Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 09-29-2017, 12:55 PM
Banned

I thought maybe your comment was tongue-in-cheek, lol. Yes, brand new quality stuff is pretty much gone.

I will say though that Deere does still make a very good garden tractor. Top of the line. Problem I have with them is for the same or even less money, you can get a SCUT, like the Kubota, for less money and the same options. Not really even much difference in size. CCC offers NOTHING comparable.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:40 PM

Wow...
I came here specifically for good feedback, I thought this would be the better forum for real info rather then unfounded response...

If I had use for a bigger machine rather then the machines I mentioned having researched, I would have asked in that regard. For a bigger machine I have access to my Dad's Ford 1710, it was built in 86 or 89, but that's when and if it runs.... (that's a whole other story/issue). FWIW, I would jump on a Kubota in a second if I was looking for a machine like that. I have tried to talk my Dad into a Low Cub or a newer Kubota to replace the F.ix O.r R.epair D.aily paper weight... He is not budging and would get rid of it altogether since he never uses it anymore. He went from 180 acres down to 5 acres over the last few years so the Ford is left over from a time when we used it daily.

It sounds as though most of you have not seen or demo'd an XT3. They are far from a lawn tractor, they are inline with the previous CC 3000 series. Comparing to a JD 300 series is apples and oranges... A new 300 series is a lawn tractor, it's a better machine then a new XT1 or XT2, but does not compete with the new XT3. The JD 300 series USED to be a GT, a damn good one. The real comparison would be an old 300 series vs the new XT3, hydraulics set aside it would be interesting. Having owned a 317 (to flip) for a summer I can definitely say the old 300's were a heavier duty machine then the new XT3. I did drive and play around with a new X370, it's a great machine and would probably suit my needs just fine. However it has the K57 housed in a cast aluminum case and only 20" tires on LT wheels (held on by C clip to a 3/4" axle), it is not rated to engage ground unlike the XT3.

The XT3 is not a lightweight pansy machine for just mowing, however CC is FAR behind the game in terms of info and attachments. However with a sleeve hitch (as we all know) it opens the door to aftermarket support, but I still have not seen a 3pt setup in the aftermarket world. But thats ok, for my needs in THIS machine as we always have an old machine around with whatever capabilities we would need. I just want something that will mow, but as importantly push snow! The XT3 is overkill for my use (of this specific GT) but that's what I'm looking for, a little bit of overkill in a new machine that is a reasonable price (reasonable price compared to modern machines). I started with buying a new JD 300 series and the only reason I consider the XT3 is because it is heavier duty then the JD (by far) for a price increase of a little more then $1k. I have a buddy that owns a CC dealership and he will get me out the door at $5700 (before tax) and the JD will be $4400, both prices include 42" deck and a snow blade. Going to the X500 series I no longer have the ability to do a 42" deck or even 46", pricing starts shooting up and they stI'll do not have shaft drive or a solid CI rear.... I have less then a 1/4 acre of good grass with a bunch of tight areas, it's just enough to make a bigger deck inefficient for MY use and quadruple my push mower time, also storage space is at a premium on my property. I have too many hobbies and too much stuff!!
Old 09-30-2017, 12:17 AM
Grand Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncub7172 View Post
The new Cub Cadet XT3 looks to me like it could put an old John Deere 318 to bed no-problem. Please, go check one out at the Cub Cadet dealership just for kicks.
I happen to frequent my local Cub Cadet dealership, and to chew the fat with some of the guys that work there. Every time I go in, I always walk over to that XT3. It really looks like it could get the job done for how I understand your post. That's my real world experience, not comparing something new to some old pos!

I know a good garden tractor when I see one. Good luck. Let us know what you decide on, ok buddy.

Jon, nothing against a JD 318, btw
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES
Old 09-30-2017, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
Wow...
I came here specifically for good feedback, I thought this would be the better forum for real info rather then unfounded response...
From your original post:

Quote:
I am looking for info on the XT3, REAL WORLD user experience....

-How is yours holding up?
-Common issues?
-Does the plow mount in a manor that uses the electric deck lift?
-What is you overall thoughts or concerns with the XT3?
-Anything else I should know before buying?
-Did you put Ag tires on yours? If so is it really better to plow snow with Ags or just chains on the turf tires?

I am sure I have more questions, just looking for user thoughts NOT salesmen thoughts from the dealer...

You make NO MENTION for ONLY positive feedback. If you came here looking only for positive, then you don't hang out here much. We will give feedback, but that's it. Unless it's something we all like, it's probably going to be negative.

