Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Home Made

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 10:33 PM

Default Steering modificatons

I thought this would be the right group to put this to.
There is a a guy who posted the other day who wanted to add power steering to his tractor. He only has one arm and it would make it more efficient for him if he could steer easier. I suggested that he find a way to use an actuator and control the steering with a simple joystick type device. Considering that this forum has proven itself to be the inventer of "home made" I thought I would bring it up here. I can't imagine it being too difficult to do and I wonder if anyone has tossed around the idea of eleminating the steering wheel for a one handed control such as this? If anyone has any ideas, go to the lawn tractor forum and look for the power steering post. I know that one of you (at least) can come up with a solution for this......
Old 08-31-2014, 07:29 AM
Administrator

This is the thread Willy is talking about.
http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34009
BX2670 with FEL
Old 01-17-2015, 12:17 PM

I have a setup off of a convertible that uses two hydraulic cylinders and a dc pump about the size of a two liter bottle. I was planning on using the m along with two toggle switches to control the pump. Basically the pump would run normal and push a cylinder in and one cylinder will push out. Then reversing the pump would do the opposite for each cylinder . I wanna use this setup on an articulated build I have planned but maybe it could work for him too.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockm View Post
I have a setup off of a convertable that uses twtwo hydraulic cylinders and a dc pump about the size of a two litre bottle. I was planning on using the m along with two toggle switches to controll the pump. Basically the pump would run normal and push a cylinder in and one cylinder will push out. Then reversing the pump would do the opposite for each cylinder . I wanna use this setup on an articulated build I have planned but maybe it could work for him too.
I think the cylinders have to be double acting for the top to work. You can mount both cylinders on the same pivots and save some work. And that way if they poop out you can replace them with a single larger cylinder.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3v03v0 View Post
I think the cylinders have to be double acting for the top to work. You can mount both cylinders on the same pivots and save some work. And that way if they poop out you can replace them with a single larger cylinder.
What????

He's talking about an articulated build..... articulated's usually use two steering cylinders.... I think he probably knows that a cylinder has to be dual acting to push and pull.....
Old 01-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
What????

He's talking about an articulated build..... articulated's usually use two steering cylinders.... I think he probably knows that a cylinder has to be dual acting to push and pull.....
The thead is about steering modification for the member with one arm.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3v03v0 View Post
The thead is about steering modification for the member with one arm.
I know, but I have no idea what you are talking about in post #4.

I'm not sure you understand what Brockm is talking about. His post made sense to me, but yours didn't.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I know, but I have no idea what you are talking about in post #4.

I'm not sure you understand what Brockm is talking about. His post made sense to me, but yours didn't.
It makes sense in the context of the thread.

Brockm explained how he was going to do the articulted setup. Then he said
Quote:
I wanna use this setup on an articulated build I have planned but maybe it could work for him too.
My post was not a reply to Brockm. It was about using the convertable top setup for the steering modification, the thread topic.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Banned

Yeah, I read what you posted..... Now twice. It still makes no sense.

Nevermind.

On a second note, I don't see why someone with one arm can't use a steering wheel. There is no reason for a joystick on power steering. Very simple to just put power steering on any Cub using a steering wheel.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Yeah, I read what you posted..... Now twice. It still makes no sense.

Nevermind.

On a second note, I don't see why someone with one arm can't use a steering wheel. There is no reason for a joystick on power steering. Very simple to just put power steering on any Cub using a steering wheel.
And a neckers knob