Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 05:19 PM

Merk, I am new to this wonderful site. And I have been going thru all of the posts, and looking at all of the fine tractors here. All I can say about your build is wow, woow, WOOOOOW !!! Looks beautiful .
Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
by bustedglass
Merk, I am new to this wonderful site. And I have been going thru all of the posts, and looking at all of the fine tractors here. All I can say about your build is wow, woow, WOOOOOW !!! Looks beautiful .
Thanks!!!!!
B.T.W.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions.
There are plenty here that can help.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedglass View Post
Mike,
Welcome. I didn't realize you were into Cubs - I know you're into the Wheel Horses from being over on RS.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Merk,
Any updates you been holding out on?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 AM

Smile Family 70

Merk.

Thanks for all the pictures, and the step by step tear down, and the reassembly.

Can't wait to see finished cub.

What you have posted really helps everbody.

It shows us that we all can do the same with our cubs.

Walter
Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Grand Member

Cool Holy cow!

Great play by play Merk! I agree, like most have already commented....the pictures your including for most every step....EXCELLENT reference! You could damn near write a quick reference manual for restoration tips on this tractor....defianately can't wait to see the end product. Yes, the pop bottle idea for holding the rim up for painting.....sweet! That's using your head for more than a hat rack!
Just wondering....how do you manage to get the new tires re-mounted without scraping off all the fresh paint? Do you take the rims to get paint baked on (or does that even make it tougher to withstand harsh dings and scratches??). I know the guys with the tire machines will do a decent job....but will the tires fit on a regular tire machine? Do they have paddend ends or something for "special" occasions?

Hope when the time comes that I need to restor a Cub, or an IH (red one), mine turns out as good as yours!

M.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
by RPalmer
Any updates you been holding out on?
Sorry for the delay....It's been a little crazy around here.
Quote:
by WALTER
Merk.

Thanks for all the pictures, and the step by step tear down, and the reassembly.

Can't wait to see finished cub.

What you have posted really helps everbody.

It shows us that we all can do the same with our cubs.

Walter
Thanks Walter!!

Quote:
by Mountain Heritage
Great play by play Merk! I agree, like most have already commented....the pictures your including for most every step....EXCELLENT reference! You could damn near write a quick reference manual for restoration tips on this tractor....defianately can't wait to see the end product. Yes, the pop bottle idea for holding the rim up for painting.....sweet! That's using your head for more than a hat rack!
Just wondering....how do you manage to get the new tires re-mounted without scraping off all the fresh paint? Do you take the rims to get paint baked on (or does that even make it tougher to withstand harsh dings and scratches??). I know the guys with the tire machines will do a decent job....but will the tires fit on a regular tire machine? Do they have paddend ends or something for "special" occasions?

Hope when the time comes that I need to restor a Cub, or an IH (red one), mine turns out as good as yours!
Thanks for the coments!!!
I have a great tire dealer that is carefull when they install tires. Sometimes I have to do a a little touch up.....It's part of the process. My "bake on" process is taking freshly painted parts and leave them sit a few days in my cargo trailer. The temps are usually around 90 degrees inside the trailer.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Grand Member

I've added a few things since my last post:

The clutch/driveshaft is the next thing that needs built. When I rebuild a clutch assembly I will replace the bushing before I paint and pins in the driver plate assembly after I paint.

I still use the instructions to assemble a clutch assembly. The istructions to build a clutch were found on Brian Miller's web site: (*************************************************) .
I had to build a driveshaft. I found the needed infomation on Brian Miller's site to know the length of drive shaft and where to drill the holes for the pins. A little trick-tip I learned on a different site is take an old shaft to set vise on my drill press as shown:

Finish driveshaft:

The pressure plates were trued on a lathe before they were painted. Here is what they look before trueing on a lathe:

After trueing on a lathe:

I like to install 2nd pin from the motor first. The rear pressure plate has to be able to slid back and forth freely on the drive shaft for the clutch to work right. Same thing goes for the throw out bearing....it must be able to slide back and forth freely on the drive shaft. Next install the rear pressure plate, clutch disk and the front pressure plate and drive pin in place.

The following parts are installed in this order behind the rear pressure plate:
teaser spring
clutch release lever
throwout bearing
clutch loading spring
washer
I need to compress the clutch loading spring to install the pin that hold tension on the clutch loading spring . this is the tool I use to compress the spring:

Pin installed

Next is to install the rear coupler.

The driveshaft is ready to install.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Grand Member

Clutch is installed in 70
Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Did you ever paint the driveshaft, or leave it bare metal? When I did my 100, I painted it, but scratched the heck out of it putting it together.