Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 02-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Grand Member

Default Anyone knowledgable about Fastenal?

I have been searching the web for some oddball nutsy/boltsy and other hardware type stuff that I'd like to have. But I don't want hundreds of these things either. I found things I'd like on the Fastenal web site at good prices.

The web site can also tell you if your local Fastenal stores have your item(s) in stock. I have two local stores, neither of which stock what I am looking for.

My questions are:

1. If I open an account online and then place an order, do they ship it to my local store and then I pick it up or do they ship it to my address?

2. If I place the order online and they ship it to the store, do I pay the price indicated online or is there some kind of surcharge for the store?

3. Is there any kind of minimum order size or can I just order, say, one box of 25 bolts at the online price.

4. Anything else that I need to know.

Thanks in advance to anyone with input.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Banned

I'd just order from McMaster Carr. They will ship right to your door. You don't say what it is your looking for, but when it comes to bolts you usually have to order at least 10. Sometimes more depending on how large the bolt is. Fastenall is pretty pricey compared to McMaster on most everything.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:02 PM

Fastenal are great people for products and shipping garden tractors, would be a great time to become friends with them.

McMaster-Carr I have a 1930's catalog of theirs that is really cool.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
I'd just order from McMaster Carr. They will ship right to your door. You don't say what it is your looking for, but when it comes to bolts you usually have to order at least 10. Sometimes more depending on how large the bolt is. Fastenall is pretty pricey compared to McMaster on most everything.
Yes, I've ordered from M/C before and I feel like I kinda got burned on shipping. I think I ordered a couple small bearings and a couple feet of brake pad material. They had to ship from two different locations, so I got two shipments, and they charged me separate shipping on each. It all could have fit in one envelope instead of two shoe boxes at 8 bucks shipping each. That's what led to my question about Fastenal shipping to the store. I have two stores less than 10 miles away so I don't mind picking anything up if that's how they do it.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Grand Member

McMaster-Carr is very good at getting what you need to your door quickly! For me, I've always had my stuff next day via UPS ground. Oh....These guys are GOOD!
#2 Cart
QA36 snowthower
Old 02-27-2015, 05:13 PM

I believe the way Fastenal still does it, if you want it faster than on there normal order you pay shipping. But if you want it and will wait for it to go thru store order process than there is no shipping charges. Online order has no tax if you have it sent to house or business, pay tax on it if it comes to the story. so sort of got to check balance there.

Me I always look it up online, go to store and order it and have then ship on there order. for two reasons, 1. gets and working 1 on 1 relation than when I ship and receive tractor thru them it is a lot easier because you are a cutomer with them. 2. if it aint right I can return it for the correct one a lot easier, no return shipping and so one. best thing I can say, stop by introduce your self and get a feel for your store. The people at my Fastenal store are great, they have come in after hours to load up tractor parts on my truck for me because I work late.

you pay for service, or you pay for convenience. I prefer to pay for service, because in the long run you will need their help and they will be there for you
Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Grand Member

I'll ditto that HDS, my store is in Dubuque and I ordered a bunch of stuff last year from them, weird things like #12 machine screws for the tunnel covers on WF's & such. and the fine thread $10 screws for the muffler boxes. Some they had in stock, others not so when the stragglers came in to the store they called me to pick the whole order up.

Just order what you want, any quantity, and they will get it for Ya!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Banned

hdsdcouple, I don't think the question was how good it is to deal with Fastenall, it's more how do they ship, and how many will he have to buy to get 2 of something. Yeah, customer service bla, bla..... I get that. But I agree with the OP, that if I only need 2 or 3 bolts, I don't want to buy (and pay for) a box of 50. I really don't think you answered his question.

Ironman, I do not know how they ship. Where you pick it up, but you could probably call them at your local store and they could tell you. Second, I understand the deal about paying 2 shipping charges on one item. But, when your buying something that has to be shipped, that's just what you get to deal with. Personally, it's worth $8 (yes I know you had to pay $16) to me not to have to drive a 20 mile round trip. You'd spend that in gas anyway.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Grand Member

I don't think there is a minimum quantity. for instance, some items I got were only like 6 bolts of a certain size to bolt a bumper on an old car.

Call 'em!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Grand Member

HDSD, very good advice, thank you. I do intend to stop by there, just wanted to get a heads up on other's opinions. And like finsru, I just want to get a few oddball things to have on hand that you can't find at the hardware store. Thanks guys.