Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 07-28-2021, 09:52 AM

Yes I replaced the fuel filter as it was missing entirely (as was all the lines inside the tank since the disintegrated). It will fire up and stay running as long as I hold the throttle down (and don’t prime it or choke it).

If I ease off the throttle to a point where I think it’s idling I can hold it there and it sounds good. I’ve tried adjusting the throttle screw as far as it will go but it still needs a bit more to get it to idle on its own. It looks like this carb has adjustment screws with “stops” on them so you can only adjust it so far (EPA regulations I assume). I’ll try messing with the low end to get it idling correctly.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:52 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalArianne View Post
Yes I replaced the fuel filter as it was missing entirely (as was all the lines inside the tank since the disintegrated). It will fire up and stay running as long as I hold the throttle down (and don’t prime it or choke it).

If I ease off the throttle to a point where I think it’s idling I can hold it there and it sounds good. I’ve tried adjusting the throttle screw as far as it will go but it still needs a bit more to get it to idle on its own. It looks like this carb has adjustment screws with “stops” on them so you can only adjust it so far (EPA regulations I assume). I’ll try messing with the low end to get it idling correctly.
You are correct on the EPA BS, but most of those restraints will come off or pry off,---- various carbs are different.
You just have to figure it out.
Now you know it runs well you can try adjusting/playing with the new carb or take it apart and learn what's inside if you never have,--pretty simple actually.
once you get the restraints off you can run it with string in the spool.
at full throttle, richen it till it "blubbers" then lean till it just stops Blubbering
almost.
(some call it 4 stroking)
Stay just a tick rich.
then let it slow to near idle, if it stalls back out the lo screw enriching it a tad
once you get it right then you might be able to back off your throttle screw.
Also it should take a quick throttle opening from idle without stalling or stumbling.
it isn't difficult once you get the knack for adjusting it.
but everyone has to learn the acquired experience, no book larnin' will do it for you.
FWIW: that little screen in carb usually gets plugged quick if one was operating it without the felt filter on the line in the tank.
Oh,
make sure it is on the suction line not the return line.---Duh.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:58 AM

I found both the high and low adjustments were turned all the way by the previous owner (likely trying to get it to run). I turned them both all the way the other direction (until they hit the stops) and now it cranks and runs first pull every single time without pressing the throttle. If I hit the throttle it ramps up good too.

I’ve never seen a trimmer that will crank first pull without choke or priming! I’ve always had the opposite luck where you gotta wear your arm cranking these darn things!

I’ll still try to make fine adjustments to it but for now I’m still on the original carb using premixed 93 octane fuel. Thanks everyone!