Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 04-24-2018, 04:20 PM

I appreciate the feedback, everyone. The route I would LIKE to take is getting a MIG on 220. I've already got a hookup for 220 in the garage so it makes sense. However, just like anything else, you obviously get what you pay for and as of now, I only have about $400 to spend on one, so I will likely just wait until I have enough to get a good used unit online. And yes, J-Mech, you are correct in that I am an absolute novice. I've just always been intrigued by welding and have SEVERAL projects that are on hold due to not having the means to stick some metal together.

Thanks again, and cheers

Chad

1971 126 w/ Brinly Sleeve Hitch, Plow, Discs, and Cultivator

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50159
Old 04-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Start scouting Craigslist. You might do quite well with what you have to spend.
I bought my mig 20 years ago, new ,a millermatic 185. I wish I had bought this machine the 1st time as I had 2 junkers before that. One was an astro that was advertised in places like popular mechanics for under $200 in and around the mid or late 80s I burnt that one out pretty quickly then a century 110v next, same result. In 20 years I have replaced 2 gun liners and that's it.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

What do you all think about these?

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/catalog-mig

or this one

https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...put-63621.html

Yes, I know they will never be as good as those pretty blue machines but sometimes pretty good is good enough.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post

or this one

Yes, I know they will never be as good as those pretty blue machines but sometimes pretty good is good enough.
I picked up my Hobart Handler 187 off Craigslist for a "wallet busting" $200. All I had to get was a bottle of shielding gas. It had just been serviced too.

Check CL for big brand name welders. Deals are out there
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post

or this one

I take it your looking at the Everlast multiprocess 210 or 230i?

If yes you might want to look at a Miller multimatic 215 which is very close to those prices.

But with that said, I would pick the green one especially if there is a dealer nearby.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:04 PM

Thumbs down

I avoid Harbor Freight like the plague. especially on shop equipment and large tools. I'd rather have a good used "name brand" piece of equipment than anything from there.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Pa View Post
I picked up my Hobart Handler 187 off Craigslist for a "wallet busting" $200. All I had to get was a bottle of shielding gas. It had just been serviced too.

Check CL for big brand name welders. Deals are out there
that was a great deal. Hobart and Miller are both owned by the same parent company, ITW (IL Tool Works)

I second "check CL".... I have a lot of good equipment and tools that I would not have if it was not for CL. 20-30 year old used is often still better than brand new.... isn't that why so many of us rebuild 30-40-and-more year old Cub Cadets instead of buying a new box store POS????
How many box store mowers will be re-recycled into Toyotas in 15 years when our Cubs are still running, that already have years of experience behind them/ vs anything new???? Same thoughts apply here.

Lincoln, Miller and Hobart have been around a while. And will not be going away anytime soon. Who does HF get their crap from this week? Will it be the same supplier next week? Next year? What about replacement consumables? you can't just look at a "cheap" price today on something like this. A welder is something bought with YEARS of service expected, not days or weeks. Get something reputable.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge trucker View Post
I avoid Harbor Freight like the plague. especially on shop equipment and large tools. I'd rather have a good used "name brand" piece of equipment than anything from there.
I agree, most of their stuff is garbage but some of their stuff is pretty good or getting better. Do I need a $500 3/4" socket set that I will use once or twice a year?

I've never broken a impact socket in one of their kits, for $13 the 25" breaker bar isn't too bad and can be used as a hammer or pry bar.....let me see ya do that with your $100+ Snap On. Oh, and the $15 HVLP guns are also pretty good although not Tim approved.

I only posted those up as an option. I've heard some good things about the Vulcans and although my welder is new and yellow I wonder if they will take the Vulcan back within 1 year for 100% of your money back.

Just for fun I like to watch this guy break stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KesUkDx-7LI&t=1130s
Old 04-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Harbor Freight isn't altogether bad...

I agree with the post above about the sockets. I've got a set of impact sockets from there and having cracked one yet. HOWEVER, I got some pretty wise advise from an older friend of mine: "Don't buy your jackstands from Harbor Freight."

I still plan to keep an eye out on craigslist for a good used miller, lincoln, or Hobart. Hopefully the right deal will come up.

Also, the Vocational class advise is something I haven't thought about, but glad that you guys suggested it. I'll look into it. My dad learned at a school about 5 miles up the road. Maybe I'll do the same...

Cheers,

Chad

1971 126 w/ Brinly Sleeve Hitch, Plow, Discs, and Cultivator

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=50159
Old 04-25-2018, 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

I wish we had something like a VoTech here but the last I checked we don't. I checked with a few of the community colleges and all they offer is a full time gig.

Good pointer on the jack stands!