Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1650Dave View Post
BTW, I keep getting Google hits on a site that looked like it had great material, but the site was always down. I think it was called "IHresource.com" or something like that. I'm sure you guys are familiar with it. Is it defunct?
Dave

Don't worry about any other site we've got your back! Sweet looking 1650! Your heading in the right direction with your work! If you can't repair that foot rest you can swap out the fender pan and you'll be set.

Thank you for all the pics! We love pics!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Grand Member

Well, were not done with the welcome yet! Nice score on the International Harvester model 1650! Yup, like flys to manure, folks flock to the name JD! You have chosen wisely! Welcome to Only Cub Cadets!
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES
Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 AM

Yeah, before I even bought a tractor I loved reading the restore threads with lots of pics, so I'll try to keep it going. It's hard to think about grabbing the camera when you're knee deep in something, and then there's the "greasing the camera" issue.

I talked to the salvage guy who sold me the tractor today. He has an 1100 parting out that has a better fender pan on it, although it would need some reshaping to the right rear fender. He said he'd sell it to me for $25, so that's not bad.

I'll see if I can get this one back in shape. That's one of the reasons I wanted to take this project, to challenge myself to things I haven't done a lot of - like reshaping metal. I used to watch a lot of "Trucks" when Stacy did it, and it interested me in such things.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:07 AM

I was happy to find one with the side panels. The 1250 I looked at before didn't have them, and the more I read, the more I realize how lucky I am to get them.

I wonder what was up with the previous owner and that black paint on the rear wheels. Well, heck - worse yet - what's he doing sending this tractor to the scrap yard? Wish I would have met him before he did, I'd have offered him a case of beer or something.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Welcome to the forum, it looks like you are off to a great start!

A couple of tips- a razor blade works good for cleaning the top of the piston and combustion chamber as long as you are careful not to scratch the piston. You can use a small wire wheel in an electric drill to clean the valves as long as you stay away from the piston, as you'll scratch that in a hurry. Be sure to completely remove oven cleaner from anything you touch with that, as it is rather corrosive, particularly to aluminum. If you visit the 'how-to' section of my website (link is in my signature line) there are a few documents you may find helpful since this is your first Cub Cadet.

Also, that deck probably has some rust holes you can't see yet if you haven't separated the stiffener plate from the deck shell. The stiffener plate was assembled to the deck before painting from the factory, so any water trapped between the two rusts the deck really bad. You'll probably find some holes to weld up when you get it sandblasted. An electric or pneumatic impact wrench is the way to remove the spindle nuts. A torch is also very helpful for the smaller ones; if you heat the nuts to a dull red, they'll typically spin off easily.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Default 1650

Hi Dave,

i'm a nube also , your 1650 caught my eye. Your gonna love that machine

From one QL to another

B.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:55 PM

You got that at Regals where I work.I am not at the main yard anymore or else it would be sitting at my house . I am glad you got it , but I am alittle burned up at Buddy and John cause they know I collect them , I guess coming in on sundays to service their loaders really paid off so they wouldn't be down during the week really paid off . congrats Dave nothing against you I hope it looks sweat when it is done
Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 PM

Matt G. - Thanks, good info. I have read and saved your head gasket replacement PDF, and I have the carb rebuild one open. This will be helpful stuff!

Today, I was running a wheel on the top of the valves, and it bumped over and "scuffed" the top of the piston. I was thinking it's no big deal, but now reading what you wrote I'm a little paranoid. There'll be some pics in my update to follow, see what you think.

I also have some questions regarding the valve cleaning, hopefully you can comment on the post forthcoming.

I imagine you're probably right about the deck. We'll see how it looks after sandblasting.

Thanks for the tips, and good job on the site!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgtguy View Post
Hi Dave,

i'm a nube also , your 1650 caught my eye. Your gonna love that machine

From one QL to another

B.
Ah yeah, I read your thread. Great restore job for a "noob" I wish you would have posted all thru the process, I could have learned from you. Ah well, do it on your next tractor. There's another Cub out there waiting for your excellent work.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinmMichigan View Post
You got that at Regals where I work.I am not at the main yard anymore or else it would be sitting at my house . I am glad you got it , but I am alittle burned up at Buddy and John cause they know I collect them , I guess coming in on sundays to service their loaders really paid off so they wouldn't be down during the week really paid off . congrats Dave nothing against you I hope it looks sweat when it is done
Ha! You're right Matt. I didn't even remember the name of the place until you reminded me. John and George have been pretty cool with me. I stopped back by the other day to see if George had sat the air cleaner cover aside, 'cause it's missing. No luck. Now I've got to source one of those.

Sorry you missed out on this one, but I hope you enjoy following my work and help out when you can.