Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
by papaglide
Thanks for the pics. I love to see them and their explanations. They inspire me to start working on stuff BUT my lack of experience really brings out my timidness. I am just afraid that once I get started and take something apart I'll get stuck and screw it up
The older Cubs are not hard to work on. Get yourself a repair manual, take plenty of pictures and you be surprise how easy it is to work on your Cub. There are plenty of members who can help you if you have problems.

Quote:
by RPalmer
Is your sons clutch toast from pulling?
Let's see..........pulling, plowing, tug of wars and hooking to a tree.
Hooking to a tree needs an explanation. We had problems dialing in the motor. The motor doesn't run right until there is a load on the motor because of the modification(s) that were done to it. An easy way to put a load on the motor was to hook it to something that wasn't going to move. Most of the time 2nd gear was used. Towards the end (fine tune stage) 3rd gear was used. Bad choice....clutch didn't like that too well.

Son did take it the 86 to a tug of war event about a month ago. Somehow he talk them into running the 86 in 1000 pound stock class. He won that class. A 6 year old girl gave him the most competition in stock class. The winner of the 1000 pound stock class and 1100 pound outlaw class had a pull off. Son won 2 straight tugs against the outlaw winner.

On the way back to the trailer the motor in the 86 quit. The condenser fell off the tractor. Motor hasn't ran since.

We were surprise to see how bad the clutch look when the motor was pulled.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Merk,

Winning in 1K lbs class and 2 outlaw pulls is worth a clutch. It really is.:biggrin2.gif:

I love these stories.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Grand Member

Merk,

I noticed in your pictures that on the dash tower where the hood latches down there are a couple black bushings bolted on each side. My 100 no longer has those pieces and the hood is worn thru on both sides from rubbing on the metal. Could you get me some dimensions on those pieces so I can make a set for mine. Are the bushings rubber or plastic?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 PM

The OEM ones are steel and that's why the hood wears through. Later models had rubber ones. When I redid my 100, I zinc-plated the steel ones and used them. I'm curious to see what Merk used on his.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
by RPalmer
Winning in 1K lbs class and 2 outlaw pulls is worth a clutch. It really is.

I love these stories.
The clutch was still working good in 1st and 2nd. I wanted to use that clutch in the 70.

Quote:
by IHinIN
I noticed in your pictures that on the dash tower where the hood latches down there are a couple black bushings bolted on each side. My 100 no longer has those pieces and the hood is worn thru on both sides from rubbing on the metal. Could you get me some dimensions on those pieces so I can make a set for mine. Are the bushings rubber or plastic?
Thanks
I pick those bushings on ebay. This is the first time I tried them.
I will try to post more info Saturday. Note sure what material the bushings are made from.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:55 AM

I bought those black nylon hood bushings off ebay. Came w/ all the hardware and work great. Thought the price was fair also.
Ian
Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Grand Member

The game plan for today is to get the 70 running today. Tried to install the throttle and chock cables....both were too short. I did find a throttle cable that works. Next was the fuel tank. I was missing a piece in the fuel line. Looks like it's time to see if I can make a fuel line that will work. The old sediment bowl doesn't look that good. I found a Sten's version that looks like the old one. This is what the fuel line looks like now:

The last thing that needs done before start up is a negitive battery cable. The orginal cable went from the battery to a bolt that holds the right front tower on. I've had better results with the negitive cable connected to the starter-generator bolt.

The 70 was pushed outside...

Will it start???????????
Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 PM

That looks fantastic!

Is that teflon tape on the fuel line connections? I tried that once and the gas pretty much ate through it after about a month. I'm not sure teflon tape is gas-resistant...
Old 09-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Grand Member

Nice progress, Dale! The 70 looks great!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
by Matt G.
Is that teflon tape on the fuel line connections? I tried that once and the gas pretty much ate through it after about a month. I'm not sure teflon tape is gas-resistant...
It is teflon tape. I've been using it for years with no problems.