Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 12-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Grand Member

Default Need advice for a Johnson Loader on a 982

I have a lead on a Johnson loader that was made for a Wheel Horse, but it is currently mounted on a Case with a 16hp engine. I do not know what models anything is, just a guy told me he had one that he would like to get rid of and the price is right, as in Uncle Lewy range right. So, since I know nothing about a loader, but have wanted one for quite some time, I was hoping for some advice on putting it on my 982, since it already had dual ports out of the front. So, is the Johnson loader somewhat a universal fit for tractors or will I need to make mods to fit my 982? Would it be better to put it on a GT or a SGT? He said it has a cylinder leaking, not bad, and is fully operational. How much weight would I likely need in back to offset loads of around 300 lbs in the bucket? I know that axles can snap when buckets are loaded up, so my plans are for snow and some small dirt jobs for it.

Any and all advice is appreciated. I do not think I will find an opportunity like this again for a loader, so I am excited about the deal but I want to make sure that I can use it. He said that he put sleeves or something U-bolted to his rear axles that allowed him to slip it in and out so that he can attach/detach it in about 15 minutes to his tractor.

BTW> I know pics would be very helpful. He is supposed to send those soon, so I was not able to post any as of yet.

Thanks fellas.....

Cub Cadet 123
Old 12-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Grand Member

Congratulations!

This is probably gonna be one of those deals where you gotta go look at it and most likely take some measurements. Might be just as easy to haul your 982 to the loader and kinda eye things up.

That said, (I don't know your plans) but I doubt that your 982 has enough oil capacity to run the loader from your remote ports.

FWIW, you don't really need a lot of power to run a loader, but weight (near the ground) and a longer tractor are your friends.

If you can get a model number, there may be someone here who can help you out a lot more with adaptability.

Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2016, 08:37 AM
Grand Member

Then there's the wow factor,
Yep Honey, I got a BIG JOHNSON front loader
(Sorry couldn't resist)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:43 AM

If its a LEW deal price, you should just get the loader even if it doesn't fit your cub. It could always be traded for one that does, or just buy another cub to fit the loader!

I bought a loader on a wheel horse last year just to get the loader. I did end up liking the wheel horse and will keep it, but still going to move it to a 149.

Randy
1 73
1 2182
Old 12-09-2016, 11:20 AM

Wow, if you can get a loader for a "LEW PRICE" grab it! Johnson loader's lend them selves to easy modifications from one brand to another (mine is from a Ford GT16). The most difficult part is mounting the pump. As for weight, I had 75lbs wheel weights with loaded tires and my stone rake on the back. It worked well for snow and medium bucket loads but for heavy loads, I had to go to a weight box with at least 200lbs in it so I could get enough traction to move the load.

SNO LOADER 4.jpg

CUB WOOD.jpg

The leaky cylinder is not to bad of a fix if you only need seals, I'm in the process of replacing the seals in my lift cylinders now. Good luck, I hope you get'er.

One thing I forgot to mention, if you use the push arms to the rear axle, you may have to use up to 3 inch spacers to move your rear wheels out to clear the push arms.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Grand Member

Thanks a lot guys for the advice and thanks Jumper for your pics and advice on added weight. At 2 Franks, I don't think I will get hurt on the deal. The man is the original owner of the loader and he is the same man I got a sweepster broom from a couple of years ago. Any additional comments are both welcomed and appreciated on this.......looks like where I place the reservoir at, what drives the pump on the loader and anything else I am forgetting.

Cub Cadet 123
Old 12-09-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Cadet 123 View Post
Thanks a lot guys for the advice and thanks Jumper for your pics and advice on added weight. At 2 Franks, I don't think I will get hurt on the deal. The man is the original owner of the loader and he is the same man I got a sweepster broom from a couple of years ago. Any additional comments are both welcomed and appreciated on this.......looks like where I place the reservoir at, what drives the pump on the loader and anything else I am forgetting.

Cub Cadet 123

On my Johnson 10, the tank is the left post. The controls are also on that post.

Randy
1 73
1 2182
Old 12-09-2016, 06:41 PM

Cub 123, There should be a pump that comes with it. If your putting it on your 982, you may have to change the pump pulley from 3/8 to 1/2 inch belt width if you run it off the front pto.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Hope you get your Johnson fixed, nothing worse than a leaky Johnson.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 12-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
Hope you get your Johnson fixed, nothing worse than a leaky Johnson.
That is some fast thinking!!!

Cub Cadet 123