Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > Restoration Tips

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 10:25 PM

Default Painting advice

I'm hoping to start my project pretty soon. I wanted to get some ideas on the best way for me to paint my cub. From what I can tell these are my options...

Buy cubcadet rattle cans and spray. I'm going to be painting almost the whole thing so I think that might be a little much

I have a nice compressor so maybe buy a spray gun?

Send the larger parts out to get painted and spray can the smaller parts.

Also, do you folks strip everything down and prime?

I know nothing so please, any advice would be helpful :-)
Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Grand Member

There are literally 100 facets to painting, a compressor is the best approach for something bigger than a rear wheel.

I did not learn in an hour, nor do perfect work.

Rattle cans have a shorter learning curve, but, I only use them for an occasional priming, etc..,,,,,,of a non critical part.

YMMV
Old 09-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Grand Member

I use IH paint in rattle cans. I have a compressor and gun but little experience with it and no good place to use it. I also like the rattle cans for convenience--no clean up and you can paint a few items at a time without a lot of prep time.

I generally sand to good original paint and to remove any rust. Small parts I will sandblast or take to a shop to have this done. I prime and paint myself. I've used Rustoleum Rust Reformer for some parts (primarily decks) where total removal of the rust wouldn't leave much else.

Do as much or as little as you want. It's your tractor!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Grand Member

My advice I would buy a hvlp gun and paint it. Harbor freight has some very inexpensive ones that do great,thats what I bought to paint my 1200 with if you do this also get a respirator for painting and some throw away latex or similar gloves ,wear a hat and long sleeves or coveralls. If you have rust your going to need to get the parts sandblasted or use something to get the rust off with down to clean metal to you can prime. A Da or orbit sander will work Where the paint is just faded not rusted I would sand it smooth (take the shine off) Always clean the surface after sanding and before painting,the quality of your paint job is only as good as your prep work. After I primed mine I used a gray scuff pad from oreillys to smooth out the surface before painting. Get an old car hood or something to practice on first. I'm no pro painter,but if I can do it anyone can!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0064.jpg (24.9 KB, 473 views)

April 1979 1200 Quietline 44A deck 1988 1211 customized into a 1288 with a K301AQS 38C deck and a 1864 54” deck . Snow blades 42" and 54" . Brinly disk, brinly plow a cultivator and a $5 brinly yard rake!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 PM

Thank you all for your reply :-)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnold View Post
I'm hoping to start my project pretty soon. I wanted to get some ideas on the best way for me to paint my cub. From what I can tell these are my options...

Buy cubcadet rattle cans and spray. I'm going to be painting almost the whole thing so I think that might be a little much

I have a nice compressor so maybe buy a spray gun?

Send the larger parts out to get painted and spray can the smaller parts.

Also, do you folks strip everything down and prime?

I know nothing so please, any advice would be helpful :-)
I have thus far taken every single part to a 72 down to complete bare metal. After that, I use 220 grit sandpaper and sand the bare metal. Another way is to have everything sandblasted. I had my rear rims sandblasted, but prefer the harder, narrow road by which will set up a bigger purse for the project.

For color paint I went with the Cub Cadet Yellow 759-3258 from my Cub Cadet dealer. Zippy1 did his IH Cub Cadet 100 with the rattle can, check out his thread. My color on the 72 frame alone was 106.00 . Believe me, I would have used a compressor and air sprayer if I had that!

Now, I have seen some nice work with other paint brands that may cost a little less. Like someone said, your prep work reflects your paint work. I chose to use a automotive metal primer sealer, then a primer, and lastly the color. Many, many coats of the 3 for a nice build up.
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES
Old 10-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Grand Member

I do a combination of rattle cans and HVLP. I took a finished part, sprayed from a can, to a body shop supply house and they matched that. Took a couple of tries, but now they have the formula down.

Smaller parts that become ready for paint in ones and twos...I rattle can. On the big stuff like the hood and fender pan, you are never going to achieve the best finish that way. The little nozzle simply can't get the paint onto the work in a wide enough, or generous enough pattern. HVLP is the way to go with the bigger stuff.

Then, when the inevitable chips occur down the line, your paint is all matched up so that rattle can touchups blend right in.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:04 PM

Default Color Scheme

Is the white just a standard white or did IH have a special white? I know this sounds silly but my daughter teaches art and has informed me of all the "off white" colors that exist in the world. Being "color challenged" or what doctors call "color confused" I am at the mercy of those with good color vision. I am especially challenged with red/green as they both are gray to me with no discernible difference to my eyes. I understand that IH dealers have the correct IH Cadet yellow probably the white also. Did these shades vary from year to year?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Grand Member

if you not a painter , nor will you paint anything else. dont waste your $$.

HVLP gun , thinner, reduser, hardener, paint sticks , strainers, rags, plastic to cover every thing in your shop.
it adds up quick

rattle cans are your best bet. unless you pay someone to paint it.

Original / IH 70 / IH 149 / IH 1650 / IH 582 / CCC 1772

West Central Ohio Farmall & Cub Cadet Club
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/226681087497199/