Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Welcome to OCC > Get To Know The Members

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Smile first cub

I saw an add in the local for a cub cadet $250. It was late on a Sunday afternoon and we were riding around so I had the gf call about the "club cadet" Got all the imformation and went by the next day it was painted pastel yellow with a repalcement 10hp engine the gas tank leaked but it ran ok after a jump start from a pu. I gave the guy the money, put a couple of 2by 8's on the bumper lifted the rear hatch and we drove it in side of 1979 IH scout traveler. This is a model 100 wth a 38 inch deck, I also have a 123 hydro and a 102 with a new rebuilt motor that smokes and raps.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 PM

Default Nice Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrison View Post

Wow! great job on the 126. That was UUUGGGLLLYYY to begin with, beautiful at the end!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Default My first cub

Here is a photo from 1987 . My son and I on my first Cub. The 169. It was in Pickerington Ohio. I was 30 and he was a little over two. Now I'm a lot older and Brendon is finishing College and deploying to some place in the world with the 193rd special ops. Things were better then. I just know they were. Oh yeah,,,my first 982 about ten years ago pulling the sled at Latimore fairgrounds .
Full pull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IKE2 217.jpg (92.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IKE2 218.jpg (143.4 KB, 169 views)
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Talking My First Dream come true

After gardening for the past two years using an old Roper T20 garden tractor, I ran across an older gentleman that had recently purchased a 1975 IH 1650 to mow his yard with. He had a small yard in the city and the tractor was a little too big for his needs. I had a White Outdoor mower about 3 years old, that I could only use to mow or pull a cart. The Roper had all of the equipment, but the hitch motor was out, so I replaced it with a Hydraulic jack. At the end of each row, I would have to reach behind and jack the plow up. What a hassle. Anyway, I traded the White mower for the Cub Cadet and a couple of hundred extra. What a trade. The Cub had been setting up for a while, and was smoking when it started. I kept using Muscle Products in the engine, and now it runs great. I modified the hitch so I could attach category 0 equipment to it. It was like going from a VW to a Caddy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg album5008002.jpg (43.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 PM

Bought my ~1987-1988 1872 6 years ago and used it for lawn cutting. I have done basically nothing to it except change the oil, filters, etc. I just bought a new 2554 and am considering a restoration of the 1872.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Default My (new) Cub Cadet

I am now the proud owner of a IH Cub Cadet 106. First some background, I have a small John Deere riding mower that was given to me because of years of frustration and service calls to John Deere with an intermittent starting problem (it was the neutral interlock switch) but it is currently down due to a frozen idler bearing. I also have a Sears riding mower that was given to me that runs but the deck is shot (death by rust) I also have a Toro hi-wheel self propelled push mower with a VERY POORLY DESIGNED PROPULSION SYSTEM. I bought the Toro new 4 years ago and self propelled system has turned into front wheels ONLY turn in the aforward direction n lock solid if you drag it backwards. So last Saturday my neighbor (whom I am not on speaking terms) has my new 106 in his yard with a cardboard sign with the word FREE. No front grill on it and the seat was sitting on it where it belongs but upside down.

Now I already have too much crap. I am no shit on probation for 2 years for "littering" in my own yard complete with a 60 day jail sentence, suspended pending successfully completing my probation. What it means is anytime the city I live in does not like my yard they can and I am sure they would throw me in the county jail.

Fortunately for me I could not resist. I am busy as hell but I went over knocked on the door (they did not answer) Then pushed my new Cub into my driveway, behind my truck that needs the carbs rebuilt, and hoped that my neighbors would not complain to the city (again). I have finals this week it's my 20th wedding anniversary I have two teenagers both good kids but in that crazy puberty time and my wife is disabled. I am just spread way to thin for all that I have to do.too busy I finally got a chance to look at the Cub yesterday so after pulling the battery out of the John Deere, charging it and putting it in the cub the cub turned over nicely but did not start. Checked for spark and it arced nicely so I checked the gas tank, empty. Poured in some gas and cranked the engine some more. Nothing. Closed and re-opened fuel cutoff valve, cranked, noticed no fuel going into bowl so I thought clogged fuel line but after pulling the fuel line and bowl and bowl holder/valve assembly from the fuel tank I realized that I just had not put enough gas in the tank to get over the top of the fitting in the tank. So after reasembeling the fuel path and a shot of starting spray she fired right up! So I precariously balanced on the seat put her in gear and did three or four laps cutting grass around the front yard!

