Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadslingingdaddy View Post
If you want a site to sit and BS go to FB.... Winter time = Less seat time
Brevity is the real sign of intelligence.
Don't need old threads opened up or rehashed....Its called a search...
The ones that need to know, know what I'm doing...

Like I tell my employees...

Be Brief
Be Brilliant
Be Gone

This site is another tool in the tool box... Some wrenches are better than others... : - )
To some people this site is just a tool but this resource wouldn't be here without the senior members and their enthusiasm for cubs. They built this site because they enjoy BS'ing all things cubs. Nothing wrong with having a hobby.

Barn fresh 1811 with:
44c mowing deck
QA42A snow thrower
42" snow blade
Old 12-28-2017, 08:00 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrobert View Post
To some people this site is just a tool but this resource wouldn't be here without the senior members and their enthusiasm for cubs. They built this site because they enjoy BS'ing all things cubs. Nothing wrong with having a hobby.
Agreed. Forums exist ( or don't ) because of a sense of community. It's not a Cub thing, it's a forum fact.

If the charter for OCC is nothing more than search and lookup, then creating a cub wiki is all that would be needed. If information on a fix is the only purpose of the forum AND if we don't foster newbies who have questions that have already been answered before, then there's no need to *have* a forum, and the attrition will continue. Want to cut down the repetitive questions (which will never totally happen in an online forum) then organize the FAQ and sticky section.

Dialog, pictures, enthusiasm, pictures, support for newbies who ask the same tiresome questions (that we all probably asked once upon a time) , pictures, and courtesy builds and sustains a forum ... or a club, or a family, or a friendship.

If you look in the older posts, there was 2-3 times the posts that exist here today, regardless of the season. Many/most of the regular posters that left were accomplished and competent long term Cub owners/mechanics and restorers. I've found a good number of them on other forums, and only a very few on Facebook (which IS a horrible place to get , find and store technical info, and is primarily a place to find out what Uncle Floyd had for lunch today).

In any case, it's up to us (and the Admins/owners). Is this a place for a handful of grumpy experienced Cub mechanics, or a community for people who enjoy using, owning and repairing Cubs.

It's really only sustainable if the answer is both.

John
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
Very good guidelines for sure!
Like others, I think it really is the slow season, for about 2 more weeks. I've got 2 Cadets in the middle of the shop now that I haven't touched in 2 weeks. One is a 782, the other is a 124. Too much else going on with Christmas upon us to worry with them right now. Heck, I have a small fortune in parts sitting here for my 2284 that need to be put on.
Other than these, no real plans for extensive Cadet work this winter. But I do have some older farm tractors that need TLC--some of them are red.
Yep, its the slow season. A few weeks ago I took the 54" deck off my 2284 and put the 551 blower on it and it hasn't moved since. I'm sort of wishing I lived up in Erie right now. As soon as we get a good Nor'easter up the east coast the site will probably light up again with tractor and snowblower questions. Or winter maintenance questions to get ready for spring. I may be one of those question askers, since I have never used my blower, and might have some questions... and I surely will post some action pictures if/when that time comes.

By the way, I hate "faceplant" and refuse to go anywhere near it. In 2012 I had a knock at my door from Child Protective Services because my wife posted a picture of our then 6 year old daughter standing in front of a frying pan of eggs cooking, and someone on my friends list took exception to that and thought it was child endangerment. They said in their report to CPS "Where are the parents" and included a copy of the photo. Hey anonymous dummy, WHO took the picture??? A thorough investigation found no wrong doing... So yeah, I blew up my Facebook account and lost a lot of friends over that because I lost all trust for pretty much everyone on my "friends" list not knowing who did it. Whew, that rant went off the "off topic" topic quickly... Sorry about that.
#2 cart
GREEN 314 with integral sleeve hitch, H2 and independent brake upgrade from a 317, and front hydraulic blade, 48" deck
Old 12-28-2017, 09:13 AM

I'm a new member I can say that there are tons of very helpful people here and there are a couple that can be smart a$$es and give the wrong impression. Some of us are very very new to cubs, like myself, I have only had my 127 for a week or so now. I know how to fix just about everything with a little direction from this forum. My father has had tons of cubs and even did tractor pulls with his Oliver 70. I can always ask him and leave this site but I was looking to join something more and so far my experience has been wish washy with kindness and people making myself and other look like idiots.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:13 AM