How many of us have actually gone and test drove an XT3? Most likely NONE of us. Why? Because we already know that it isn't even close to the old machines that 99% of us buy and use. Again... if you actually spent time on this site, you would already know that we generally don't like anything made later than the metal hood machines, and have only recently discovered that the Cyclops series with it's plastic hoods isn't a bad machine. Most agree that even with new plastic, we'd prefer an older steel hood tractor. That said, nearly EVERY SINGLE post where someone asks us what we think of the brand new machines is met with mostly disgust. "Cheap junk" we say.... because they are far overpriced for what they really are. Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah.... they have a driveshaft and a cast rear end. It's basically the same rear end as the 3K series you say. Guess what? The 3k series had hordes of issues with the differentials breaking, bolts backing out of the carriers and shattering the rear ends. The frame wasn't as heavy as the older machines, and the attachments weren't as easy to remove/install.

A quick look at the parts book on a 2017 XT3 shows a steel C-channel frame, with little gussets between either side. It also has no provision for that oh so great cast iron front axle. No, the front axle pics show that a pansy little c-channel part is what it attaches to, then it bolts to the frame. Wonderful if you like broken mounting points in a couple years when bouncing across terrain finally takes it's toll and cracks the Chinese steel it's made from.

Let's check out the hydro pump. Oh, look.... it's a hydrogear. The very same pump that was used on the 1863 cyclops tractor that we don't care very much for. While it did last a good while originally, it didn't prove to be as robust as the Sundstrand unit that is still in production. Apparently, it just costs too much to use nowadays.

I had mentioned earlier, that the XT3 had power steering.... the parts book shows, it DOES NOT. (My mistake.) Nope. Rack and pinion steering. An open rack and pinion steering just like any other el-cheapo lawn tractor on the market. Only real difference I see, is it does use some metal components where the cheaper tractors use plastic. Maybe it will last 2 years longer that way. But, with it being an open system and exposed to dirt, there is really no real way to keep it lubricated, or from wearing out. I guess the spindles on the front axle have grease zerks, so at least they will last right? Now, maybe power steering isn't a big deal.... it's not to me. Oh, it's nice an all, but it's not required on a GT. BUT.... I'll keep my enclosed box, 3 turn, (2.5 turn on the old, old tractors) greasable, rebuildable Ross steering gear on my older Cubs. The bulk of which have countless hours on that have never been rebuilt. (My 1811 for sure has over 2000 hours on it.)

Moving on.....

Engine:
Well, you get a Kohler motor. There's a selling point! A positive!! Woo Whoo for you!

Driveline:
Shaft drive! Another good point!!!

Deck attachment:
Cub Cadet says it's a quick attach deck, no tools required. So, I guess it is OK. I still very much doubt that in a race anyone can beat me in taking the deck off my 1811. I can do it in less than 1 min. In about 10 min, I can have the deck and subframe off, and have the front blade on. I'll race you when you buy yours.

As to your original questions:

Quote:
-How is yours holding up?
Don't own one, never will.

Quote:
-Common issues?
None that we know of. No one owns one here. (Or at least none willing to speak up, which is kind of the point I think.)

Quote:
-Does the plow mount in a manor that uses the electric deck lift?
Ask your Cub Cadet dealer buddy. I'm sure he can tell you.

Quote:
-What is you overall thoughts or concerns with the XT3?
That it's a $5700 waste of money.

Quote:
-Anything else I should know before buying?
*There are comparable machines out there for less.
*There are better machines out there for less. (But not brand new. Used only.)
*There are also better machines out there for more. (Brand new, and used.)

Quote:
-Did you put Ag tires on yours? If so is it really better to plow snow with Ags or just chains on the turf tires?
This is really the only question you asked that we can give you an answer on, but, I'm sorry to say, it's still an opinion. I have used every combination there is. I put lugs on all my tractors, and either have them fluid filled, or run wheel weights. I use chains in the winter. Other than it being a little better ride, I think think lugs with chains work just as well as turfs with chains. But again..... someone else will have different experiences. I think weight in combination with the chains is the key.

SO...... If you think it's money well spent, then GO BUY IT!!!!!!!! Doesn't sound like we are making any headway here. Come back in 5 years and report to us how you like it, and if it was worth the $5700 you paid for it. Meanwhile, we'll still be here, and have bought 5 older machines, rebuilt them, and be using them year round for less than you spent on your lawn mower/ snow pusher. Good luck to you!
Old 09-30-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncub7172 View Post
I happen to frequent my local Cub Cadet dealership, and to chew the fat with some of the guys that work there. Every time I go in, I always walk over to that XT3. It really looks like it could get the job done for how I understand your post. That's my real world experience, not comparing something new to some old pos!

I know a good garden tractor when I see one. Good luck. Let us know what you decide on, ok buddy.
I gotta ask... When your checking out the XT3, is there something that sticks out that you not seem so good?

