Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Beautiful.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM

The decals really make these look nice. Seeing yours and MattG's was plenty of motivation to take on my own little project. It went really smooth except for the front axle pivot pin. I did a number on it getting it out and now I need a new one. I can't wait to see your finished project.
Ian
Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Grand Member

Merk thats really looking great.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
by IanC
It went really smooth except for the front axle pivot pin. I did a number on it getting it out and now I need a new one. I can't wait to see your finished project.
Ian
This is my second 70/100 that I done. I had problems removing the axle pin on both. There is someone ebay that sells the pin for $8 to $10. This includes the spiroid pin that holds the axle pin in place.

My Son's 86 has a bolt in place instead of a pin. We had to remove half of the pin's head thickness so that it clears the oil pan on his 14 horsepower Kohler.

I will add a grease zerk that goes to axle pin. The newer narrow frame front axles have a grease zerk from the factory.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM

I saw those on eBay. I'll try my local CC dealer first just b/c there's a "chance" they'll have one. I won't order one from them though.
I ended up taking a bullpen and a 6# to that pin. When it finally came out, there was no hole for the spirol pin. That's how bad I messed it up. Thanks for the tip.
Ian
Old 08-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Grand Member

The steering assembly needs rebuilt.

Few pictures of the steering assembly before rebuild:

First thing I like to do is remove the 2 nuts that holds the lever and bolt assembly on the steering box.

I noticed the foam seal wasn't in the correct place. That will need replace.

The adjusting plug comes out next. There is a cotter pin that goes through this hole to keep adjusting plug in place.

Once the the adjusting plug is removed the cam and tube assembly comes out the lower end of the steering assembly.
Here are a few pictures of the parts inside the steering box:

Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Grand Member

Looks like the cam follower stub needs some attention. It has flat spots on it. That is a wear part in the steering. It can be rework in a lathe or replace the the part.

All the steering parts were cleaned and inspected to see what needs replaced. Steering tube was sanded and painted.

Waiting in steering parts to show up
Old 08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Grand Member

Time for assembly
The first thing I like to do is install is the retainer and ball assembly. I like to use grease in the balls to keep them in place.

The adjusting plug is installed and ajusted.

I like to pack the housing with grease.

The seal and seal retainer goes on next.

The foam part goes against the steering box.

Most times the cam follower stud will need replace or it can be rework. If you have access to a lathe the the cam follower stud is an easy repair. If you don't have access to a lathe you can put the the cam follower stud on a drill press and use a file or a grinder to rework the stud.

Next goes the washer and jam nut(s). I don't use the factory washer and nuts. Instead I use a lock nut, needle-roller style thrust bearing and washer from McMaster-Carr.

Part number for thrust washer is 5909K32.
Part number for washer is5909K45. You need 2 washers.
Most Cubs have a plastic upper bearing in the top of steering column. I like to replace the plastic bushing/bearing with a bearing from a front wheel.

Last step is do final adjustment on the adjusting plug that is on the end of the steering box and cam follower stud. Make sure you install the cotter pin on the adjusting plug.
Steering column is ready to install.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 PM

Merk,
A while back I was at "my" CC dealer and while we were looking for some used parts together ( I love that part ) I asked him if rebuilding a steering column was as straight forward as it appeared to be. He hesitated a bit and said straight forward? Not really. But I have to say that what you have shown looks pretty straight forward to me.

Thanks as always for the great pictures and walk through on what many consider a mystery repair.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Merk, fantastic, step-by-step with great photos. I really appreciate them!!