Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 AM

Default 1450 engine rebuild - do it myself, or get help?

I've got a Cub Cadet 1450 with most likely a broken connecting rod. (Haven't taken it totally apart yet, but heard a snap, and rotating the drive shaft has no effect on the piston.)

I like the heft of the old tractor, and would rather rebuild than buy something big box, even if the money ends up being about the same. What I'm unclear about is whether I should take this on myself (and I'll have to spend at least $100 in tools I figure, and that'll involve a lot of making do), or find someone in the area that has done this before and pay that person to do it for me.

To characterize my level of expertise... I've never rebuilt an engine before. I've done a fair amount of car repair with the likes of brakes and alternators, replaced head gaskets and stuff like that, but adjusting the valves on this cub cadet is the most "inside" of the engine I've been. I'm on the handy side of "Joe Homeowner" (which is what I am), not quite a shade-tree mechanic, and well below a full out mechanic with a shop and all the equipment.

When I say I'll need to buy some tools, I don't mean wrenches and the sort... I'm all set there. I have gear pullers that should be able to pull the flywheel, but I don't have stuff like I'd need to hone the cylinder walls, or micrometers/telescoping bore gauge to determine if I need to bore the cylinder or grind the crankshaft, engine stand, valve spring compressor (but can borrow from auto parts store), no hydraulic press, etc.

I'll pull the engine myself (have it almost out now). I live in the Finger Lakes region in Upstate NY. Is there some engine rebuilder nearby who does this all the time, and I should just bring the engine to them, pay $200 in labor (just guessing), parts another $200, but save $100 in tools, OR (as I would anticipate the response to this post would be given the forum I am posting to), regard any tool buying as an investment, leverage the vast expertise on this forum and youtube tutorials, and learn something in the process?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Grand Member

I would remove the engine and pull the oil pan before you make plans to rebuild it, it's not uncommon for the block to get broken when the connecting to breaks. You may also need a crank shaft because you will find the connecting rod scored it up beyond repair when it locked up, it's also possible it damaged the camshaft. if you need a block and crank you may be better off buying an engine that's already rebuilt.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 09-19-2017, 10:56 AM

I will heed that advice. Thank you.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Grand Member

Whereabouts in the finger lakes region are you? I might take on rebuilding the engine for you. I've done a couple 3 in my day. I live in Homer NY.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs-n-bxrs View Post
Whereabouts in the finger lakes region are you? I might take on rebuilding the engine for you. I've done a couple 3 in my day. I live in Homer NY.
Looks like we're in opposite ends of the region. I'm in Canandaigua, about 2 hours drive. I appreciate the offer. Following Tim's advice, I'll pull the engine completely this weekend (kids and wife permitting), see if the block is in OK shape, and what the internals look like. Will plan next steps from there.

The piston that's in there reads "STD", so I take that as a good sign that this engine hasn't been rebuilt already, or at least not bored out.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw1400 View Post
To characterize my level of expertise... I've never rebuilt an engine before. I've done a fair amount of car repair with the likes of brakes and alternators, replaced head gaskets and stuff like that, but adjusting the valves on this cub cadet is the most "inside" of the engine I've been. I'm on the handy side of "Joe Homeowner" (which is what I am), not quite a shade-tree mechanic, and well below a full out mechanic with a shop and all the equipment.

When I say I'll need to buy some tools, I don't mean wrenches and the sort... I'm all set there. I have gear pullers that should be able to pull the flywheel, but I don't have stuff like I'd need to hone the cylinder walls, or micrometers/telescoping bore gauge to determine if I need to bore the cylinder or grind the crankshaft, engine stand, valve spring compressor (but can borrow from auto parts store), no hydraulic press, etc.

You don't need any of those tools. You don't need a bore gauge, cylinder hone, engine stand..... NONE OF IT. You WILL need a machine shop able to bore the block, and either grind, or send the crank off for grinding. It's not a "maybe". Those things will need done. Just hire the shop to also do the valve job, and they can install the valves when done. I'm not a fan of guys doing an overhaul on their own anymore. Just seems the "average Joe" is less capable of things than he thinks he is. Don't know if it's just ignorance, or societal "norm" now to think you can do things just because you can watch a YouTube video on how to do, or what....

Go find a shop first, then go from there. Make sure they can and will do small engines, and know about them. Oh, and if you paid someone for the entire job, cost should be between $500 and $700 depending on what all they do, it can go higher.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM

I just went through this myself with my 1450. There is a guy locally by me who does engine work just because he loves the old Cubs! He has done a few for me over the years. On my last one for comparison he charged me $300 in labor for grinding the crank, boring .010, hot tanking, rebuilding the carb, valve job, complete disassembly and assemble plus painting it. I got all my Kohler parts by scrounging Epay, sponsors etc. I used all Kohler stuff and replaced points, condenser, plug, carb rebuild kit, exhaust valve, governor spring, bushed the carb. I think that's everything and had about $250 in parts. So I put about $550-$600 in mine. Now it's good for another $20 years!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Grand Member

I agree with Jonathan if you have not done it, have no one skilled to help you, you may do more harm than good. Plus you could spend a great deal of time and still not get good results. Both my son and I have good mechanical abilities but will not attempt a DIY engine overhaul. JMech did our last one and it purrs like a kitten at idle and roars like a lion at full throttle.
With my son, EricR Super 2084 with 54" mower, 451 blower. 2086 with 3 pt hitch, 54 inch deck, 551 blower, 54 in brinly blade. A 4 digit original w deck. A 70 with deck. 2 102s both with 42 in decks, one with creeper, 1 36 inch IH snow thrower CW36, 1 42 inch IH blade. 149 with mower. 2072 w 3 pt hitch, Johnny bucket, 60 in mower, 451 blower. Jacobson GT 10 with mower. DR Lawn vac tow behind,Home made lawn roller. Brinly cart, 2 off brand carts and 1 home made cart.

Tags
rebuild novice k321aqs