For me the first issue is that the snow plow is manual lift... I can't for the life of me get why they would go so far to build a decent machine then drop the ball on something so useful! The elec lift is there, they could have engineered the plow to lift with the same mid mount mechanism.... That was my first issue. I am also of the mindset that a decent machine should have a tachometer, I get that it doesn't have rear PTO, but I still like the feature of having a tach. On my machines that do not have it, I put on an ebay digital tach that wraps around the plug wire. If you can keep the could around the plug wire tight, they are decently accurate.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
From your original post:

You make NO MENTION for ONLY positive feedback. If you came here looking only for positive, then you don't hang out here much. We will give feedback, but that's it. Unless it's something we all like, it's probably going to be negative.

How many of us have actually gone and test drove an XT3? Most likely NONE of us. Why? Because we already know that it isn't even close to the old machines that 99% of us buy and use. Again... if you actually spent time on this site, you would already know that we generally don't like anything made later than the metal hood machines, and have only recently discovered that the Cyclops series with it's plastic hoods isn't a bad machine. Most agree that even with new plastic, we'd prefer an older steel hood tractor. That said, nearly EVERY SINGLE post where someone asks us what we think of the brand new machines is met with mostly disgust. "Cheap junk" we say.... because they are far overpriced for what they really are. Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah.... they have a driveshaft and a cast rear end. It's basically the same rear end as the 3K series you say. Guess what? The 3k series had hordes of issues with the differentials breaking, bolts backing out of the carriers and shattering the rear ends. The frame wasn't as heavy as the older machines, and the attachments weren't as easy to remove/install.

A quick look at the parts book on a 2017 XT3 shows a steel C-channel frame, with little gussets between either side. It also has no provision for that oh so great cast iron front axle. No, the front axle pics show that a pansy little c-channel part is what it attaches to, then it bolts to the frame. Wonderful if you like broken mounting points in a couple years when bouncing across terrain finally takes it's toll and cracks the Chinese steel it's made from.

Let's check out the hydro pump. Oh, look.... it's a hydrogear. The very same pump that was used on the 1863 cyclops tractor that we don't care very much for. While it did last a good while originally, it didn't prove to be as robust as the Sundstrand unit that is still in production. Apparently, it just costs too much to use nowadays.

I had mentioned earlier, that the XT3 had power steering.... the parts book shows, it DOES NOT. (My mistake.) Nope. Rack and pinion steering. An open rack and pinion steering just like any other el-cheapo lawn tractor on the market. Only real difference I see, is it does use some metal components where the cheaper tractors use plastic. Maybe it will last 2 years longer that way. But, with it being an open system and exposed to dirt, there is really no real way to keep it lubricated, or from wearing out. I guess the spindles on the front axle have grease zerks, so at least they will last right? Now, maybe power steering isn't a big deal.... it's not to me. Oh, it's nice an all, but it's not required on a GT. BUT.... I'll keep my enclosed box, 3 turn, (2.5 turn on the old, old tractors) greasable, rebuildable Ross steering gear on my older Cubs. The bulk of which have countless hours on that have never been rebuilt. (My 1811 for sure has over 2000 hours on it.)

Moving on.....

Engine:
Well, you get a Kohler motor. There's a selling point! A positive!! Woo Whoo for you!

Driveline:
Shaft drive! Another good point!!!

Deck attachment:
Cub Cadet says it's a quick attach deck, no tools required. So, I guess it is OK. I still very much doubt that in a race anyone can beat me in taking the deck off my 1811. I can do it in less than 1 min. In about 10 min, I can have the deck and subframe off, and have the front blade on. I'll race you when you buy yours.

As to your original questions:

Don't own one, never will.

None that we know of. No one owns one here. (Or at least none willing to speak up, which is kind of the point I think.)

Ask your Cub Cadet dealer buddy. I'm sure he can tell you.

That it's a $5700 waste of money.

*There are comparable machines out there for less.
*There are better machines out there for less. (But not brand new. Used only.)
*There are also better machines out there for more. (Brand new, and used.)

This is really the only question you asked that we can give you an answer on, but, I'm sorry to say, it's still an opinion. I have used every combination there is. I put lugs on all my tractors, and either have them fluid filled, or run wheel weights. I use chains in the winter. Other than it being a little better ride, I think think lugs with chains work just as well as turfs with chains. But again..... someone else will have different experiences. I think weight in combination with the chains is the key.

