Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 02:15 PM

Default 400 8hp Tiller

Does anybody have one? Any pictures of it mounted using the sleeve hitch (model 404 adapter)or even on a 3-pt?

I think I've worked a deal with the current owner for one but he doesn't have the stock brackets and I've found they are also discontinued.

Also, anybody ever had problems with theirs before? The current owner was using it this weekend when he heard a loud pop and it stopped engine still running fine (chain?). Not sure, either way it has a recent 8hp BG&S replacement on it and I think the price is fair.

Pictures on google are scarce.
50" Deck, 54" Power Angle Blade, QA42 Blower, #4 Cart, #2 Cart, 400 Rear Tiller, IH Rear Grader Blade, IH Rear Rake, IH CI Weights, Rear Suitcase Bracket, Sleeve Hitch, Front Hyd.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Grand Member

I just bought one a few weeks ago that hasn't been run in 10 yrs. I haven't had time to get it running yet so I can't say I've had a problem with it. Mine came with the 3 point setup and the manual I got with it shows the IH hitch setup. I've been going back and forth on IH v 3 point and decided to go 3 point since it already has the brackets. Basically the 3 pt arms connect to the 5/8" bar on the front and 3 plates bolt together and attach from down low on the tiller to the top link mount on the tractor. I think those brackets set maximum depth and keep the tiller from nose diving because the plates will scissor together when you lift the tiller up (guessing because I haven't hitched it up yet). It doesn't pick the whole unit out of ground rather it picks the tines up and rides on the back wheel. I'm pretty sure you could substitute with a length of chain for those plates. I saw the IH hitch adapter for sale here http://ihccw.com/sleevehitch.html, but its way out of my price range. If you already have an IH hitch on your tractor, I think the tiller manual has enough pics to build one. They are available for a few bucks on everyone's favorite auction website. If you want some 3 point bracket measurements or pics let me know. Here is mine and the IH hitch from the manual.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0358cut.JPG (93.7 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0359cut.JPG (86.4 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0370cut.JPG (82.0 KB, 366 views)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 AM

Thank you very much Bill, that's very useful. It doesn't look like the brackets would be to difficult to make and you're correct, that price is far to steep for my interest.

I'll have to look for that manual, should be useful. Thanks again!
50" Deck, 54" Power Angle Blade, QA42 Blower, #4 Cart, #2 Cart, 400 Rear Tiller, IH Rear Grader Blade, IH Rear Rake, IH CI Weights, Rear Suitcase Bracket, Sleeve Hitch, Front Hyd.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Default New to me

Does anyone have this set up? I thought that these tillers were only used with cat o. Would be nice to have this bracket or the measurements. Sure would make it easy to use on other cubs.

luke
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM

According to what I found, they offered a 3pt hitch adapter and a sleeve hitch adapter, both now discontinued.

I ended up buying the tiller, it was in really nice shape with a recent B&G engine, for the price I couldn't pass it up. Others i've found in the past were going for over a $1000 sometimes. This one just needs teh sleeve hitch adapters fabbed and the chain fixed.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Grand Member

Congrats!
Have you ruled out the drive belt? An exploding belt in the guard would give a loud bang and be much easier to replace. If it is the chain, hopefully its a quick fix. How did the po have it mounted, his hardware reusable? You'll have to post pics of the hitch adapter you make.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:27 PM

Ya, i was really really hoping it was the belt too, but it's not. I can sorta see through the cover and the belt is indeed engaging and spinning.

The PO did have a cub at one time and sold it for a new compact New Holland tractor. He had some brackets welded on so it mounted to the hitch on his NH - those i'm just going to cut off and grind clean.

He commented several times he just used regular bolts for the shear bolts on the tines, my first thought was maybe that's why the chain doesn't work

I picked it up for $150, which seemed reasonable for a garage kept tiller that only needed minor work and had a recent engine upgrade. It was a big plus that it was only 45min away too; I've grown tired of the day long trips to pick up tractor implements haha.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM

good looking tiller. wish i could find a deal like that.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Grand Member

Pretty good deal for $150. I Paid $200, figured it was worth it in original, non-running condition. I only had to drive 30 min from work to get mine, oddly enough my wife doesn't understand the necessity to drive far to pick up "old" things.

A little uneasy hearing about the regular bolts instead shear. I'm sure hitting a good rock could pop the master link. With so many bolts on the case it'll take longer to take apart than to fix the chain...not to mention reassembly after that haha. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 AM

I know this thread is a few years old, but I just picked up one of these tillers and I wanted to know if anyone has any pics of it mounted to their tractor. The way the cat 0 pins are set up, I have to adjust the arms way up on my hitch just to get the tines off the ground to transport it. I wasn't sure if anyone had done anything different to remedy that situation. Also, any owners manual pics would be a big help! Thanks!