Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 08:24 AM

Default Broken Bolt

I have a 149. The rear bottom bolt broke off on the starter/generator into the frame of the tractor.

It is sheared off flat with the frame. Any ideas on how to get that out?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:25 AM

have to go look at my 129 for reference, didn't think any s/g bolts went into frame of tractor? You mean "frame" as in engine block?
is there an edge on the stub? I have sometimes been able to take a small chisel and hammer and coax them out, if the threads aren't bound up...
might try an ez out but be careful.... any hint of binding, stop and remove ez out, look for plan B, as to extract a broken ez out makes the job 10x worse....
there is a guy near me that has a lazer cutter to cut out broken bolts, IDK how "portable" it is, if it can be brought to the tractor or if the parent metal has to be brought to it and clamped to a bench/table etc.... I have taken him heads off of a car, manifolds etc and when you get them back you can't tell anything was ever there.... and they aren't Heli coiled either (you could tell that though, if the hole had been)

is there any sticking out the back that you might be able to grab with maybe some vise grips or is it broken off in a blind hole?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by countywacker View Post
Same way you get any broken bolt out:
*Left handed drill bit and an easy out
*Weld a washer and nut to it and unscrew it
*Chisel it
*Cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver
*Take it to someone who knows how.

Since you are on here asking hot to do it, I suggest the latter. If you have no experience, you might make the issue worse if you attempt the wrong method first.

For those not sure, S/G brackets are bolted to the engine block, NOT the frame.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Same way you get any broken bolt out:

For those not sure, S/G brackets are bolted to the engine block, NOT the frame.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the original post// the "broken off in frame" didn't sound right at the time.... but my 129 is presently in a barn that is 30 miles out of my view, so that is the only reason that I questioned what was said.....
If this is the bolt that I think that you may be talking about (that holds the s/g bracket to the engine block) any chance you could take the rest of the bolts out and remove bracket from block which might leave you a stub to grab onto? (or make it easier to weld a nut to what might be left of it) if it doesn't then turn out with your fingers?
Old 02-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Grand Member

He must mean the ones on the s/g bracket that hold the s/g gen on.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countywacker View Post
I have a 149. The rear bottom bolt broke off on the starter/generator into the frame of the tractor.

Thank you for everyone's reply's.

I was able to drill the bolt and use a speed out and it came right out.

Also;

Side note; if someone is asking here on how to do something. That doesn't mean they don't have the answer, but maybe just looking for a better one.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Banned

Glad you got it out easily!

You're post asked simply how to get it out...that's it. To me, that automatically means you have no idea how to remove a broken bolt. Plus, to me, anytime someone asks how to do something on the internet, I assume they wouldn't ask if they knew an answer. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Glad you got it out easily!

You're post asked simply how to get it out...that's it. To me, that automatically means you have no idea how to remove a broken bolt. Plus, to me, anytime someone asks how to do something on the internet, I assume they wouldn't ask if they knew an answer. Sorry if I offended you.
No offense taking. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:50 PM
Grand Member

I like seeing this. Glad you got it out and also that advice was given and received and things were cleared up afterwards. Good stuff guys.
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub
Old 02-21-2018, 07:06 PM

Glad it worked out for you. I second J-Mech's left hand drill bits. When broken off flush sometimes the drill will catch the bolt and back it out. I've broken easy outs in a bolt and then the fun really starts.