Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Inactive Member

Chris I included a nice set of the brackets in your last pic with your gift basket.

AJ
1979 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]682- Mag18, Sleeve Hitch, Spring Assist, #1 Tiller
1980 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]782- Mag18, Sleeve Hitch
1983 [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]982- Stock, Fully Optioned
Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Grand Member

AJ, Thanks! Looks like I will have a few spare tiller parts also.
Appreciate you jumping in and helping out with some parts that you were not going to use!
Allen, Thanks! Can always count on a good word from you! It helps believe me! At some point about 80% of the tear down you wonder if your doing the right thing! Support is great from all you folks! I think wht I am finding is that there are not that many folks that have torn these tillers all the way down? That may be a good sign meaning that they are bullet proof for the most part and with some care they will last a long time too!

I did shop for hardware today and picked up about $60.00 worth of stainless nuts, bolts and washers. Also got a sheet of gasket material for the case gasket to be made out of too.
Starting to turn the corner on this project! I like putting clean painted parts together with new hardware! Yea the stainless is a lot of overkill. But these may get hauled around to a show for a season. So the implements will get a little bling.
Still need to find the gear box and bracket for the back of the tractor. I may call my cub guy in Ohio He may have found one?
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 AM

I'm glad to see your progress on this tiller rebuild. I have one that is just about completely torn down, and I agree with you: not for the the faint of heart! I have two bearing sleeves that are grown on to the tine shaft. Once I get those loose, I'll be ready to start putting mine back together.

I'll watch this thread and be sure to ask questions if I run into problems.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Grand Member

Default tiller talk

nra1ifer,
I smiled when I read your post. I have the same inner bearing races still grown on the main drive shaft. I will wait till I get the parts from AJ and see what I need to do to get started with the re assembly work. Most of the effort will go into the work in the case. I want that to be as new, fresh and robust as possible. That's where all the action is happening. I did price these new bearings from a local Cub dealer and they were going to be a lot of money.

I may try to save that drive shaft (even as a spare) that I have by heating, cutting, and removing the rusted on inner races.

Nice to know someone else is into these too. Your welcome to comment/ suggest things I might do to improve. If you have some pictures post them here or better yet start a thread.
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Grand Member

Default bearing races

nra1ifer,
Does your drive shaft look about like this? Also notice the next shaft up has one grown on it too. I think I could save them if I had to. How were you planning to get these inner races off? The gear teeth look great on all 4 gears. I did note that the upper chain is #40 and the lower on is next size bigger chain. Not sure what number chain that would be?
Going to wait till I get my box of goodies from AJ Gross and then decide if I need to work on this pair of shafts and stuck bearing races?
Also a shot of the electrolysis tank still working away behind the garage even with the 12 inches of new snow. I am down to cleaning the bearing retainer plates. I may put the tine assemblies in the tank to clean them up too?
Regards,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1384.jpg (17.7 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1385.jpg (20.9 KB, 264 views)

Old 01-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
even with the 12 inches of new snow.
That's not fair, I have been here in the middle of the state waiting all winter to get some seat time on the 2086 and blower and only a few ground coverings to show for it. . LOL.

Nice continuation on the tiller Chris.
1961-PTE-"O", needs lots of work.
2072-Repowered with a ch18, Woods tractor.
149 with my Dad. 44" deck and QA36A.
#9-70 with weights and sleeve hitch.
#10-149 with a 38inch deck.
2015 Kubota BX 2670.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

Chris, sweet update! No need to put the tines in the tank. Once they hit the dirt they will shine right up! No need to sharpen them either.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Grand Member

Well, I think I'll restore everything, but not the case. Yes, I'am working hard on IHCC stuff here in this land! You are doing a awesome job at your #1 tiller restore. A great contribution and help for us who have this tiller can now be found at Only Cub Cadets, thanks to you!

The sheet metal is looking wonderful! I agree, it is very rewarding to assemble a dirt machine having put in the grunt work. When my 72 becomes restored, my #1 is next on the bucket list. I happen to have got the whole she-bang for 125. from OCC member Ryan last spring. I will keep a eye out for the 90* gear box. They are out there.

And, alot of times its best to walk away for a period of time from the projects. Helps to stay focused. Again, nice job and keep up the good work!
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES
Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Grand Member

John,
Thanks, appreciate the comments! I always hope these words and pictures can help some one else in the hobby too. I have enjoyed the pictures of other members and it gives me the incentive to tackle some of these projects that I am not as familiar with.
You got a good deal on all the tiller items!
If I can help on your restoration let me know.
I assume you have used the tiller already and verified it works OK?
If not:
Just a warning! Make sure those big bottom bearings are real good. After removing the dust caps I found mine were junk! Some of the ball bearings were actually missing! Must have gotten chewed up? Glad I took it apart,but it was a challenge! The tiller would not have preformed well at all with those old bearings. Might have looked good but not ran well. My gear box rolled over but very stiff. Now I see why, lack of lubrication and rusted/ impacted dirt filled bearings.

N.E Ohio! What town you located in? I am about 15 miles from the Ohio line.

My goal would be to use this tiller to put in a bigger garden in the next few years and try to keep the weeds down plus get some more seat time too. I have a 102 with creeper that may be the tractor that this goes on. But that's another project. It does not have a upper lift arm and would need spring assist. And could use a complete restoration runs good but has its work cloths on. Humm, I think I better stop now or will talk myself into another years worth of projects
Regards,
Chris

Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Grand Member

Chris,

I have not yet used my tiller. It has taken me some time and research just to acknowledge all the items and requirements of the #1. So that told me that I needed a tractor first off. And then of course that tractor had to meet the requirements of the tiller which has led me to a restore and some big up-grades on my stock model 72. Thats where I'am at a year later on my tiller.

My tines are 1/2 wore out. Not a huge amount of rust all over it. I will take heed and inspect those bearings. Seems no play on the tiller axel and operates by hand with no noise. Guess we'll see! To be honest, I have no idea as to how to assemble all the tiller components and have it work like a charm. I did find a paper manual from http://www.binderbooks.com part # 1019919 IH #1 Tiller Manual for $11.95 and figure to have that immediately. Shipping is 6.95 last I checked.

I live in Geauga County, about 40 miles from the PA border. I plan to be in Westmiddlesex jan 28 for the breakfast and cub talk meeting.

Hope the 102 works out, and it sounds like it will. It is a great tractor! My goal is to ride the tractor and have a operational #1 tiller. All my garden beds are permanent so the tilling should be easy with 1/2 wore out tines. I priced tines at $11.00 each at Patton Acres, so I'am using the original tines for now.
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES