Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 07-13-2016, 05:14 PM

Default 50" Mower Deck

Howdy folks, long time no visit! Finally got time to do some preservation on this 50' deck on the 1200. Just had a question, or looking for advice, on the top plate on this deck The previous owner had what looks and feels like tar paper as a gasket in between the top plate and the deck. That, and some sort of caulking around the holes where the spindles mount. I don't see a gasket on the parts list. The PO may have thought that it was a good moisture barrier? Anyhow, I am in the process of cleaning up the deck, and it's coming along ok so far. There is a fair amount of pitting that was under the plate and in other areas. I bought a scaler, and it works pretty dang good on the pitting and rust "bubbles". Now I'm in the process of knocking of loose rust and paint with a angle grinder with a very tough wire wheel attachment.
Once I am done and ready to paint, would you put anything in between as a gasket? The rust will be treated and it will be painted, but the pits are there, and I don't want to crate air pockets under the plate. What would you suggest I do there? Here is a few pics for reference. Thanks! TB

Old 07-13-2016, 05:27 PM
Grand Member

Looks good there TB. I wouldn't put any type of gasket back in there, paint it up good and keep it stored out of the rain.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Grand Member

I am not an expert by any stretch, so take this for what it is worth. Rustoleum makes a good primer spray that has some filler in it to help some of the small imperfections or scratches. As for the pitting, I would try some filler on them.

Your work looks good so far!

Cub Cadet 123
Old 07-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Grand Member

If it was me, I'd get it sandblasted to remove all the rust from those pockets.
No gasket.
What are you using for sealer/paint?

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 07-14-2016, 12:21 AM
Grand Member

I think the gasket was a previous owner addition..

I'm with the others... cleaned, primed and painted it will last a long time if you keep it out of the weather.

Once it's sealed with paint you could use some automotive seam sealer if you wanted to around the edges to help keep moisture from creeping under and between the two plates.

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer
Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post
If it was me, I'd get it sandblasted to remove all the rust from those pockets.
No gasket.
What are you using for sealer/paint?
So far I have only used Rustoleum rust reformer on the bottom just to get something on the bottom after I used the scaler on it. Its a brush on liquid that supposed to treat and seal rust, sort of gives it that darker shine. I have not yet decided what to use on the top. Also, the mentioned wire wheel is taking the rust off/out of the pits, in fact I have to be careful with it because it gets down to the bare metal fast. Blasting would be great I suppose, but I probably wont do that on this one. Thanks, TB
Old 07-15-2016, 12:10 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Blues View Post
So far I have only used Rustoleum rust reformer on the bottom just to get something on the bottom after I used the scaler on it. Its a brush on liquid that supposed to treat and seal rust, sort of gives it that darker shine. I have not yet decided what to use on the top. Also, the mentioned wire wheel is taking the rust off/out of the pits, in fact I have to be careful with it because it gets down to the bare metal fast. Blasting would be great I suppose, but I probably wont do that on this one. Thanks, TB
Kool, works for me.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 07-17-2016, 10:05 PM

I'm doing my deck too.

I cleaned the scale and coated the metal w por 15 paint.

I will put a layer of aerospace sealant between the 2 pieces and fillet seal all the edges. I get expired material which is still usable.
I sealed the water pump style bearings in the housing too. A bit top and bottom plus around the 2 halves. WI'll put the bearings on the deck the same way.
Probably use some lead sealant on the threads or loctite.

Big flacky rust is normal. If you can keep the grass and water out, there will be no more rust. Cauk around the edges maybe.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:02 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the input. I have made some progress. I got the deck primed and painted. Still working on the top plate. The top plate is primed and I should be able to paint it tomorrow. I gave the deck 3 coats of the rustoleum "professional" grade oil base enamel. Its a good glossy white, we will see how long that shine lasts. Still need to do the rear hanger brackets and the spindle/pulleys. Planned on going back with stainless bolts on the rear hangers and the top plate. And possibly find some stainless carriage bolts for the spindles, although I have yet to find any of those. Here is a few more pics. Thanks, TB

Old 07-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Grand Member

Looks Really Good!!

Have you tried McMaster Carr for the stainless carriage bolts? Or a local bolt supply house.... probably wont find them just anywhere

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer