Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 10-09-2017, 01:04 AM
Grand Member

Default "Tire kicking for the old girl"

Thinking about replacing the old girls grass cutter. She's using a Husqvarna lawn tractor with a twin 18 hp Kawasaki, and 48" deck. That deck never was on my like list, you have to clean the damn thing out after every cut.
I can cut the same parts with mine, and I'm lucky to get much more than a coffee can of debri after the whole season.
OFF TOPIC, MY BAD. Anyway.
With my shoulders being the way they are, getting worst and a few other things, we won't get into, she's (Nancy) is going to be doing the majority of the grass cutting for awhile. Maybe a long while.
She DOES NOT want to use one of my tractors. It was a , "no way, if I'm cutting, we get something else, or I'll keep what I got".
So brings me to my question. I want to get her a Z-TURN mower, and it will be Cub Cadet, and I will be buying it from my dealer (buddy), no other choices.
I understand they will cut circles around a tractor, and we only want a 48" deck for getting around the trees, and ROCKS in the yard.
Now from my limited amount of research, I gather the RTZ is rather cheaply made. So looked at others. Pretty much have my mind made up, but would like some opinions from those that use a Cub Cadet Z-TURN, on their ranch, and your experience with them, good, bad, otherwise.
These are the two I'm "thinking" on. And before anyone goes off half cocked, about looking at new, this one is for Nancy, to cut down on her time mowing.

Side by side comparison. Both have fabricated decks...
http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/Co...ductId=1963374I'm leaning towards the Z-FORCE® SX 48 KW

The PRO Z 148S EFI, but don't know enough about the EFI. Price difference is only $1,300. The Z-Force is the cheapest of the two.
Let me know what you think of either.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post

The PRO Z 148S EFI, but don't know enough about the EFI. Price difference is only $1,300. The Z-Force is the cheapest of the two.
Let me know what you think of either.
Apparently that's all we can say (What we think)

I like them Todd! On paper their spec look impressive, one got up to 350Lbs of torque per wheel, the other up to 500lbs per wheel, those are powerful commercial hydro gear tranny used on most expensive Z, ask your buddy if he can let your spouse try them for a spin and see if she like them. Be careful, one have twice the power of her little Husqvarna, she may pop few wheelies on that one.
1976 1650/QA42A blower/44A deck/standby
1976 1450TS/Sleeve hitch/44A deck/in storage
1963 100 (red)/in storage
2010 Kubota 2380-2/42" infinity deck (engine swap)
Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Thread moved at Todd's request
BX2670 with FEL
Old 10-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Grand Member

Todd, I have no experience with any of the Cadet ZTR machines. I looked/drooled at a pristine TANK this past winter, but that was it. Here are my thoughts, you KNOW quality when you see it. Look them over good and see if you see any red flags concerning how things are built. Both the engines are respected brands, now we all know everyone makes a lemon once in a while, hopefully neither of those is problematic. Just by the price, neither is a "box store" machine.

Any way your buddy can let her drive them (mowing would be really nice if he would permit)? Just how hilly is your property? Around here you see guys running ag tires. My cousin had a Deere in the $8K range and got in a jam mowing near the creek in his yard this year--needed a tow to get out. Since we are not on flat land, I would lean toward the one with the ROPS. Possibly he has sold some of these to commercial cutters that you could contact for an evaluation. Do you know any of his mechanics that might give you an honest opinion?
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 10-10-2017, 12:12 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkull View Post
Apparently that's all we can say (What we think)

I like them Todd! On paper their spec look impressive, one got up to 350Lbs of torque per wheel, the other up to 500lbs per wheel, those are powerful commercial hydro gear tranny used on most expensive Z, ask your buddy if he can let your spouse try them for a spin and see if she like them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
Todd, I have no experience with any of the Cadet ZTR machines. I looked/drooled at a pristine TANK this past winter, but that was it. Here are my thoughts, you KNOW quality when you see it. Look them over good and see if you see any red flags concerning how things are built. Both the engines are respected brands, now we all know everyone makes a lemon once in a while, hopefully neither of those is problematic. Just by the price, neither is a "box store" machine.