Apparently my neighbors decided to get rid of it because the seat bottom had pulled off. It had the key in it and it even has the three point hitch assembly. The deck is rusted through in one spot but appears to be in great shape. The blades are not rusty or rusted on and are even sharp! it's like my idiot neighbors got rid of a Rolls Royce because of a flat to buy a new Pinto

I love well designed/built equipment what a great little tractor! after my four laps it started running rough and smoking so I need to figure that out but heck even if I need to rebuild the engine it's money well spent! If I went sane and totally restored it I would spend less than any new MTD ride on would cost and would have a ten times better tractor. It's a pleasure to find people that still understand what quality and value mean. Thank you all for contributing your knowledge and wisdom. To the administrator thank you for providing the forum to keep these wonderful machines supported and running, I know it costs and can be a task.

Scottie

P.S. Pictures and lots of questions to follow.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 PM

Congrats to you and your new/old Cub Cadet! You'll really come to appreciate it even more once you have it a while. They're great little machines and they're also addictive!
I wouldn't be thinking about a rebuild until after I had changed the oil, spark plug, points and air filter. Then ad some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and oil to help clean and free things up. You may be surprised at the results.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 AM

Hey Scottie, welcome!
Where about in the great state of Missouri are you located?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Default Old CubCadets never die, they just go to Mo.

Hey Sdoe where are you in Mo. I am here in Rolla.

Got my first CC, a 1964 100 from a coworker, back in 2004. Smoking engine, bad clutch, flat tires, green paint and all. Ain't it grand

CadetFarmer
Old 05-13-2009, 01:51 PM

Default My first Cub Story

About 6 years ago I came across a posting at work. 129 and a 149 Cub Cadets lawnmowers. The 129 was $200 and the 149 was $350. I called the guy up and said i wanted to look at them. After work I went over to see them. He started it up the 149 and it ran like a champ. I said I’ll take it. I asked him if the snowblower went with it and he said “yes” wasn’t interested in the smaller one. That one run like a champ also.
At that time I was Nieve about these little tractors and how cool they were. After picking up my 149 I brought it home and immedeatly started using it to mow lawn. Then winter came I hooked up the snowblower and used it all winter to move snow. Assume!
The first year and a half I used it until the counter balance let loose and puked the motor. I’m think’in, “Now I can’t junk it out. It’s my snow removal machine.” So I bought a new shortblock and bunch more replacement parts and started the teardown. I tore it down to the frame and axles. Sandblasted and painted everything Cub Colors. I did use the newer white though on the paint. Replaced all the wear parts. Just remember, it’s not a restoration, it’s a tractor that’s rebuilt the way I want it. So if you see something not stock it because that's what I replaced it with at the time of the rebuild. I also cleaned up the mower deck painted it to match the tractor. I do have the decal's for the Cub but since I’ve been using it I haven’t been kind to it and will be touching up the paint before I put them on.
Now I’m hooked. I could have kicked myself for not getting the 129 when I bought the 149. After finding this site just lit the fire again to get looking for more Cubs.
My future goals . . . More upgrades on the 149, rebuild & paint my snowthrower, find a three point hitch with a lift, get more attachments - plow, rake, drag, etc. Oh yeah and find one of those Curtis Cabs so when I snowblow I can be out of the wind. Buy more Cubs!!!

That’s my Cub Cadet story.

I'll post my pic's in a few days . . .