Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 PM

Leave the dipstick in. There should be a breather in the rear, so it wouldn't make a difference. Filling the filter will save you some time and effort hand-priming the pump. When you first start the tractor, try the hydraulic lift out before moving the tractor. If the lift works, the pump is primed and you're all set.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the input. Wow is it cold! An unheated garage and 5* temps keeps my tasks quick. My hands are still thawing out. Got the axles installed, the rear cover back on, and all the axle tube bolts torqued. We're supposed to have a warm spell about mid week. I'll fill the tranny and fire it up and see what shakes out then.

Original Member #54
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Grand Member

Thumbs up

Toyman....Keep your info coming! I look forward to reading everything you have found/learned while working on your 982. I was fortunate to get one back in October and love it so far. But I am always looking to learn more about it just incase someday. I am having a few issues of mine surging a lot when idling and running a full throttle. I haven't done much with it yet due to cold weather and lack of time. I am going to start by getting rid of the gas I put in it and change the in line filter and clean the carb first. I figured if I ruled that stuff out first then I would work on the govenor if needed? I am thinking it can't be something too serious? All I know is when I unloaded it off the truck and fired it up...it purrred like a kitten - I never heard such a nice sounding engine. I have never been fortunate to have a 2 cylinder in a tractor so it was certainly a different sound to my ears! The PO certainly took care of this tractor and for that I am very lucky and grateful! I just wish I could track the bugger down....he has pretty much vanished since I bought it from him? I just had some questions about it that I was curous about. Heck I hope he doesn't think I am ticked with him over anything cause I know that I am FAR from being ticked....I am tickled pink about this tractor! Like I said before, even the wife is happy with it....as long as I can get rid of the surging problem.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Mountain Heritage - Will do with the updates! We need a lot of patience and a good ability to troubleshoot to keep these machines in good shape. Your original post on the 982 (700 pages?:biggrin2.gif was pretty timely for me and I enjoyed reading through it before I bought mine.

As much as I hate to admit it, when the PO fired up my 982, I really did enjoy the dual exhaust note. I definitely didn't need this tractor, but have a hard time passing up what I felt was a good deal and the only thing I regret about the purchase so far is that I didn't take the 782 sitting beside it also.

Now, if I want to downsize and get rid of my workhorse (JD), I'll have to find a tiller and blower. That might double my investment and also take some time and travel, but for now I just have to get the rear end done and change all the fluids & filters and give the motor a good once over.

Original Member #54
Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Grand Member

Wink

Toyman....that thread I had started before was crazy! I even had to show the wife how many times it was viewed! It answered A LOT of my questions as well as posed a lot more - but I guess that's what they are intended for!? I learned things I never thought I would from this web site as well as others. The knowledge in these postings is just nuts!I couldn't imagine looking up the information I have gained from others over the past few months. I am SO grateful for the offer to buy the 982 I have sitting in my garage now. I thought it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack when I started out searching. I would have to agree with you....that 782 would certainly look sweet sitting next to your 982 in your garage.... Don't! Oh well, you will see once you get the 982 running you will be shoving that green machine out the door by spring and making room for another Cub REAL SOON! For sure keep me and everyone else up to speed on your re-assembly of the rear end and any other issues you run into. I know when I am fortunate to get back out there and work on mine I will be back to .... about it. I bet every one can't wait for me to after each garage session with my 982! :biggrin2.gif: Anyway, I know people will hate me for it, but they just need to click on another thread if they don't want to hear about it. So do you have any issues with your releif valves seeping oil? Mine are and I still need to replace them. Think I am going to go with the new ones from a dealer - expensive, but I don't know that I want to take the chance to buy used/refurbished ones on e-bay? I just wish I knew what kind of shape the interior of the engine was in....without having to take it appart. Like Aj had said before about the new style and old style of connecting rods....that kinda makes me nervous a little??? Last thing I need is to blow the side outta my block in high grass cutting time and not have a back up mower. I need to sell my old tractor in the spring. That was the one deal the wife said about me buying this one - as long as the other one was gone. Its nice to see she is looking out for the unnessecary space being used up in my garage!

Look forward to hearing more from your garage adventures!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 AM

MH - My relief valves are in good shape, and not seeping. I was really impressed how good the 'covered' areas of my tractor were when I opened her up. She had the normal buildup, but only a thin layer which cleaned up nicely. I also have my concerns about the Onan. They have two followings, the lovers and the haters I was told by the PO that the PO before him replaced the original Onan with the one in it now. (The guy bought the 782 and 982 at an estate auction and then resold) The unusual thing about my 982 is that the hour meter is showing a lot of hours (well beyond an engines life span, even a d!) So I feel pretty comfortable that the engine has been rebuilt or replaced as it doesn't smoke, even a little, at start up and runs strong. I knew (from your previous post) about the connecting rods, but from what I've read there's no real way to tell without opening her up. I've also considered that an Onan rebuild is about the same price as a Kohler or Honda repower, so it will be a pick'em when/if the time comes. The hour meter doesn't match the overall general condition of the tractor either, as the steering is good (for it's age), the wheels are in very good conditioni as is the hydraulic lift, drive shaft and corresponding connections and parts. So, what I know right now is that the rear end is now in great condition and once she's back together I'll change the engine oil/filter, clean her up and get some seat time. Oh, and from the other thread, she is resting nicely, with my the 3 other tractors, in a garage. :biggrin2.gif:

Original Member #54
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Grand Member

Is your onan a "p" series or "b". I think the p came with with better connecting rods.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 PM

According to my numbers it's a B48G - GA019 9/3707B. Which, I guess could be potentially bad news as far as the c-rods go,although I have read that they did change to the solid c-rods at some time in the B engines, but can't seem to find SN breaks or other info?

Original Member #54
Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Where can I find the new style of rods and other goodies for my 982? I have looked at the sponsors, Onan and even Cub Cadet and have had no luck. I do have a local Onan dealer but didn't check there yet. Where have any of you purchased your parts and what kind of fundages will I need? I did purchase the Onan service manual and it looks like it was copied from a 1962 photocopier. My copy is very poorly made and was purchased from one of the top companies that you can purchase them from. Can you read your manual Mountain? Thanks guys.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 AM

Haven't ordered any parts yet, but I bookmarked this site for any future needs

http://www.onanparts.com/

Maybe someone else has first hand experience with them?

Original Member #54