Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 04:36 PM

Default Briggs engine but not a Cub Cadet

I have a 24 hp v twin Intek that is driving me CRAZY. It is on a Huskee tractor that was given to me. Model 407577 0292 E1. It has the single barrel Nikki carb with no fuel adjustment screws. The tractor looks like it was taken care of but the engine runs like crap. When I first started it it wanted to lope at idle so I checked the governor adjustment which was ok. Since then I have checked everything there is to check--- valve adjustment, compression and leakdown tests, ignition spark, new plugs, checked the flywheel key, new fuel pump, fuel filter, and checked for intake leaks with my propane wand. At some point it stopped the loping but still is not running smooth. I removed the carb, got a new seal and cleaned the carb out. It seems to be running lean because when I pull the choke partly out it seems to smooth out. I am at my witts end. I am about ready to find an old style carb off a Kohler or Briggs and put on it. Im sure that would be a challenge.
I would appreciate any input on this problem. Thank you in advance, Jim
The reason I have done so much on this is because it is going to be my tractor to mulch leaves with and keep my Cubs clean.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Grand Member

Is the fuel flowing freely from the tank?
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 05-04-2016, 05:20 PM

Yes it is. I even drained the tank and put in new fuel. Even put a new "o" ring on the dipstick tube because the pump runs off of crankcase pulses.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim nicholson View Post
The reason I have done so much on this is because it is going to be my tractor to mulch leaves with and keep my Cubs clean.
You bought another tractor just to mulch leaves with so you don't get your Cubs dirty....

It uh.... it doesn't hurt them to get leaves on them. They were actually built to do that kind of stuff.....
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Grand Member

how does it run when mowing? any signs of a leaking head gasket or intake manifold?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the EPA world. They are jetted so lean that they barely run at idle. The fact that it runs better with a little choke answers the question. I looked at the carb and don't even see any adjustment possibilities. I guess you learn to live with it or try to find the slow speed jet and take a set of small hobby drills and try to open up the jet a little. Wish I had a better answer.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 05-04-2016, 10:35 PM

No J-mech, I did not buy another tractor to do my leaves. It says in the very first of my original post that it was given to me. What difference does it make if I use an old off brand tractor to do the job instead of getting my good tractors all full of dust? I happen to be very proud of my Cubs and clean and wax the one I mow the grass with which is an SLT 1554 that is ten or so years old and looks like new.
I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum. To tell you the truth I am disappointed that one of the most informative forums on the net has given me criticism as to the use of my equipment and why I chose to do something a certain way rather than help me with my problem.
I give thanks to the ones of you that did help.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:11 PM

Sam Mac, I agree with you and have considered drilling out the jet. I have a set of drills to drill out torch tips which are great for that.I'll just gauge it with a drill and use the next one bigger and see what happens. Worst case scenario, a new jet is only $11.
Here's to experimentation..... and maybe some knowledge.
By the way there are no fuel screws, just an idle speed screw.
I hate to run it with a lean fuel condition as this makes it run hotter.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim nicholson View Post
I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum. To tell you the truth I am disappointed that one of the most informative forums on the net has given me criticism as to the use of my equipment and why I chose to do something a certain way rather than help me with my problem.
I give thanks to the ones of you that did help.
Yeah... I was so "mean".

Maybe I should tone it down...
Old 05-06-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
Welcome to the EPA world. They are jetted so lean that they barely run at idle. The fact that it runs better with a little choke answers the question. I looked at the carb and don't even see any adjustment possibilities. I guess you learn to live with it or try to find the slow speed jet and take a set of small hobby drills and try to open up the jet a little. Wish I had a better answer.
I have a set of acetylene torch drills and I found the .038" just went in the main jet nicely so I drilled it out with the next bigger size which was .042". The idle jet is a slot in the top of the venturi and I have cleaned that with carb cleaner. Still makes very little difference on the situation. I was told by the local shop that It would be better if my engine had the Two barrel carb on it. Apparently the single barrel's had some built in design problems. I wish I could find an old style carb that had the same venturi size, I wouldn't hesitate to try it. The throttle would be an easy hookup. The governor would be a different story.
Poop on the EPA!!! Ha Ha !