Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 06:37 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post
John thanks. here's what this says
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Swisher-4...44BS/204799539

Rough Cut Trail Commercial Tow Behind Mower

The Swisher 44 in. 11.5 HP Trailcutter is perfect for any big mowing job. Backed by the power of 60 plus years of design experience, this mower is designed to dramatically reduce mowing time. The Swisher Trailcutter easily attaches to your ATV or lawn tractor and is the ultimate time saver for large jobs. This model will cut brush up to 3 in. in diameter. It features Two 16 in. pneumatic sealant filled tires, two heavy duty swinging blades and a convenient single-point cutting height adjustment with 4 in. range. The remote operator control console lets you safely engage and disengage from a distance. Heavy duty work requires Swisher’s heavy duty Trailcutter, 50 state compliant.
11.5 HP (344cc) Briggs & Stratton recoil start engine
44 in. welded, 11-Gauge steel tow- behind cutting deck with rear discharge
Remote operator control console
Single-point cutting height adjustment 4 in. range
Universal articulating pin hitch, adjusts left to right
Heavy duty stump jumper and two break away swinging blades cut most stems up to 3 in. in diameter
Two 16 in. pneumatic tires
Steel bumpers

so... swisher vs. a CC on an uneven and neglected / overgrown field that's mowed once-twice a year only ? I'd hate to damage my CC by using it in an environment it wasnt meant for or is too much for an older tractor to handle <- is this thinking correct or am i not giving CC the trust it deserves.. just thinking about "knowing what the right tool for the job is"
Well, they certainly bill it correct--swinging blades, stump jumper but I ain't going to be near one cutting a 3" dia tree down. Been around enough bushhogs to know that ain't nothing to play with.

Buddy came by the shop today and we got on the conversation of 4 wheelers. He mentioned a nearby dairy had one years ago that a milk cow would out run if it were in low. Guess the ones I've always been around were more for point A to point B transport. Still think I'd rather have a big lawn mower for towing a trailer mower, but I'd rather have a big lawnmower than zero-turn---guess I'm just weird like that.

Hey, let me toss out another idea. for your field, if you oly want to mow it a couple times a year, hire it done until you can save the cash to buy something you really want and let the deal come to you instead of rushing out buying whats for sale TODAY, if you understand what I am saying. CL here has plenty of folks advertising bush-hog work.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 08-26-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
I have two 60" Swishers, destroyed the tow hitch on both of them. replaced the hitch's with U-Haul tow bar hitch's other than that that work very well.

As far as buying an XT-1 goes I suggest that if you do decide to do that I'd buy it from a Cub dealer or you will be screwed when you need service

The older stuff is better as long as you understand that you will need to do some repairs and as long as you have the ability to do them.

I like that pull-behind setup you have! awesome!

thanks for sharing
Old 08-26-2017, 10:57 PM

John, that's a good idea i'll look into it.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:23 PM

Another idea: I don't need a tractor with a mowing deck .. any tractor would do if it can be strong and pull a Swisher through an overgrown field.. I'd like it to have a rear PTO if possible and be able to have a front or rear attachment that will push dirt (i am filling in a little swamp with dirt) .

on CL i found this
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...280610357.html

I know nothing about Kubota but I think it's a good brand, just dont know anything about their series and models etc.

Ariens is another brand I've heard of.. this one is over the budget but just posting it as an example of a tractor that is now a mower and has a rear PTO https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...272179248.html

A couple interesting Ford options!
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...274515324.html
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...263206474.html

Is CC a more expensive brand than these?
Old 08-26-2017, 11:36 PM

another Question
what do you know about the Lowboy 185?
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...277223679.html
Old 08-27-2017, 07:57 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post
Another idea: I don't need a tractor with a mowing deck .. any tractor would do if it can be strong and pull a Swisher through an overgrown field.. I'd like it to have a rear PTO if possible and be able to have a front or rear attachment that will push dirt (i am filling in a little swamp with dirt) .

on CL i found this
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...280610357.html

I know nothing about Kubota but I think it's a good brand, just dont know anything about their series and models etc.

Ariens is another brand I've heard of.. this one is over the budget but just posting it as an example of a tractor that is now a mower and has a rear PTO https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...272179248.html

A couple interesting Ford options!
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...274515324.html
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...263206474.html

Is CC a more expensive brand than these?
Be careful of that Kubota. I SWEAR the same tractor was for sale here on Friday, picture looked identical other than from a different angle. Reason it caught my eyes is it is a cultivating model--we are knee deep tobacco country so all the "cultivating" models here are IH machines--that orange stuck out like a sore thumb.

Not familiar with the Ariens, but its just an overgrown lawnmower from the pictures--just like Cadets Super Garden Tractors and Deeres 400 series. I'm sure its a beast, as all of that "class" is, but its not a farm tractor.

Those Fords are farm tractors. They will take all sorts of abuse and never complain. You can buy parts all over the place for most of them. The value of them holds pretty well and they should be a reasonable sell if you get tired of it. Popular ain't the word for them, they are everywhere (at least here). Having said all that, I'm not a huge fan as I grew up on IH and Deere machines from the 70's and 80's----I prefer power steering, live PTO and live hydraulics. I'm sure some of the guys here can tell you which of those features the Fords may lack. Not disrespecting the Fords, just not my preference. Bottom line, they are more than capable of mowing fields and grading driveways and will do so for the least amount of money and with the best reliability---providing you get one in good shape--remember they are 50-70 years old.

A 185 should mow any field that isn't riddled with obstacles. That Woods deck under it is for mowing LAWNS, not grinding up rocks and trees. It is heavier built than the ones under lawnmowers, but it is not a bush hog. The deck may have more ground clearance than the average Super Garden Tractor--somethin you will appreciate in mowing rough areas. Looks like that one has 3pt hitch, would be nice for touching up gravel driveways. No clue about how it works with the snowblower. Price, well they seem to be all over the place on that. Check your local area and see what LoBoys are selling for. FYI a 185 is one of the last ones built--think IH built that series for close to 20 years?
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 08-27-2017, 10:16 AM

why did they discontinue the 185? what replaced it, was it the series with the smaller rear wheels? i like the large wheels (looks-wise) but maybe the smaller wheeled ones are more nimble, weigh less and its cheaper to replace the tires?
Old 08-27-2017, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

There were 3 lowboy Cub models. The 154 was made from 1968 to 1974. The 185 was made from 1974 to 1976 and the Red 184 was made from 1977 to 1980. I think of the 3 the 184 had the better driveline but I never owned one so maybe someone can chime in.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
I think of the 3 the 184 had the better driveline but I never owned one so maybe someone can chime in.
It appears better. It was different, that's for sure. I haven't owned a 184, but I've worked on them. I do own a 185.

To the OP:
While this thread is entertaining..... I think you need to do some research, financial reflection, and maybe even ask yourself some important questions like:

*What can I realistically afford?
*Do I really need to buy something to take care of this part of the property, or is it easier to just hire someone to do it 2 or 3 times a year.
Example: If you only need a pickup truck 2 or 3 times a year, would you go buy one?
*If you can justify a larger machine, what size of machine suits your needs?
*What options/attachments are going to best suit your needs?

These are all questions we can't help you with. You seem to be rambling on and on and posting up all these different tractors and asking about each of them. Ultimately, you need to decide what best suits your needs, and we can't help you with that. I think for the purpose of your original question, I think we have more than covered it.
Closed Thread