Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Default I got robbed!

Well, today I was out muzzloading hunting in Parke Co., IN and got what I thought was a nice doe. Once I got up to her to field dress her, I saw a horrible abcess and infection throughout her left hindquarters that appeared to have spread to her abdomen. Saw evidence of someone's 12 gauge slug that passed through her hind end, but missed bone. I figure she had been hit last month during firearms season.

The strange thing is that she appeared fine while I watched her trotting through the woods, and she even stared at me for a bit. Looked perfectly healthy.

Obviously not taking a chance on keeping that one. Contacting DNR to let them know.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Grand Member

Kelpie,
To bad about loosing that deer. Had a similar situation during muzzle loader season couple years back too.
Big doe circled my son a hundred yards away and came near my stand and stopped. I shot and the deer went right down. During dressing I found similar problems that you found. This was actually a buck that had lost its horns and had been shot during archery or gun season.
I believe that the hesitation is the fact that they are suffering and are looking for a quick exit from this world. You did a good deed.
Keep your head up and keep hunting!
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Grand Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of the deer, but you did the ethical thing. I know that there is something I read one time about deer being wounded and become infected. The infection goes through the blood stream and infectes the whole animal, I know I would'nt have ate any of it. Better safe than sorry.
Here's a few pictures of a doe we had around a few years back with a tumer, never knew what happend to her though.
Also a buck with a chunk of his shoulder gone from the neighbors marksmanship.
They are one tough critter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDY_0081.jpg (14.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg CDY_0082.jpg (15.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg fr.jpg (19.8 KB, 157 views)

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:35 PM

I have heard of that happening sometimes, but this is the first time in 25 years that I have seen it.

I am glad that she's out of her misery. On the plus side, my new muzzleloader and scope performed flawlessly. Season's over now, so I'm looking forward to next year.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post
I hear you, some spots in WI are below goal, but in the farm country around here, it's way over goal. We've been planting foodplots for many years now, our deer management group became a dealer for the Whitetail Institute, (Imperial brand products) four years ago. At our place here, this year we planted five and a half acres of foodplots, all annuals, it does the deer good while it's there, that should be enough to get them into March, but it will be gone before the middle of Jan.
The neighbors take advantage of it by posting close to the fence line, but it is what it is. We'll just keep doing our thing, we were doing the management three years before the neighbors decided to try it. They couldn't figure out where all these bucks were coming from all of a sudden Dah!
I keep saying we'll do what we can, we harvested nine does this year and one buck. But the neighbors will still say there is no deer. If that was true, we wouldn't of been able to harvest nine does!
For the life of me I don't understand people's thinking? Why everyone is so concerned about shooting a buck? Shooting a buck is a plus but dem'dere does for the most part r better eating. My last hunt I came home without meat. I saw a great 10 pointer & made it a quest to get him & no other deer. That will never happen again.

I held out & when it came down to my last day to hunt. I lucked out & didn't get to tag up. That final morning the wind was blowing 25/30 miles per hr.. Seemed as if all wildlife just layed down. My wife was pissed, she has NEVER EVER said anything about my hunting in all the years we've been married but she told me to never do this again. We look forward to venison & this year we will just think about it.

Another gripe, since I'm rolling along;

Hunters outlook is just not taking a buck. For the last 4/5 years all the bucks they mention is in a class range. It used to be a, 8 pointer, a 10 pointer, now it's, oh I saw a 120', oh I missed a 140, hey look at my deer I rough scored it to be a 135.5.

Just ranting along to get this off my chest.

Nik,
Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
For the life of me I don't understand people's thinking? Why everyone is so concerned about shooting a buck? Shooting a buck is a plus but dem'dere does for the most part r better eating. My last hunt I came home without meat. I saw a great 10 pointer & made it a quest to get him & no other deer. That will never happen again.

I held out & when it came down to my last day to hunt. I lucked out & didn't get to tag up. That final morning the wind was blowing 25/30 miles per hr.. Seemed as if all wildlife just layed down. My wife was pissed, she has NEVER EVER said anything about my hunting in all the years we've been married but she told me to never do this again. We look forward to venison & this year we will just think about it.

Another gripe, since I'm rolling along;

Hunters outlook is just not taking a buck. For the last 4/5 years all the bucks they mention is in a class range. It used to be a, 8 pointer, a 10 pointer, now it's, oh I saw a 120', oh I missed a 140, hey look at my deer I rough scored it to be a 135.5.

Just ranting along to get this off my chest.

Nik,
I know what you mean. I know guys that will only shoot a "trophy". I have gotten about two that could have been mounted, but didn't shoot them because of that. I usually shoot what I can drag out of the woods and not kill myself. I also like the "non-monster" deer because they taste better.

Last year I passed on a nice doe because she was still being followed by a fawn. Didn't want to cause the fawn to starve.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Grand Member

"Last year I passed on a nice doe because she was still being followed by a fawn. Didn't want to cause the fawn to starve.[/QUOTE]"
The fawn will be fine, they are capable of surviving without milk at three months or less. As soon as their rumen is developed and can digest their food, they will be fine.
The fawns will stay with her until she gives birth the following year, so if your waiting for a doe to be fawn-less, it won't happen.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 AM

well heres a few of mine for this year...

some plots from my hunt land..

" the cabbage patch "

" slaughter hill "

some does..

some bucks..

only saw this joker on the camera....

more.........

mowing LT1045, plowing 149, tilling 149, parts 149...
plows, harrows, cultivators, box blade, tillers...

I like fast cars, big trucks, and yellow tractors!

My photo album

Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 AM

the pay off.....

a few birds from the spring....

all the deer were shot with my rem700 .270 / nikon combo
birds shot with a 22" mossberg 835 ulti w/ #6 nitro loads and a primos XFT choke

mowing LT1045, plowing 149, tilling 149, parts 149...
plows, harrows, cultivators, box blade, tillers...

I like fast cars, big trucks, and yellow tractors!

My photo album

Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Grand Member

Making me DROOL, venison & deep fried turkey. Deep fried in my opinion is the only was to go.

Nik,

That seems like one big bird?