Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 01-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Grand Member

Default Warming up your car in the winter bad for it?

My cousin recently shared this on her social media:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life...-harms-engine/

Thoughts on this guys? I'm sure we have a few engine experts here I'd trust more than Good Housekeeping and potentially its sources

Here's the article for those that don't want to click:

"In the thick of winter, the common wisdom is that when you are gearing up to take your truck out in the cold and snow, you should step outside, start up your engine, and let it idle to warm up. But contrary to popular belief, this does not prolong the life of your engine in fact, it decreases it by stripping oil away from the engine's cylinders and pistons.

In a nutshell, an internal combustion engine works by using pistons to compress a mixture of air and vaporized fuel within a cylinder. The compressed mixture is then ignited to create a combustion event — a little controlled explosion that powers the engine.

When your engine is cold, the gasoline is less likely to evaporate and create the correct ratio of air and vaporized fuel for combustion. Engines with electronic fuel injection have sensors that compensate for the cold by pumping more gasoline into the mixture. The engine continues to run rich in this way until it heats up to about 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

"That's a problem because you're actually putting extra fuel into the combustion chamber to make it burn and some of it can get onto the cylinder walls," Stephen Ciatti, a mechanical engineer who specializes in combustion engines at the Argonne National Laboratory, told Business Insider. "Gasoline is an outstanding solvent and it can actually wash oil off the walls if you run it in those cold idle conditions for an extended period of time."

The life of components like piston rings and cylinder liners can be significantly reduced by gasoline washing away the lubricating oil, not to mention the extra fuel that is used while the engine runs rich. Driving your car is the fastest way to warm the engine up to 40 degrees so it switches back to a normal fuel to air ratio. Even though warm air generated by the radiator will flow into the cabin after a few minutes, idling does surprisingly little to warm the actual engine. The best thing to do is start the car, take a minute to knock the ice off your windows, and get going.

Of course, hopping into your car and gunning it straightaway will put unnecessary strain on your engine. It takes 5 to 15 minutes for your engine to warm up, so take it nice and easy for the first part of your drive.

Warming up your car before driving is a leftover practice from a time when carbureted engines dominated the roads. Carburetors mix gasoline and air to make vaporized fuel to run an engine, but they don't have sensors that tweak the amount of gasoline when it's cold out. As a result, you have to let older cars warm up before driving or they will stall out. But it's been about 30 years since carbureted engines were common in cars.

So unless you're rolling in a 1970s Chevelle — which we assume isn't your daily driver — bundle up, get into that cold car, and get it moving."

Old 01-26-2016, 10:46 PM
Banned

A diesel engine will idle for about 10 minutes on the fuel it takes to start it.

Since Good Housekeeping isn't exactly known for it's extensive articles on engine building, and the fact that most of it's readers are tree hugging hippies, I'm going to say that far more of the motivation behind the article stems from the Global warming cult.

I don't think I own a vehicle with less than 200K miles on it. Which is probably twice as many miles as the one that the engineer in the article has on his car. While I'm sure he has an extensive education in some kind of degree that makes him an "expert", I'll stick to the fact that my car is still running with all those miles, it's now warm, I can't reach in and touch the engine (because it DOES get hot)..... I think I'll keep letting it idle.

I'm sure we could get into a debate about it. Everyone will have an opinion. Some based on fact, some on things that they read. All I know is, I've made my living working on motors. I've seen them in all kinds of conditions. Does idling wear them out. Sure it can. I know because I've seen it. But only in cases where they literally idled for hours upon hours on end.

Example: We had an old truck on the farm. It was a '74 Chevy with a 350. When we finally put it out of commission, it had maybe 175K miles on it. Motor was so wore out, that when you cranked on it to start, it almost sounded like a sewing machine. Hardly any compression left. But, in the winter when we were tending to livestock, it sat and ran all day so we had a warm place to go. Did idling wear it out? You bet. Is it gonna ruin the motor in your car to let it run for 15 min before a trip? No way. Is it hard on the motor? Not nearly as hard as firing it up an heading down the road when it's 5 degrees outside. Far more damage will occur to the cylinders when the pistons heat up too fast.

I'll keep letting mine idle.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Grand Member

John and I agree 100% maybe 1000%!!!!!!!!! (and he types faster than I)
Old 01-26-2016, 11:18 PM
Grand Member

I agree with J-mech. Let the oil warm up before you hammer on it.

J, how many miles would that Chevy have had on it had it been running 55 down the road vs sitting in the field? My guess is probably half a million.

I like hour meters for maintenance, but how it's used played into that too.

