Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Model 1000 Quiet Line - Kohler Engine Mounting Bolts

I've had the engine out of my 1000 in order to rebuild the clutch/driveshaft. Finding lots of things that need to be reworked/replaced, but am getting around to thinking about reassembly. I've discovered, however, that I have misplaced the four engine mounting bolts that screw into the oil pan and bolt the engine to the Quiet Line mounting rails! Does anyone know what the specs are for these four bolts?

(This tractor has already been converted to the solid engine mounts from Jeff Derstine. Knowing the bolt specs will save me a lot of trips back and forth to the hardware store.)
Old 06-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Banned

They are 3/8" bolts. You can figure that out with any random bolt, or a tape measure. To find the length you need, stick something in the hole, like a screwdriver, mark the length with your finger and measure it with a tape. Really a very simple thing to figure out..... Should be about 1" to 1 1/4" length. Longest bolt you can get threaded in. If you have an aluminum pan, make sure the mounting flange is flat, or you are wasting your time. Either get it welded up and re-machined, or find another pan.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
They are 3/8" bolts. You can figure that out with any random bolt, or a tape measure. To find the length you need, stick something in the hole, like a screwdriver, mark the length with your finger and measure it with a tape. Really a very simple thing to figure out..... Should be about 1" to 1 1/4" length. Longest bolt you can get threaded in. If you have an aluminum pan, make sure the mounting flange is flat, or you are wasting your time. Either get it welded up and re-machined, or find another pan.
Just to add. They should be 3/8 NC bolts. LOL. don't get to the hardware store and come home with NF thread ..
Old 06-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Grand Member

I'd go with grade 5 bolts
The spec's are in the parts look up.
I suggest you get aquainted with it.
You will be using it a lot for research and parts interchange.
Valuable tool
Old 06-06-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpelle View Post
I've had the engine out of my 1000 in order to rebuild the clutch/driveshaft. Finding lots of things that need to be reworked/replaced, but am getting around to thinking about reassembly. I've discovered, however, that I have misplaced the four engine mounting bolts that screw into the oil pan and bolt the engine to the Quiet Line mounting rails! Does anyone know what the specs are for these four bolts?

(This tractor has already been converted to the solid engine mounts from Jeff Derstine. Knowing the bolt specs will save me a lot of trips back and forth to the hardware store.)
3/8-16x1". Grade 5.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:22 PM

Thanks, guys.

Looks like 3/8-16 x 1 will work. Right after I posted I had to run to Lowes anyway, so I picked up some Grade 5 bolts there - of course they're made in China for Hillman Fasteners, so they could be Grade 5 on the Velveeta Scale.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Banned

If you want American made bolts, you'll pay for them. Most all that is available in a store is going to be made in China. I've used Hillman bolts. They're as good as any other.

As a note, it's a lot cheaper to buy fasteners by the pound. Most all "farm" stores like TSC sell by the pound.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
If you want American made bolts, you'll pay for them. Most all that is available in a store is going to be made in China. I've used Hillman bolts. They're as good as any other.

As a note, it's a lot cheaper to buy fasteners by the pound. Most all "farm" stores like TSC sell by the pound.
Not sure who makes bolts for Fastenal? Or if they manufacturer their own? They seem to have pretty good products. I am lucky enough to have a Fastenal store 2 blocks away from my shop. They are not cheap but they always seem to have even the oddest size metric and standard fasteners.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperino View Post
Not sure who makes bolts for Fastenal? Or if they manufacturer their own? They seem to have pretty good products. I am lucky enough to have a Fastenal store 2 blocks away from my shop. They are not cheap but they always seem to have even the oddest size metric and standard fasteners.
I don't know either, but they are way too expensive for me. I've needed odd fasteners before and called them. Wouldn't sell me what I needed, only a box or package..... usually like 50 in a box and I only needed 5 or something. Plus, they just overall wanted too much. I could order a box or package from McMaster Carr, have it the next day, pay the shipping and spend less. Even standard ol' everyday nuts and bolts cost more at Fastenall. They are my "last resort" when looking for a fastener. I'm lucky to have good "farm" and hardware stores near me. They might want 50 cents per bolt, but if you only need 4 or 5 it isn't bad. Better than a box of 50 for $25 or whatever.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Grand Member

My Fastenal will sell whatever amount I ask for.
Just the other day, I picked up half dozen 3/4" fine thread jam nuts for deck spindles, no problem here.
Most of their stuff in the bins is bagged 10, 25 etc. to a bag depending on size of the item.