SO...... If you think it's money well spent, then GO BUY IT!!!!!!!! Doesn't sound like we are making any headway here. Come back in 5 years and report to us how you like it, and if it was worth the $5700 you paid for it. Meanwhile, we'll still be here, and have bought 5 older machines, rebuilt them, and be using them year round for less than you spent on your lawn mower/ snow pusher. Good luck to you!
I specifically came to the "junk" forum ad you refer to it, I did not post in the IH forum. I am definitely not looking for only positives, I was also not looking for unfounded negatives.... What purpose does it serve to respond to a guy doing research on a purchase with "junk don't buy, buy old"? It serves none, other then clogging up a post with useless info or drama! As a moderator I would think that would clearly stick out in terms of forum and topic efficiency. I get that this is a forum that focuses on real Cubs, but a section remains for MTD stuff. I figured some here would have already been through what I am going through in trying to find a modern machine worth owning.

New machines not being half the machine as a real cub is the reason for trying to learn as much as possible before spending money. 2 years ago I would never have considered buying something new due to quality, now I am trying to put that quality in perspective.

The issues you mentioned regarding the previous version, is great information to have. That now leads me to research any changes that were made that possibly remedies those issues (if any).
You mentioned the parts book not listing PS, that alone is an issue I have with CC, lack of correct information available. They do have PS it is an electronic setup, on the GSX version. That elec system concerned me also but so far I found that most did not have issues on the prev. models.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:02 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
I gotta ask... When your checking out the XT3, is there something that sticks out that you not seem so good?

For me the first issue is that the snow plow is manual lift... I can't for the life of me get why they would go so far to build a decent machine then drop the ball on something so useful! The elec lift is there, they could have engineered the plow to lift with the same mid mount mechanism.... That was my first issue. I am also of the mindset that a decent machine should have a tachometer, I get that it doesn't have rear PTO, but I still like the feature of having a tach. On my machines that do not have it, I put on an ebay digital tach that wraps around the plug wire. If you can keep the could around the plug wire tight, they are decently accurate.
I think seeing the XT3 in person, and standing next to it, looking it over has a lot to do with first impressions. If I were going to purchase this machine, my uses for it would be mowing, and snow removal. I'm also thinking those manual snow blade lifts are rather effortless to operate, and might reflect a friendlier cost. I'd like to see the snow thrower in action, so I'm looking out for the video on that this winter. I don't think not having a tach would completely derail a good unit from a lesser unit. Check this out:

https://youtu.be/ja0i_QTE10A
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES
Old 09-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Most of us look at the new Cubs with a horizontal engine and think, man I cannot wait till the day I can buy one of these off of CL for 200-500 and pull the engine and put in a 82 series Cub.

We have beat this to death but the new ones are made very cheaply. They are made to make the most money for MTD. If you want something that will last for 20 years, even with proper maintenance, it will not. There will be a point where it will not be cost effective to fix it.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:59 AM

Wsar 10,

On this forum, there are a lot of great people who have tons of knowledge and are extremely helpful. However, there are many on this forum who feel older everything is better than newer everything. I, for one, am not in agreement. The older cubs were amazing, but they were not without issues as well. If I am not mistaken, some of the older cubs had engines that were not pressurized and could be problematic on hills as a result. The quietline series had issues with engine cradle mounts. The Cyclops--which I had--had issues with electrical, paint peeling, and broken plastics. I also had a leaky engine that smoked like crazy. Some Cubs with the Kohler Magnum engines had issues with their governors that amounted to the engine needing to be pulled.

There are a few of us on this site who have the newer Cubs and like them. I have the GT 2000 which is very similar to the XT3--I do hate the name (XT3, wtf?) though--and it is awesome. I put Ag tires on the back with wheel weights and v61 tires on the front. It works for me. I am mechanically inclined but not to the degree some people on this forum are. I came here a few years ago out of interest and was sold on the idea of buying an old Cub. I did--1863--and had more trouble than I care to mention. If I was more mechanically inclined, I could have addressed a lot of it myself, but I am not. I just needed a dependable tractor that could cut nearly 2 acres a week and drag a heavy cart every once in awhile. I am not a fool. I know it cannot plow "the back 40" or be used as some mini backhoe/bulldozer, but it works FOR ME.

This is a decision you have to make as well. How much knowledge do you have to fix mechanical things? Do you have time to fix a tractor or do you have limited time and need the grass cut quickly? What are your needs? How much grass do you have? What may be your future needs for yard work? Just curious, have you looked at the new Pro Z Line of Cub Cadets? They as nicely built. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Grand Member

Thumbs up

You know, the JD 318 information is all listed at tractordata.com . Those were produced from '83 through '92, and chances are they need an engine over haul on an expensive Onan engine. I can't believe all the wise crack jokes about the XT3 measuring up against a JD garden tractor of that age. The Cub Cadet XT3 actually measures up quite well, and even better in the engine department.

You'd be money and time ahead to look further into the XT3 Cub Cadet with a good warranty, then to go with an unknown, undocumented JD 318.

Also, the forum should be a little more positive and promoting toward the new Cub Cadet line of equipment, in my opinion.

Just goes to show, I was not far off my rocker.