1993 Cub Cadet 2064
1988 Cub Cadet 2072
1980 IH Cub Cadet 782 w/CH20
1966 IH Cub Cadet 102 w/K301
1961 IH Cub Cadet O
1967 IH Cub Cadet 102 & 122

JD 2155 w/ 175 loader
Old 01-26-2016, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
John and I agree 100% maybe 1000%!!!!!!!!! (and he types faster than I)
I have the reflexes of a cat and the speed of a mongoose! LMFAO

Plus, I'm sitting at my desk at work, babysitting my slow ass mechanics who for the last week can't seem to do their job with no supervision.... So... I'm hanging out on here. Believe me, I'd rather be at home. But, nearly 1/3 of my fleet is broke down and they don't seem to be getting anything fixed, so I'll screw off and ride their butt to make sure the work gets done. Sounds fun, but it sucks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewcub View Post
I agree with J-mech. Let the oil warm up before you hammer on it.

J, how many miles would that Chevy have had on it had it been running 55 down the road vs sitting in the field? My guess is probably half a million.

I like hour meters for maintenance, but how it's used played into that too.
I don't know. I would say that you are probably correct.
I also have a Dodge diesel with over 500K on it. In the winter, it idles A LOT. I don't like to be cold. It still runs like a top. Only thing it's ever had put in it is an injection pump. Original injectors. So.... idling hasn't hurt it any.

Now, the garbage trucks here at work, they don't really rack up that many miles compared to an OTR truck. I have collection trucks (not roll-off) that have under 200K on them but nearly 10K hours. The motors seem to get tired at about 20K hours. Now, given the fact that they do stop-and-go driving all day, I'm actually pretty impressed. Seems like on a tractor, the motors start to wear out between 10K and 15K hours on the "newer" machines (like the Case IH Magnum tractors with the Cummins). The older engines didn't make it quite as long. If you find, say an 856 IH, with that many hours on an original motor, your doing good. "We" have come a long way with the diesels... and the gas motors too.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:33 AM

Whoever wrote this is probably isn't mechanically inclined. I let my 04 f-150 sit for around 15 this time of year before work. Gotta get all those fluids warmed up before driving.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:22 AM
Administrator

What would you think if NASCAR wrote an article on how to keep your house clean...????

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Grand Member

Good House keepin' is a breeze,just open the windows/doors and give er hell with the leaf blower!!
Thus the statement ya shudda been there,"I dun blowed da doors off"
with my genuine Gee Mmm powered, Sumyoko fueled, Goodyeer tired, Budd wizzer Klub Kadit, big Johnsin' yada yada.
oh yea don't forgit da warm up/kool down laps,just to keep it on topik
Old 01-27-2016, 07:54 AM

I agree with all of this (what OCC members are saying, not what some feminist magazine says). I let the car warm up for both me and the car. I don't like freezing to death when I go down the road, I like my windows defrosted/defogged, and I don't like all the "funny" noises a turbo car makes when cold i.e. BPV sounds super funny - almost like a duck call . Oh, and the drive-train noise too. Idling helps radiate some heat through trans, not a lot, but it makes a world of a difference shifting cold vs. preheated.

There is a bill/law in Ohio banning idling in your driveway. I break that law everyday and I doubt it will be enforced. http://akronlegalnews.com/editorial/8899

1984 CCC 680 Hydro. Attachments: 44C Mower and QA36A Snow Thrower.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 AM

My first car was a 1972 dodge b100 van with the column shift standard transmission. I learned early on that in order to shift safely, I had to warm the van up for a good 10 minutes in neutral with the clutch up to get the gear oil warm enough to move smoothly. That knowledge was enough to make it clear that oil does not behave the same cold as warm. I always give anything I use at least a few minutes to spread some warmth around before I put it to work. There's a great video on YouTube somewhere about how different oils behave at different temperature extremes.

Secondly, with a toddler, I prefer having the car warm before we get in to go anywhere. Better for her and more comfortable for everyone!

Mine: 72 w/ k301, 3 125's, 1 w/ hydro lift, 38,42, & 2 48 decks, 2 42 front blades, QA-36a & QA-42a thrower, tiller, lo-boy 154. Also, LOTS of parts.
family's:2 105's, 2 106's, 149, 2 lo-boy 154s, Farmall Cub.
Non-IH: 1940 JD Model A, 1954 JD 40 U, 1955 JD 40 Crawler, 2 1956 JD 420 U's, both w/ Henry Loader and Backhoe. JD 110. Wheel Horse (model unknown.) Power King 1614. We love our tractors!