Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
No one is telling me yet to grow corn, and @ 72, I prolly should sell my old vintage tractors/equipment for scrap, and sit on the porch and let nature take it's course.
But I enjoy being productive and doing what I always did, although at a much reduced acreage.
The thought if sitting in a chair playing board games is not my idea of retirement, but I'm sure all will have different ideas.
As a good steward of the soil, it is advised to rotate crops, IE: soybeans/corn, or other crops.

I would be thanking ethanol instead of complaining about ethanol if I was you. The price of corn would be 30 to 40% less than it is now. Worth saying again.....you don't have to grow corn for ethanol plants.

The family farm I grew up on had a 3 crop rotation program for years. We grew dent corn ( animal feed-same corn use to make ethanol)-wheat and soybeans. Quit growing wheat because we would loose around 30% of the crop because of spring flooding. Every time we tried 2nd crop beans on the wheat acres we usually get an early frost. We now have a 2 crop rotation program now-soybeans and popcorn.

Quote:
by ol'George
My son has a late model pickup truck that can use E85 fuel as per manufacture.
For him, the reduced mileage/power of E85 does not pencil out vs the reduced fuel cost of E85.
Cost ways, it it is better to use just regular E10 which is commonly available.
I need the price of E85 to be $.50 to $.55 a gallon cheaper to make E85 cost effective. I do not notice any difference in power in my 2012 Chevy 2500 HD. My is mainly used to haul loads and pull trailers weighing 3000 to 9500 pounds.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Banned

Dale, I don't mean to debate with you..... but corn in 1974 was about $4/bu..... which is about where it is now. If you look at a 45 year average, you see a spike in price right about in the 05 area, then down, then back up for a few years.... but 12 was a bad year for corn in the US. Weather killed the crop, and prices spiked. Looking at the graph of price, and the current price.... I'm going to say without ethanol, the price would pretty much be the same, which is shit BTW. How many other commodities are worth basically the same as they were over 40 years ago? Grain prices are ridiculous. Cost went up to grow, but market price has stayed pretty much the same. I blame the chemical companies for the price of grain/corn. I really don't think ethanol affects it much at all.

Reference:
http://www.macrotrends.net/2532/corn...cal-chart-data
Old 02-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Dale, I don't mean to debate with you..... but corn in 1974 was about $4/bu..... which is about where it is now. If you look at a 45 year average, you see a spike in price right about in the 05 area, then down, then back up for a few years.... but 12 was a bad year for corn in the US. Weather killed the crop, and prices spiked. Looking at the graph of price, and the current price.... I'm going to say without ethanol, the price would pretty much be the same, which is shit BTW. How many other commodities are worth basically the same as they were over 40 years ago? Grain prices are ridiculous. Cost went up to grow, but market price has stayed pretty much the same. I blame the chemical companies for the price of grain/corn. I really don't think ethanol affects it much at all.

Reference:
http://www.macrotrends.net/2532/corn...cal-chart-data
Jon,
I'm not here to debate with you......

Back in the late 70's early 80's I was looking at buying 175 acres. I decided against it because of the poor price of corn-beans and wheat. Interest rates that the bank were charging and the problems IH were having at that time was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
I look over your chart.
September 23, 1974 corn sold for $3.865. That was the high for year 1974. Low price for the year was $2.995. That was January 14, 1974. The September price didn't stay there very long.

Looking at your chart corn had to wait till March of 1996 to make that $4 mark.

The price of a product will drop if you have too much product chasing too little demand.
The price of a product will increase if you have too little product chasing a high demand.

Mid western farmers can grow lots and lots of corn. Local grain elevator I used to haul corn to has a price of March corn at $3.57. Be interesting to see what the price would be if there wasn't any ethanol plants.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Grand Member

After working in the utility industry for 30+ years as a mechanic and also managing the NGV (natural gas vehicle) program for 6 of those years, I have learned a lot about the misconceptions and "dark marketing" that alternatively powered cars are hyped as.

Compressed natural gas is relatively cheap compared to other fuels, but the conversion hardware is expensive and the cost of home compression (a selling point) puts the total payback out beyond 15 years. LNG - Liquefied natural gas is even more expensive and there are few refilling stations so far.

Electric vehicles have all the costs as mentioned in the above posts. Higher initial cost, battery replacement costs, and one cost not mentioned - low or no resale value due to the cars battery age if not replaced. The electric car industry loves to call electric cars green and zero emission. Both are false. Electric cars may not have tail pipe emissions, but the power plants generating the electricity do. We referred to them as REV. Remote emiting vehicles. And how green is it when we have all the heavy metal environmental issues of battery mfg. and recycling?

Treated gasoline engines producing low emissions will most likely be the best option for a few more years until hydrogen fuel cells are perfected, although hydrogen has it's own problems.
149, 2072, Original, 1772, 1782, #1 cart, Parker 48" sweeper,
Old 02-26-2018, 09:23 PM
Grand Member

Nothing like a good ethanol debate.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 PM
Grand Member

These are the only corn squeezins that I recommend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240px-Georgiamoon.jpg (21.8 KB, 87 views)

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 PM

The electric Nissan Leaf I had would go 4 miles per KWh, so at .10 /KWh I can drive 40 miles for $1. Most economy cars need 1 gallon of gas to drive 40 miles which might cost $2.50

Solar panels are getting cheaper and better by the day so the power to run an electric car will continue to get cleaner as solar replaces coal.

Electric cars don't have to be charged at 70 amps as was stated earlier. I plugged my Leaf into a standard 15amp, 110 outlet to charge it up each night. When you turn off the TV and all the lights in the house in the evening that's when your electric car should begin to charge so we don't need extra electrical capacity.

The batteries are expensive but they are getting cheaper and better all the time. If the batteries can last 200,000 miles then it won't be an issue. Some batteries don't make it that long but some do.

The gasoline tax will probably be moved to an electricity tax, a registration tax, vehicle tax etc. I wouldn't worry about Uncle Sam figuring out a way to get paid.

Electric motors are more reliable, powerful and efficient than combustion engines. There is almost no maintenance to perform on an electric car since they have no transmissions, radiators, or motor oil, fuel injectors, mufflers etc. They slow down with re-generative braking without using the brake pads and the energy from re-gen charges the battery.

Electric cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, planes etc are coming soon. Speak to someone who has experience before making your mind up about it. Back about 100 years ago some people were afraid of gas engines but they got over it eventually.

I had to get rid of the Leaf because I wanted to drive farther than 70 miles per day. I'll get another electric car in a few years when the prices drop and I can drive over 200 miles per charge.

Barn fresh 1811 with:
44c mowing deck
QA42A snow thrower
42" snow blade
Old 02-28-2018, 08:30 PM

I would love to see true numbers for cost of electricity produced by wind and solar. Also a true price for a gallon of ethanol. The government subsidizes these things very much and where do those dollars come from? I'm in the heating and cooling business. The other day at a meeting with a manufacture. I was told the government set standards that they can't meet. Oh that's okay they just pay $200 fine per unit until they meet the standard. Thus far none of the manufactures can meet the standard. $$$$$$ for other green items to make them look better.