Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Grand Member

Jon,

That looks like a really nice unit.. IH planters aren't common in this area... seems like all the deer hunters use the 71 John Deeres.. but that seems to be the only thing that is plentiful and easy to find in the weeds!

Dad built this really neat setup back in the late 60's from a small Cole intended for a David Bradley walk behind tractor.. I had just replaced the fertilizer hopper in this picture.

Like you said.. dad grew up on the farm and wanted one that worked like the big boys! We have used it several times to replant one or two rows of soybeans in the field... works great even after 50 plus years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg planter.jpg (28.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg planter 2.jpg (31.0 KB, 211 views)

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer
Old 02-02-2018, 11:53 PM
Banned

Thanks Aaron!

Jay, that's a nice set up! I think you showed that pic one other time.... Maybe in the thread I had asking all those questions about the Brinly/Cole unit I have?

Anyway... Yes, the 71Deere row unit is also a popular choice. I would have taken one of those had I found it. Deere did make a really good planter. Afterall, Kinze copied it for their first row unit! But.... I really wanted a red one, lol.

I haven't done anything to the planter since my last post. The painted seed hoppers are almost dry. They still dented with a fingernail today, but just barely. Really, the biggest hold up is not having Argon for the welder. As soon as I get some more, I'll do some work on the hitch. I'm half tempted to just drag out the stick welder. I have plenty of rods.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:04 PM

Default Uniform depth with Brinly

Jon, To get uniform depth with the Brinly you need to add a "knee" joint so the planter can follow the ground. The sleeve hitch mount will not do that. I use the Brinly on a green tractor with 3pt. The "knee" joint is between the toplink and the A frame. The planter is rigidly mounted to the A frame like it would be to your tractor. The "knee" joint allows the planter to rotate around the 3pt hitch pins and follow the ground. I have a picture around here somewhere. I know you have seen enough of my Cole 12MX behind my 332. You are going to have to eventually breakdown and buy a compact like I did to be able to cultivate crops later in their growth stage. My "family" garden is about 100' by 140'. Not a lot of "family" help though. It actually got down in the mid teens here last month. So, peaches should do well this year.

Bill
Old 02-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Grand Member

What kind of monitor will you be using? We have both the cyclometer and seedsense2

I would recommend a Trimble FM 750 or 1000. What we run now. It would give you so many more options with not just monitoring the planter, but section control, variable rate and auto steer are huge plus as well. Section control is a must
1- 1864 in pieces
QA36A Thrower, #1 Tiller w/ extensions, IH windbreaker, IH wheel weights, 44C mower deck, 50C mower deck, CCC 54" Blade, GT46 high vacuum deck, GT54 deck, Cub Tripple Bagger, Custom dozer blade, Custom suitcase weights, 3pt cultivator, lawn sweeper, original R-Bucket
Old 02-11-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Anyway... Yes, the 71Deere row unit is also a popular choice. I would have taken one of those had I found it. Deere did make a really good planter. Afterall, Kinze copied it for their first row unit! But.... I really wanted a red one, lol.
Actually, Kinzie started out buying JD Max Emerge row units for their planter frames, but JD saw how many planters he was selling and cut him off. Then he started building his own version of their row unit, the black ones instead of green. He got away with it because JD had a patent that was no good. They had copied some features of an Oliver planter and had actually used a picture of one in their patent application.

