Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Banned

The tube isn't for "charged" air to feed the carb. I'd be surprised if the flywheel fan makes even 1psi pressure.

It's not there to feed cool air, although it does feed cooler air to the intake.

It is there to feed cleaner air to the intake. The flywheel has a screen on it, and it spins really fast. Large amounts of grass and dirt can't make it past the rotary screen. Dirt is centrifugally forged out, and large grass blades are flung off the screen, so the air is cleaner.

Tim, the Kohler AQS, Mag singles and CH engines use a flywheel to filter housing feed. It was optional on the KT's and Mags, Cub Cadet just didn't use it. My guess is the thought the engine bay with enclosed sides, and sealed blower housing was a clean enough area.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
The tube isn't for "charged" air to feed the carb. I'd be surprised if the flywheel fan makes even 1psi pressure.

It's not there to feed cool air, although it does feed cooler air to the intake.

It is there to feed cleaner air to the intake. The flywheel has a screen on it, and it spins really fast. Large amounts of grass and dirt can't make it past the rotary screen. Dirt is centrifugally forged out, and large grass blades are flung off the screen, so the air is cleaner.

Tim, the Kohler AQS, Mag singles and CH engines use a flywheel to filter housing feed. It was optional on the KT's and Mags, Cub Cadet just didn't use it. My guess is the thought the engine bay with enclosed sides, and sealed blower housing was a clean enough area.
I know the aqs and mag singles had them, I was taking directly about the KT and two cylinder magnum's. My point was that it probably wasn't a necessity and wouldn't affect how the engine runs.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 05-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Grand Member

And in this case I’m a moron, I found the tube in my garage. I guess it popped out when I took it apart and rolled or bounced away under another piece of equipment in my garage. So this problem is solved for me. Waiting on gaskets and seals now to show up in my mailbox.
#2 cart
GREEN 314 with integral sleeve hitch, H2 and independent brake upgrade from a 317, and front hydraulic blade, 48" deck
Old 05-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Grand Member

I FINALLY received the seals yesterday for this thing, and I could not get the timing cover side seal out so I had to pull the cover and bang it out from the inside. Now I'm waiting for a new timing cover gasket ... Those bolts weren't very tight by the way. It looked like it was a little "drippy" around the oil filter assembly at the gasket, the bolts were just a little better than finger tight. I torqued them but I'll probably end up replacing that gasket as well. Maybe the gaskets shrunk and that's where all the oil was coming from? I do not think it was the seals, but it has new ones and a nice clean crank case vent now.

Here are some pictures of the cleaner engine before I started working on the seals... and my driveway looks like an oil slick now from three times engine degreasing and pressure spraying to clean this thing up. It still is not spotless, it has some baked on oil. But it's getting there...

20180519_234820767_iOS.jpg

20180519_234830834_iOS.jpg
#2 cart
GREEN 314 with integral sleeve hitch, H2 and independent brake upgrade from a 317, and front hydraulic blade, 48" deck
Old 05-22-2018, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

You’re getting it Steve. Whatch how that governor goes on and don’t loose that little ball bearing that the shaft rides on.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 PM
Grand Member

While I was working on it I noticed turning the crank seemed pretty easy even on the compression stroke. I have it together enough to turn it over now, so I did a quick compression test on it by spinning it with the starter. I get 55 in one side and 60 in the other. That should be higher right? There is no compression release in these is there? I guess I should have done that first and saved myself some trouble...

So, either leaking head gaskets, valves not seating, or tired engine... or I am not doing it right. Judging by the pumping of oil onto the ground it was doing before I got it out the crankcase vent, and low compression on both sides, it might be blow by and tired engine?
#2 cart
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 PM
Grand Member

I'm back at this again, I have two engines apart now so I'm moving back and forth between them. I decided to pull the heads and have a look in the cylinder bores. It looks like I have leaky head gaskets. There's a lot of black on them in a couple places, and the head bolts were not very tight. The bores look good, and I can still see crosshatch. I measured them and got 3.245" with my bore guage, give or take a few thousandths. The valves look good also. So maybe my worst fear about this engine is not going to come true, and the low compression just might be as simple as replacing the head gaskets.
#2 cart
Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Grand Member

I cleaned up the head and mating surfaces and installed a new head gasket, torqued the head bolts down and rechecked the compression on this one side. Still around 55 psi.

So, I turned the engine to TDC on compression stroke, and blocked the flywheel from turning and ran 60 psi compressed air into the cylinder, and I can hear air blowing through and I can feel it coming out the crankcase vent, no air out the carb or muffler. So.... It's over for the Onan, I give up...
#2 cart
Old 05-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Banned

Or maybe is just has a stuck or broken piston ring. Doesn't mean it's junk. You give up too easy.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Or maybe is just has a stuck or broken piston ring. Doesn't mean it's junk. You give up too easy.
Both sides? Same issue?
#2 cart