Any way your buddy can let her drive them (mowing would be really nice if he would permit)? Just how hilly is your property? Around here you see guys running ag tires. My cousin had a Deere in the $8K range and got in a jam mowing near the creek in his yard this year--needed a tow to get out. Since we are not on flat land, I would lean toward the one with the ROPS. Possibly he has sold some of these to commercial cutters that you could contact for an evaluation. Do you know any of his mechanics that might give you an honest opinion?
Well I called the dealer today, and he has nothing left in stock, but can get whatever I "need". If he had one on the floor, he'd let her run it around the lot, but not to actually mow with it.
He did say if it were him, he'd go with the Z-Force, over the Pro for what we need it for.
Either would do fine around our place, but near the highway ditch she would have to do a little more trimming with the push mower.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 AM
Grand Member

Todd,

I bought a new 54 inch Z-Force S in 2011. Had a 24 or 25 hp verical shaft.

1. It was way faster than my lawn. Shook me awful. I blamed the solid front end. No pivoting axle. There were times when one front wheel would leave terra firma in certain situations.

2. 54 inch fabricated deck. Cut nice. Did not discharge worth a damn. My lawn has alot of clover and broad leaf weeds. Cut once-nice. Second time you hear it struggling with grass not clearing from deck in the thicker sections lawn grass. By the third time it was clumping awful. Had to scrape it out every other mowing and would get an entire 5 gallon bucket of grass scrapings. Pi$$ed me off to no end. Local dealer said newer decks are better. Your mileage may vary.

At least get one with a thicker suspension seat. A standard garden tractor tip up seat was what mine had and with the "solid" front end it SUCKED!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151012_152031.jpg (35.5 KB, 253 views)

70, #1 cart. Brinly Cultivator. Some wheel weights.

{125, 126, 2072-Sold~regrettably, 2284 60 inch Haban 325 deck., 451 snowblower, 2182-60 inch Haban 374 deck- "Money Pit", 401 Haban 54 inch dozer blade- rebuilt, 1440-down the road, Another 2182 for parts. Another 2284 for parts. 450 blower. 1812-sold, 2072 w/ Haban 374, and a 2182#3 w/ Haban 325}-------> All SOLD
Old 10-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Todd if your going ZTR, SCAG or Kubota
BX2670 with FEL
Old 10-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator

+1 on what Mr. Mac said.

Looks like I need to
Old 10-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Grand Member

I was going to suggest another brand but he said “no other choices” so I didn’t.

But......now that the door opened, yes, buying a ZTR with a steering wheel is just odd to me. Operate and get used to one with levers or even new ones with the single joystick and you’ll scratch your head about the steering wheel. We mow grass all year long down here and brands like Dixie chopper, hustler, x Mark, Scag, Wright, etc are the absolute way to go. True commercial machines and even buying a used but not used up one is a good idea.

My family biz in NY switched to a kubota ztr diesel after years and years of mowing with cubs and with a 72 inch deck it was a no brainer, these commercial ones can cut mowing time literally in half. I have 3600 hours on my JD ZTR and cut my grass at 5 inches, love it.
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub
Old 10-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Grand Member

Good to read your "review" Steve. That plugging issue sounds like every high vacuum deck that ever cuts the lawn here. That's why I wrote in my first post my old tractors with the old style decks never have that issue...
And never gave the solid front a thought, as for the ride. Thanks for the input.
Nancy's the one that wants a steering wheel rather than sticks, and she's the one that's going to be using it.
And for me wanting a Cub over others, is there are no dealers of other brands around here. The city would be closest, and I hate the city, (Green Bay) especially if I'm needing something for the mower.
To me, it means a lot to have a rapport with the dealer I'm/we're buying something new. When/if there is an issue with the equipment during warranty, or something, I know this guy/dealer will go through everything to take care of us.
As the thread title reads, "tire kicking" at this point. But if others have other brand recommendation, I'll listen and consider...