Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorner View Post
This is not a hacksaw and grinder job...
Neither is rebuilding a cylinder.
Hey, listen I don't want to beat this to death... but when I was a kid I had a 3 wheeler that got so wore out it wouldn't hardly start. I took the head off and found a burnt valve. I wasn't going to spend the money on new valves, or a valve job... so, I chucked the valves up in a drill press and used a hand file to "true them up". Did it work... oh yeah. Put them back in and it would actually start. Rode it several more years like that. Point is, just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Quote:
Or is that a machine shop replica type deal?
No, a machine shop cannot make that piece. The surface is machine flat and lapped, then case hardened so the bearing can ride on it. It's a buy thing.

Quote:
Edit: looks like part number 1679026SM and it’s about $166 if it’s available.
Check around.
Your choices are new, used or find a different source for the new part. Or put it back together and see how long it lasts. Looks pretty rough from here, but the pic you took isn't great..... I can't see how bad it is very well.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Neither is rebuilding a cylinder.
Hey, listen I don't want to beat this to death... but when I was a kid I had a 3 wheeler that got so wore out it wouldn't hardly start. I took the head off and found a burnt valve. I wasn't going to spend the money on new valves, or a valve job... so, I chucked the valves up in a drill press and used a hand file to "true them up". Did it work... oh yeah. Put them back in and it would actually start. Rode it several more years like that. Point is, just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

No, a machine shop cannot make that piece. The surface is machine flat and lapped, then case hardened so the bearing can ride on it. It's a buy thing.

Check around.
Your choices are new, used or find a different source for the new part. Or put it back together and see how long it lasts. Looks pretty rough from here, but the pic you took isn't great..... I can't see how bad it is very well.
About that cylinder... Let it be...

About the steering unit, the surface is pretty rough and pitted where the backup ring sits. I'm not going to bother putting that back together, it won't last and I'm not wasting a seal kit on it. I have two of these to rebuild. My plan was to rebuild both and sell one. It's not worth it to me to spend a lot of money to repair this one since it is the extra one. The other one is on my tractor currently, I'm hoping when I get inside it that one it's not chewed up like this also, because that's the one I'm using. It's not leaking bad, but a drip here and there, and it drips on my deck and it's annoying because the dirt sticks to the residue. This one I'm working on now was like a hydro fluid geyser in the tractor it came from.
#2 cart
GREEN 314 with integral sleeve hitch, H2 and independent brake upgrade from a 317, and front hydraulic blade, 48" deck
Old 03-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
About that cylinder... Let it be...
I doubt that happens......

Quote:
About the steering unit, the surface is pretty rough and pitted where the backup ring sits. I'm not going to bother putting that back together, it won't last and I'm not wasting a seal kit on it. I have two of these to rebuild. My plan was to rebuild both and sell one. It's not worth it to me to spend a lot of money to repair this one since it is the extra one. The other one is on my tractor currently, I'm hoping when I get inside it that one it's not chewed up like this also, because that's the one I'm using. It's not leaking bad, but a drip here and there, and it drips on my deck and it's annoying because the dirt sticks to the residue. This one I'm working on now was like a hydro fluid geyser in the tractor it came from.
Like I said, it looked pretty rough from the pic. But, there you go. Sounds like it was shot. Keep it around, or sell it as a parts valve. What's the rest look like? How's the valve rotor? Looks like that thing either got water in it from the top, or had crap in the fluid. Whole thing may be shot. Either way, I'd hang on to it until you get the other one rebuilt. Might need one of those Jesus springs.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:05 AM
Grand Member

I agree it might have gotten water in it. I will keep it around for parts for the other one. The rest of it doesn’t look bad, following the manual. I will start a new thread on that project if need be. I was just wondering about that top piece for now.
#2 cart
GREEN 314 with integral sleeve hitch, H2 and independent brake upgrade from a 317, and front hydraulic blade, 48" deck
Old 03-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Grand Member

Here’s a better picture.
CDE3F69B-0ACA-4CA4-8574-792F8C03C61B.jpg

In other news, I got the other one out and cleaned it up and tore it down and it looked perfect inside. So new seals are in and it’s back together. That was pretty easy, I hope it works when I put it back together.

I will say this, the seal in the kit didn’t seem as thick as the old one. I hope that doesn’t matter.
#2 cart
Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Well I tore mine apart, put in new seals, put it back together. Was very careful to keep everything in the exact same alignment as it was. Had trouble getting the plate with the springs back in without them springing out, never to be found again. (I spent the $12 and ordered new springs just in case. Didn't end up needing them, whew) Nothing looked bad inside, all the seals looked good. I'm thinking it was the seal around the shaft that was leaking. The new seal kit had a little different looking seal around the shaft than the old one. It was actually a little smaller OD too, so that concerned me. I used the SK000011 seal kit for a steiner turf machine for $55 that someone here recommended. Had a couple seals left over that were dependent on exact model. So far, everything went back together and isn't leaking, and everything actually worked! Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
Well I tore mine apart, put in new seals, put it back together. Was very careful to keep everything in the exact same alignment as it was. Had trouble getting the plate with the springs back in without them springing out, never to be found again. (I spent the $12 and ordered new springs just in case. Didn't end up needing them, whew) Nothing looked bad inside, all the seals looked good. I'm thinking it was the seal around the shaft that was leaking. The new seal kit had a little different looking seal around the shaft than the old one. It was actually a little smaller OD too, so that concerned me. I used the SK000011 seal kit for a steiner turf machine for $55 that someone here recommended. Had a couple seals left over that were dependent on exact model. So far, everything went back together and isn't leaking, and everything actually worked! Thanks for all the help!
Same thing I found with the Steiner kit. So far no leaks here either.
#2 cart
Old 04-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
You owe Oak and I each $26.00 US

That's about the difference between ($52.00) the cub kit and the one I bought. Yeah yeah the way I see it, if it wasn't for Oak you wouldn't have known about the cheaper option but if it wasn't for me posting this thread at this time Oak wood have not had a reason to post the cheaper option.
1- 1864 in pieces
QA36A Thrower, #1 Tiller w/ extensions, IH windbreaker, IH wheel weights, 44C mower deck, 50C mower deck, CCC 54" Blade, GT46 high vacuum deck, GT54 deck, Cub Tripple Bagger, Custom dozer blade, Custom suitcase weights, 3pt cultivator, lawn sweeper, original R-Bucket
Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Grand Member

The checks in the mail!
#2 cart
Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 AM
Grand Member

I want $26 too. I didn't do anything but that's the world we live in today.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965