Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Home Made

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrager View Post
I couldn't help but keep looking into this.

I got some prices on the 71 series planters they are about $1000 per row unit or $3200 for a full two row setup (comes with the tool bar/hitch). Pretty steep compared to the pull type equipment that keeps surfacing on Craigslist. You could find some used John Deere equipment that uses the model 71 planter for decent prices if you look hard.

As a side note, I saw that Yetter also made a strip till unit. I called the company and asked what the Horsepower requirements for this are. They said 25 - 30hp when pulled 6in deep - $2400 for a fully optioned row unit, I guess I won't be buying one of these anytime soon.

Ross
OMG! That is expensive! Looks like i might be able to do one row instead of four behind the 1450 . But i wont kill it yet, as im looking into talking to a guy about a International 284 utility tractor he has for sale. My best bet will be to snag a two row unit from craigslist at any rate. Thanks for talking to the guys at Yetter and getting these prices!

Lots of thinking to do now...
Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Dan,

I spent some time searching on youtube this morning for a video I had seen some time ago. A guy bolted a three point hitch attachment to his Earthway seeder and pulled it with his John Deere garden tractor - So your Cubs wouldn't have any issue

Anyway check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbodjkZy-Eg

or search earthway planter conversion for garden tractor. There is no reason why several units couldn't be used together. Saw another video where someone did the same thing with a Jang seeder.

Check out www.mechanicaltransplanter.com and look at the seeder section, some good products and ideas.

Also, search for things like utv food plots or utv plows/planters etc. There are a ton of products sold to folks with atv's and utv's - but they are usually big $$$$$.

Later,
Ross

1984 Troy-Bilt 8hp Professional Horse PTO with fewer hours than my wifes new hair drier. Also came with PTO chipper/shredder.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Dan,

I spent some time searching on youtube this morning for a video I had seen some time ago. A guy bolted a three point hitch attachment to his Earthway seeder and pulled it with his John Deere garden tractor - So your Cubs wouldn't have any issue

Anyway check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbodjkZy-Eg

or search earthway planter conversion for garden tractor. There is no reason why several units couldn't be used together. Saw another video where someone did the same thing with a Jang seeder.

Check out www.mechanicaltransplanter.com and look at the seeder section, some good products and ideas.

Also, search for things like utv food plots or utv plows/planters etc. There are a ton of products sold to folks with atv's and utv's - but they are usually big $$$$$.

Later,
Ross
Thanks Ross! Those were awesome and realy inspired some creative thinking! I agree on the atv planters, they are very nice but for the price of one of those i could have bought at least two more cubs and some attachments

And thank you Mods for placing my thread into the newly opened home made section!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 AM

Moderators,

adding this section was a great idea! Thanks again,
Ross

1984 Troy-Bilt 8hp Professional Horse PTO with fewer hours than my wifes new hair drier. Also came with PTO chipper/shredder.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 AM

From the video of the earthway planter, it looks like there's room between the tire tracks for 2 rows as well as two rows on the outside of the tires. I like the idea, just needs to be expanded on. I am interested to see how this turns out!
50C Deck
42" Hydraulic Angle Front Blade
41" IH Rear Blade
QA42A Snowthrower
Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog784 View Post
From the video of the earthway planter, it looks like there's room between the tire tracks for 2 rows as well as two rows on the outside of the tires. I like the idea, just needs to be expanded on. I am interested to see how this turns out!
The earthway planter was what i had originally planned, only to have four of them welded together on a tool bar like frame or trailer type frame. Just need to find three more!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 AM

I aquired this planter a few years back from John Lang who is a member of the weekendfreedommachine site, it works great and can be used with either a sleeve hitch or 3-point conversion hitch.

here it is after repainting

I have 3 different size seed boxes for it, this is the 3rd size box yet to be repainted.

Work great for planting sweetcorn, and the row spaceing works out by lineing up your next pass with the tire outside the first pass tire mark.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Lonny,

Do you know a part number or model number on that planter. It looks like it was produced specifically for the Deere garden tractors. I'd say that would be about perfect for the application we've been talking about.

I have used several Earthway seeders since I was a kid and I was given a brand new one last year for Christmas. They are great for the price, but I think something more like what you have would be better behind a garden tractor. Of course dieseldan could probably buy 4 Earthways for the price of one of those 71 styles like you have.

I'll still be pushing the seeder by hand for a while, it's tough to convince my beautiful wife that my tractor needs a Cat-0, plow, Ag tires, and steel to build a Cat-0 strip tillage implement, haha. I'll keep saving my pennies and wear her down with constant begging.

Thanks,
Ross

Old 12-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Grand Member

Nice planter, Lonny!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Lonny,

Do you know a part number or model number on that planter. It looks like it was produced specifically for the Deere garden tractors. I'd say that would be about perfect for the application we've been talking about.

I have used several Earthway seeders since I was a kid and I was given a brand new one last year for Christmas. They are great for the price, but I think something more like what you have would be better behind a garden tractor. Of course dieseldan could probably buy 4 Earthways for the price of one of those 71 styles like you have.

I'll still be pushing the seeder by hand for a while, it's tough to convince my beautiful wife that my tractor needs a Cat-0, plow, Ag tires, and steel to build a Cat-0 strip tillage implement, haha. I'll keep saving my pennies and wear her down with constant begging.

Thanks,
Ross
I belive it was made from a modle 71 or 72 flex planter. John Lang from over on the JD site made this for me a few years back when he was makeing them up for others as well.