Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 PM

Default Older Tecumseh snowblower issues

Hi:

I have a 11/33 Cub Cadet , the info on the metal tag on the side of says on a yellow metal tag
Techumseh Products Co.
Engine Model ohsk110 221701a (H)
Engine Family WTPXS.3182AF
Displacement 318
D.O.M. 8236 R

The Model information on the sticker on the cover below carb area is worn off.

I would like to find a manual for it if possible but obviously I need to know what to look for.

I'm having a bit of a problem that just started a week ago, when it gets into the deep snow it starts backfiring and then shuts off. I have taken the carb off and cleaned it best I could but I'm not sure which position the bowl should be in as far as securing back on as the drain on the spring plunger is possibly in the incorrect position. I'm hoping I can get some help with the issue I'm having as well as some input as to where to set the idle Speed screw the one with the screw/spring. As well if the float has a certain setting set with the tang. I have worked on motorcycles with carbs but never with snowblowers or the like.
Near as I can tell Googling the above engine model number it has a Tecumseh 640169 - Tecumseh Carburetor
Thanks any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disisme View Post
Hi:

I have a 11/33 Cub Cadet , the info on the metal tag on the side of says on a yellow metal tag
Techumseh Products Co.
Engine Model ohsk110 221701a (H)
Engine Family WTPXS.3182AF
Displacement 318
D.O.M. 8236 R

The Model information on the sticker on the cover below carb area is worn off.

I would like to find a manual for it if possible but obviously I need to know what to look for.

I'm having a bit of a problem that just started a week ago, when it gets into the deep snow it starts backfiring and then shuts off. I have taken the carb off and cleaned it best I could but I'm not sure which position the bowl should be in as far as securing back on as the drain on the spring plunger is possibly in the incorrect position. I'm hoping I can get some help with the issue I'm having as well as some input as to where to set the idle Speed screw the one with the screw/spring. As well if the float has a certain setting set with the tang. I have worked on motorcycles with carbs but never with snowblowers or the like.
Near as I can tell Googling the above engine model number it has a Tecumseh 640169 - Tecumseh Carburetor
Thanks any help would be appreciated.
Just a shot in the dark here, but that condition can be a lean carburetor condition
Have you checked the fuel flow to the carb?
Take the line off and see how fast it fills a can/container.
it should be a steady flow for the size of the line.
Did you blow the carb out well with an air hose?
Sorry,I don't have the number of turns for the jet screws and don't know if you even have an adjustable main jet as I'm not familiar with what you are working on.
I don't think the bowl drain piddle valve has any particular direction or "clocking" on re installation.
at least the ones I'm familar with don't
Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the reply, I will check to be sure fuel is flowing good. I did give the carb a good compressed air blow. There is a fixed main jet so I would imagine just an innitial one turn out on the air/fuel should be a good place to start. I pulled the immulsion tube for the cleaning and see the oil ring is in rough shape so will see if I can pickup a kit. I also noticed with the float installed and carb turned for needle to be closed that the float seems quite low for shutting the flow off , I adjusted it so it is now level with the body.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:22 PM
Banned

What model of snowblower is this? Cub didn't make an 11/33 isn't a model number. Also, CCC or IH never used the Tecumseh motors.....
Old 01-24-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
What model of snowblower is this? Cub didn't make an 11/33 isn't a model number. Also, CCC or IH never used the Tecumseh motors.....
The snowblower itself is a Cub Cadet with the numbers I provided on the first post, really no idea other than that.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:58 PM

This is a couple pics I have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2506.jpg (36.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2507.jpg (32.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-24-2018, 11:02 PM
Banned

Ok.... so I wouldn't call it an "older" snowblower. It's "newer".

This is an "older" machine.... about a 1977/78:
http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51139

Model number should be on a sticker near the engine I do believe.

I've been down this road on Crapsman snowblowers. You can't get a kit, or a carb for the Tecumseh motors anymore. If you need anything, you are SOL. Or, if you get really, really lucky you may find someone with an NOS one to sell.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I have a 11/33 Cub Cadet
That is not a model number. That is a printed description of what you got. You have a walk behind snowblower with a 33" cutting width, and a 11HP engine.

There has to be a Model/Serial tag attached to the equipment somewhere.

Take a closer look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCSB.jpg (20.3 KB, 100 views)

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 01-25-2018, 07:47 AM
Grand Member

As far as a kit for the carb, Ebay has a new carb (china knock off) for $11 including shipping.
Some here have had good results with them in other applications
ebay # 322993290408.
for that price it is worth a chance if it were me.
Although shipping is 3 weeks out, if it is snowing.
Do check your spark plug and fuel flow first.
could be something simple.
let us know what you find or do, as others learn.

Edit:
as a side note, when it sputters, try adding some choke, if it gets better, you are experiencing fuel starvation. Maybe just water in the fuel????
Old 01-25-2018, 06:59 PM

Lucked out and got the last rebuild kit from the authorized dealer here. Got it up and running ok. Setup ,it seems a bit finicky but seems to be running ok, when I try it in enough snow to fill the front end it is throwing ok but does bog down unless I let off and let it empty, I'm thinking this is inherent of the 33 inch front end and the amount of snow it's taking in. Thoughts?