Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM

Default Tiller questions

Would a 1A Tiller fit a 1650? I'm new to this. How does it mount to the mower? The gear box attaches to the read axle? What lifts and lowers it?
Old 10-18-2017, 08:39 AM
Grand Member

In a nutshell:
The tiller does not attach to the mower, you have to remove the mower, and attach the tiller to the rear of the tractor, along with the *90 gear box.
A long belt, drives the *90 gear box from the PTO pulley in front where the mower drive belt would attach.
The lifting of the tiller is done with the rear implement lift, hopefully you already have it on your tractor.
It is powered by the same hydraulic lift cylinder that lifts your mower deck when it is attached.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Grand Member

Perfect for a 1650. Would be an ideal setup, I know, cuz I have one.
Look in the manuals section for the manual and down load it, pretty much self explanatory.
Make sure you get the front mule drive and the rear belt GUARD! The tiller has nothing to do with the mower.
Just takes a much longer (read ex$pen$ive) belt though!
Looks like a decent price IF...it is ALL THERE!!
I have seen them much cheaper though. Odd time of year to be selling a tiller IMHO!
Looks like George just beat me to it!!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:28 AM

Tell me about mule drive, what it is and how it works? And the belt guard.... is that something you buy separate? And I was trying to do research but ya'll seem to have all the knowledge. When you buy a tiller and gear box, when mounting you pull cover off rear axle and mount gear box and buy longer bolts to make up for the added gear box? Know how much longer bolts to get?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Grand Member

Rear cover stays on, bolts need to be just long enough to cover the extra thickness of the mount plate. What ever you do, DO NOT use bolts that are TOO LONG!!! Measure the depth of the holes to be sure . Bolts that are too long, will break then thread pad off the inside of the gear case.
The mule drive will look almost like the front part of your mower mule drive. The pulleys will not be angled is all.

You can find a parts list here
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/s...4101&langId=-1
Old 10-18-2017, 11:37 PM
Grand Member

You'll have to remove your hitch first. If you've never replaced the rear fluid, and changed the filter, now would be a good time.

Cause once you get the gear box on, then it's just more of a hassle to change it then.

Plus, at times when you take those bolts out, it sometimes is enough to start a leak in the cover. Myself, I would change fluid and filter now, RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant the cover back on, measure for new/correct bolts, and install gear box, DONE.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiew88 View Post
Would a 1A Tiller fit a 1650? I'm new to this. How does it mount to the mower? The gear box attaches to the read axle? What lifts and lowers it?

Welcome to OCC!!!!

You have come to the right place. I would go to the technical libraries and download all the manuals for your tractor and tiller and do some reading. I just googled "how to mount a tiller to a cub cadet" and it came up with some good videos and links to threads that would be helpful.

If you haven't bought one yet, reading the manuals will help you to know you are buying one that is complete. The biggest cost in the hobby is coming up with the things that didn't come with what you buy. Its sometimes cheaper to buy whole tractors or implements just to get a couple of parts.

Randy
1 73
1 2182
Old 10-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Grand Member

I'd opt for a new gasket for the cover. Buy one or make one from some gasket mat'l, piece of cake and cheaper as well.

You do not want globs or threads of RTV floating around inside your hydro and plugging the filter, that is if some or lots or it would squeeze out into the case,

Be sure to check and flatten the cover plate if need be as the holes become deformed from overtightening at times.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Thanks... Ya'll seem to know these International Cubs pretty good. I'm new to this and haven't purchased one yet. I want one because my Papa had one years ago... want to keep the family lawn brand going instead of these cheap stamped un-American mowers! I will post more questions that may be simple or silly to some so bare with me. If anyone is from Southeast with a lawn tractor with mower and or tiller attachment let me know. Willing to travel for the right one. Thanks for all the help and responses....