His book is really worth reading. There's a long chapter about the planter units and the legal battle that came about because of him building his own row units.
2 Originals, 100, 105, 125, 1450, 1200, 2 IH 982's, 1211, 2072, 2-1864's, 1782, 3 - 42" front blades, 3 Haban 54" blades, Haban sickle mower, BB36, QA-36A, 42" IH rear blade, 42" IH landscape rake, #1 tiller, #40 box blade, 59M shredder, #2 cart, International 3312 push mower, International 250 power washer, 1952 IH refridgerator, 1971 IH 1210 3/4T 4x4 truck
Old 02-13-2018, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
Jon, To get uniform depth with the Brinly you need to add a "knee" joint so the planter can follow the ground. The sleeve hitch mount will not do that. I use the Brinly on a green tractor with 3pt. The "knee" joint is between the toplink and the A frame. The planter is rigidly mounted to the A frame like it would be to your tractor. The "knee" joint allows the planter to rotate around the 3pt hitch pins and follow the ground. I have a picture around here somewhere.
Bill, feel free to post a pic, but if I understand what you are describing, it doesn't seem it would matter if it has the joint of not. A 3pt hitch will simply float up and down based on the rear wheel of the planter. Having a "knee" joint in the top link wouldn't matter. The hitch should float anyway. On a sleeve hitch, the tires of the tractor are the front "mount" of the planter, and the rear tire is the depth control. The planter should plant uniform between the two points. The real issue is the shoe style depth control. It either digs in, or any debris balls up on the knife making it furrow deeper. It's a cheaper design, and for the most part obsolete. Field planters used a long runner or "rail" as a furrow opener. It's not the preferred style, but it's better than a shoe. This new planter is a double disk opener and has a large rear rubber wheel. The rear tire can get good traction as opposed to the smooth steel wheel on the Brinly, and the double disk won't ball up, or "furrow" like the shoe will. I think I solved on the issues in one step! Or rather, the big planter guys did. I didn't design it, lol. I just was not impressed with the Brinly/Cole at all. I think it would likely be decent on firm soil, but not in tilled ground. It didn't do bad last year after I used a lawn roller as a cultimulcher, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
I know you have seen enough of my Cole 12MX behind my 332. You are going to have to eventually breakdown and buy a compact like I did to be able to cultivate crops later in their growth stage. My "family" garden is about 100' by 140'. Not a lot of "family" help though. It actually got down in the mid teens here last month. So, peaches should do well this year.
Bill, you are welcome to post any pics of your planter you want! I enjoy seeing it!
As far as breaking down and getting a compact.... not likely. I'll get a utility or a small farm tractor first I imagine. I really want an IH 656, or a 3000 Ford. I'd take either.

MMMMMMMMM,,,,, peaches! Feel free to send me some!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue11 View Post
What kind of monitor will you be using? We have both the cyclometer and seedsense2

I would recommend a Trimble FM 750 or 1000. What we run now. It would give you so many more options with not just monitoring the planter, but section control, variable rate and auto steer are huge plus as well. Section control is a must
You know, it still has the seed monitor pickup on the tube.... maybe I can make a single row monitor... or at least hook it up to a light and make it blink! LMFAO!

Not really sure the other stuff applies.... but it would be cool to make a 3 row folding planter for the 982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdheck View Post
Actually, Kinzie started out buying JD Max Emerge row units for their planter frames, but JD saw how many planters he was selling and cut him off. Then he started building his own version of their row unit, the black ones instead of green. He got away with it because JD had a patent that was no good. They had copied some features of an Oliver planter and had actually used a picture of one in their patent application.

His book is really worth reading. There's a long chapter about the planter units and the legal battle that came about because of him building his own row units.
I'm familiar about how Kinze got his unit, but didn't know that Deere copied the Oliver units. I also didn't know that Kinze has a book..... what's the name of it? I want it because I don't have it, and I really like to read books like that! I have a whole stack of books on IH, Cub Cadet, farm tractors, combines..... ect, ect.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
I'm familiar about how Kinze got his unit, but didn't know that Deere copied the Oliver units. I also didn't know that Kinze has a book..... what's the name of it? I want it because I don't have it, and I really like to read books like that! I have a whole stack of books on IH, Cub Cadet, farm tractors, combines..... ect, ect.
50 Years of Disruptive Innovation

JD didn't exactly copy them, but copied a feature or two that caused them to loose the lawsuit with Jon Kinzenbaw.

I'm a book collector myself. My library includes Oliver, Farmall, Cub Cadet, old machinist/metalworking books, as well as a few other more minor topics.
2 Originals, 100, 105, 125, 1450, 1200, 2 IH 982's, 1211, 2072, 2-1864's, 1782, 3 - 42" front blades, 3 Haban 54" blades, Haban sickle mower, BB36, QA-36A, 42" IH rear blade, 42" IH landscape rake, #1 tiller, #40 box blade, 59M shredder, #2 cart, International 3312 push mower, International 250 power washer, 1952 IH refridgerator, 1971 IH 1210 3/4T 4x4 truck
Old 02-15-2018, 01:37 AM

For those who may not know, Kinzie started out as a little welding shop and grew to what it is today. They are still privately owned and from what I understand, they maintain more of a family atmosphere within the company. As someone who has been in manufacturing, I can really appreciate that. My last employer didn't give about their employees as long as we kept their profit in the millions each month.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Default Brinly Planter

I would agree that a 295 IH row unit would be much better than a Brinly, planter but I found this one in a dark corner of a local barn. It cost me a gallon of gas a 2 quarts of oil - I traded my time to get 3 pieces of garden equipment started in the spring for the planter. It was missing the drive chains and took some TLC, but I think it turned out respectable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (22.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 1650 w Planter.jpg (26.1 KB, 69 views)