare with it but a 2006 CC 5232D with FEL, cat 1 3 point and rear PTO for $7000.00. I didn't want to shell out $7000 so I bought the 1882. Was it a good deal? I don't know but I know that it was cheaper than $7000 and its a freakin' cool tractor that has done a lot of work around my 2 acres. I am happy with my decision.
The whole point is this: if there aren't a lot around your area then you really can't shop around can you? You take what you can get. IF the 982 is something that you think that you can use and will like then:
Buy it if YOU CAN AFFORD TO.

IT BASICALLY BOILS DOWN TO THESE 4 questions you must ask yourself:
1. Is it in good shape?
2. Do I like it?
3. Will it be usefull for me?
4. Can I afford it?
If you answer no to any of the above don't buy it.

If it seems like I've been rambling I would like to apologize. I can sense exactly where your coming from. Your questions are the same ones that I was pondering when I was trying to decide whether to buy the 1882 or the 5232D. I was asking EVERYONE I knew for advice. I finally decided after I test drove the 1882 around the dealer's lot for 30 minutes that it was the one for me. Hope I helped some.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Grand Member

If they are rare around your area and if you can afford it, i'd get it. You can always add some of the options to it later a little at a time.