The hardest thing sometimes for people to realize, is that when you have a higher level of knowledge on a subject, that others are not at or may not be able to be at your same level of knowledge. Twenty years ago I was sitting in my office working on administrative stuff for my practice when my office manager came in and said my new patient was ready. I was annoyed because I was in the middle of something. I was also annoyed because my practice was not growing. I relayed this frustration to a very successful business owner I knew. What he told me changed my life. He told me that when the very thing you want becomes an annoyance you will always fail. I had to decide did I want to be an administrator or a clinician. I chose admin and hired an associate and my practice exploded. The patients sensed that I was distracted and annoyed. Now twenty years later I own a small mom and pop hardware store. My employees are constantly getting frustated by customers that have no idea what they want or how to do what they are trying to accomplish. I have to keep reminding them that these customers are our life's blood and keep us in business. The same holds true for any group including a forum. Since I have joined many have left or stopped posting. New members need to be made to feel at home and comfortable not like they are an annoyance or stupid. I am not so sure why people even care how many times a question is answered or if some one does not take the advice that is given. If you do not want to answer again then don't if they don't listen who cares that's on them. Otherwise you will be perceived as a group of grumpy old men chastising every one for not knowing better. Whether you agree or not the truth is new blood is needed to make any organization thrive. Students, customers, patients or members it does not matter you need them or fail. The tone of the forum is set by the tone of current members. Trying to get less repeat questions or uneducated members will not help, the nature of a forum is for less knowledgeable to talk to more knowledgeable. Until this is understood the forum will continue to shrink.
1872 3pnt, 44" deck, Brinly Plow, 54" Power Angle Plow
2072 3pnt 50" deck, Brinly Plow
2072 50" deck
Cub Cadet Tank 50 Zero Turn
Cub Cadet 33" Commercial Walk Behind
1953 Ih Cub with just about every implement
New Holland TC33D with Loader and Backhoe
Old 12-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Banned

I can't believe people are still posting in this thread.....

LET IT GO boys. Let it go. Go participate in a worthwhile thread. One that actually helps someone. I'm tired of this one still popping in the "New Posts" list.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post

LET IT GO boys. Let it go. Go participate in a worthwhile thread. One that actually helps someone. I'm tired of this one still popping in the "New Posts" list.
CCC 12.5 w/deck
Plus 35 or so non IH tractors
Old 12-28-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:

I think it's important for site sponsors and others who donate and pay for this forum to know why they are loosing members.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Grand Member

DRCVJ said: " My employees are constantly getting frustrated by customers that have no idea what they want or how to do what they are trying to accomplish. I have to keep reminding them that these customers are our life's blood and keep us in business. The same holds true for any group including a forum."

This is the key point. If all forum members knew what they were doing, could search well, and knew the Cub supply chain, there would be precisely zero traffic. Wouldn't that be fun!

I worked in retail (blessedly for a short period of time!) and I quickly realized that in any technical field (hardware, electronics, etc) few people know what they need, while many know what they want. In a perfect world, it's the same thing, but ....

John (another grumpy old man, but not here
147, 122
parts

It's only original ONCE!
Old 12-28-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:

The mere fact that you can't believe the thread is still going proves the relevance of the thread. It is really funny you are the first one to condemn some one for asking the same thing over and over or not listening to what they are told but yet you were told the same thing over and over and over and over, removed as a moderator and still don,t get it. Irony at it's best. Read what the new poster said their experience is like being new to the forum. Not good. This thread helps who ever chooses it to be helpful. You do not get to choose what thread is worthwhile for anyone except yourself. If it is not important to you, no one is forcing you to post in this thread. LET IT GO. JUST LET IT GO. You are not the thread police. :beatdea dhorse:
1872 3pnt, 44" deck, Brinly Plow, 54" Power Angle Plow
2072 3pnt 50" deck, Brinly Plow
2072 50" deck
Cub Cadet Tank 50 Zero Turn
Cub Cadet 33" Commercial Walk Behind
1953 Ih Cub with just about every implement
New Holland TC33D with Loader and Backhoe
Closed Thread