Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 10-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsruskw View Post
A few things to look (out) for:
Do the tie rod and drag link ends have a grease fitting??
Mine do not and it dropped one at 240 hrs. (I think they have fixed this issue since)
Never seen a brand new mower that did have grease fittings on the tie rods.

Quote:
Plastic holder for the choke cable to dash connection has broken, so if you choke the engine for starting, you must raise the hood to be sure it has returned to the full off choke position.
That sounds like a pain. If I wanted to open the hood every time I started it, I'd just manually choke it. Cheap junk plastic parts. I'll keep my metal choke cable.

Quote:
The 54 fab deck cuts great but the bagger (3 bag) has a tendency to plug right at the end of the deck.
That's EVERY bagger I've ever ran.

Quote:
Be careful if you use a power washer or air hose on it for cleaning, the decals will fly off in a heart beat.
Normal cheap stickers. Never had that issue with the older tractors did we. Shoot, a lot of them have been to heck and back, paint gone, but the sticker is still in place.

Quote:
The front tires are about worn smooth on the outside edge already. They will be replaced w/rib style tires soon.
That's an alignment issue. Better fix it or the new tires will be the same way in the same amount of time.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:13 PM

I am a little late but congrats on your new XT3 and I truly hope it is a good one that will last you many many years. I have been interested in the XT3 GS since it was first introduced. There are some foot pedal & operator control changes that Cub as made that are different from my 14 yr. old shaft drive 2166 but I am still interested in one in the near future. I do like the 42" stamped deck and mine has given a really good cut on our 2 acres plus is easier for me to service with my health issues. I did look at the JD X570 but no dealers here would attempt to replace the 48" deck with the 42" deck that I know has been done successfully. The reason being it is less weight, I would only have to contend with servicing 2 blades and it would negotiate some tight places in my yard. Being down south I have no need for snow blower and am not physically able to deal with a garden so all I would use one for is mowing and pulling a lawn sweeper for leaves. Again good luck with your new machine.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedawg View Post
I am a little late but congrats on your new XT3 and I truly hope it is a good one that will last you many many years. I have been interested in the XT3 GS since it was first introduced. There are some foot pedal & operator control changes that Cub as made that are different from my 14 yr. old shaft drive 2166 but I am still interested in one in the near future. I do like the 42" stamped deck and mine has given a really good cut on our 2 acres plus is easier for me to service with my health issues. I did look at the JD X570 but no dealers here would attempt to replace the 48" deck with the 42" deck that I know has been done successfully. The reason being it is less weight, I would only have to contend with servicing 2 blades and it would negotiate some tight places in my yard. Being down south I have no need for snow blower and am not physically able to deal with a garden so all I would use one for is mowing and pulling a lawn sweeper for leaves. Again good luck with your new machine.
Thanks everyone.

I understand medical issues, one of the reasonsame for a new machine for me is back issues. I too stuck with a 42" due to tight places to mow, however I gotta say if you CAN by any chance.... go bigger.
I believe a bigger deck would be more efficient or effective on the this machine.
If you can do it, get the Fab deck.... I wish I went with a fab deck that was at least 48" but again space is an issue for me.
That's yet another benefit of an old machine, they were smaller but bigger!

BTW: the X500 have a 500 off incentive right now, a better deck (vs stamped), and IMO a much better cut. In fact I sorta feel that my 30 year old JD has a nicer cut then my XT3. That may not be a popular thing to say here in yellow land... but I believe in letting people know information.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
Thanks everyone.

I understand medical issues, one of the reasonsame for a new machine for me is back issues. I too stuck with a 42" due to tight places to mow...
I believe a bigger deck would be more efficient or effective on the this machine.

BTW: the X500 have a 500 off incentive right now, a better deck (vs stamped), and IMO a much better cut. In fact I sorta feel that my 30 year old JD has a nicer cut then my XT3. That may not be a popular thing to say here in yellow land... but I believe in letting people know information.
I mowed part of our place Monday mid morning before it rained and picked up leaves today then finished mowing; it takes about 3+/- hours to mow it all not including trimming which is another hour or so. A 48" deck would maybe cut mowing time down by only 10-15 min. but the hassle of the heavier weight to drop and move around for service is why I like the 42" deck. Plus only 2 blades to sharpen at a time when all the spares get dull and less parts to deal with. As far as a JD X500 I would have dropped the coins in a NY second if the 2 dealers around here would think outside the box so I will most probably stick with Cub. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Snow plow IS electric lift (uses deck lift)

A small update...
We installed the plow today for the first time.
It IS electric lift, it is NOT manual lift. Short of the long, the dealership was wrong... go figure, that gives me a great feeling about any other info he gave me...

It was not bad to install, after some adjustments it works very well.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Grand Member

Have pics of it? How fast does it raise?
1- 1864 in pieces
QA36A Thrower, #1 Tiller w/ extensions, IH windbreaker, IH wheel weights, 44C mower deck, 50C mower deck, CCC 54" Blade, GT46 high vacuum deck, GT54 deck, Cub Tripple Bagger, Custom dozer blade, Custom suitcase weights, 3pt cultivator, lawn sweeper, original R-Bucket
Old 10-22-2017, 10:56 PM

I'm interested as well. The deck is electric lift as well? Does it use the same mechanism(s)? I'm not at all familiar with those tractors, but they look interesting.
1872 project
Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 L
42" power angle snowblade, #2 tiller, 2-QA42a snowthrowers, 450 thrower, #2 cart; 54" Haban blade; Brinly box blade, 48" dethatcher, moldboard plow; Agri-Fab sweeper
1200, 1863, 1864 parts machines
Old 10-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Yes gentlemen, I will get some pictures when I have a second. Its a busy week in my world....

Yes, the blade lift mounts to the deck lift, the blade weight distribution (or mounting point) Ties into the frame above the front wheels and in the front of the tractor. I am generally not a fan of plows that are NOT mid-mount but this seems pretty solid. I tested it with dirt and stone, it did amazingly well in terms of applied down-force, along with the adequate power of the 25hp V-twin it did not struggle at all to break up and dig clay (even though its not really designed to do it)....

I also installed a HL bypass switch, a marine 12v adapter (cigarette lighter) to run a yellow hazard light for night time plowing. It is safe to say that this thing is fitting right among our other machines and I have not fired an old cast iron Kohler since we brought the XT3 home... We are absolutely loving the XT3, I have also gotten it to mow a little better. The first time I was ready to send it back... As my 30yo JD mowed WAY better, but now I'm getting used to the deck and its quirks. Although for the best of $7K, it should not have any damn quirks....

The tractor also handles the plow VERY well. Any modern machine I have ever plowed with was concerning (to say the least). Simple things that were glorified due to the shitty construction, like when you hit a bump with the plow raised it bounces all over and will eventually break something... NONE OF THIS with the XT3, it is a well built machine and works (in terms of solid feel) just like an old machine. In fact it feels more stable and effortless then my 125 does... Mainly because its wider and bigger I think. The old machines have a place of their own but many older ones are narrow, and you can tell this when under heavy plow. The XT3, you dont even know you have a plow on!