Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 07-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketheRedcubs View Post
By the looks of that beast you must have a lot of farms in the area or a very good food plot! We have way too many deer where I hunt to grow them like that! Very nice!!
Yes we're farm country. Been doing QDM on our land since 1996 when we shot the first three year old. We have way to many deer also, been trying to get the neighbors to see that, but to them if they don't see at least ten deer on a sit there is none.
We do what we can with what we got. We do plant food plots, about six acres a year, and if there were no deer as the neighbors say it wouldn't be gone by Jan.
Been a dealer for the Whitetail Institute for I'm thinking like five or six years now. Tried the rest, but stick with the best. They've been at it the longest, they were the first to make food plot seed for whitetails, then the rest jumped on the food plot craze.
But anyway, thanks for the compliment.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM

Im looking into planting a small plot here real soon to be used this fall, any recomendations? Would be nice if it came back every year but I get some cub time if it doesnt. Thanks in advance for your help. Very nice mount too by the way. Very good taxidermy work.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer95 View Post
Im looking into planting a small plot here real soon to be used this fall, any recomendations? Would be nice if it came back every year but I get some cub time if it doesnt. Thanks in advance for your help. Very nice mount too by the way. Very good taxidermy work.
I don't know much of the soil type in your area. High and dry, or low and wet, sunny or shadey? These are all factors in figuring out what to plant.
Is this going to be a harvest plot or strickly a food source? Most harvest plots are small and an annual, meaning it will grow for the one year and die off through the winter. Perennial grows 3-5 years if properly maintained.
Perennials are clovers, alfalfas and the like. Annuals are like a grain, corn, brassicas, turnips. (excuse the spelling)
Afood plot must a get a min. of 4 hours of sunlight per day tp get good growth, if you were looking for a harvest plot I would go with a brassica, this is a big draw after a couple good frost, because the sugers in the roots and stem come up to the leaves and the deer go nuts for it. With our area the frost comes right at the perfect time during bow season, October!
I sell seed from the Whitetail Institute, and know from trying others that this stuff has no =, they were the first company to design a seed spacifically for whitetails, not cattle like most of the other seed companies.
A perennial clover would be for soil with moisture, and alfalfa would be for dryer soils, also remember a food plot will only be as good as the soil it's planted in, soil PH is big here. It should be nutral, like a 7.5, and to get soil results you will need a soil test. Easy enough to do.
Soil preperation is also a key factor. If I were planting an annual I would go with (in order of best consumption in my area) Winter Greens, Pure Attraction, No-Plow, and in small areas with 4,500 sq. feet or less I would use Bow Stand or Secret Spot.
Perennials, would be Whitetail Clover, Alfa rack Plus, Chicory Plus, again perennials are a little pickier on soil type than annuals. And I have no idea of the length of your growing season.
What I would recommend is go online to the Whitetail Institute website and you will find alot of information about what and when to plant in your area.
Or if you would like to talk more about it, pm me and I'll give you my phone number.
Good luck

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
Old 09-26-2012, 09:10 AM

Default Trail cam

Late this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (20.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 137.jpg (26.5 KB, 131 views)
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Grand Member

Default Deer report from NWPA

First day of archery in PA. I was comfortable in the recliner, checking in here on OCC this morning when I here a big Dodge pull in the drive about 9:00. Time to work on venison! Grandson Nic and his girlfriend Brandi had a nice mature doe in the back that she arrowed at 7:30 this morning! Brandi had done a nice job gutting her first deer with Nics supervision. We got it rinsed out and cleaned up and they decided to take this on to a local shop to get it processed. (We usually do them but this was a decision they made. Both are busy working a lot.) The doe weighed about 110 lbs live weight. I will try to get them to send me a picture. This was her first deer and the practice paid off. Double lung shot with a RAGE tip. Doe traveled about 80 yards, after the 15 yard shot.
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Grand Member

Todd is really a expert on these food plots. I will have to take some lessons from him and apply them.
Schultzie, those are some nice action shots of the buck!

I am really looking forward to other OCC members pictures and stories of their hunts and deer harvested this season! Have a great season!

Deer report from NWPA.
Nic arrowed a nice 7 point just before dark last night. He had 5 does and 7 turkeys show up prior to spotting the big guy just off to his left. His 20 yard shot with the RAGE tip was right on the mark. Nic and Brandi did a great job skinning and quartering this big deer after we got it home. We have the quarters cooling in the fridge right now. This was about the biggest deer we have taken among us. The live weight was about 190. Congratulations Nic!

For some reason I am starting to get the itch to get to the woods myself!

Again I will try to get some pictures to share.
Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzie View Post
Late this summer.
Woah, nice deer.

Nik,
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Grand Member

Good looking deer.
Good job, Brandi and Nic Rage broadhead you say? Two blade Chris? We had bad luck a few years back with their three blade broadhead, switched to Grim Reaper, and it looks like they were shot with a 12 gauge slug. Super blood trails, even me being color blind could follow them. Also good talking with you this afternoon Chris. As I said, this is the first year in 26 that I haven't been out hunting by now, just not up to it, you know?
Nancy's been out quit a bit. She passed a 1 1/2 year old on Mon. evening, it's still early, and to warm. Wait till the end of the month when the rut kicks in it's going to be hot this year around Halloween!!!!!
Hopefully it will be a BIG BUCK DOWN kind of thing. Then it's herd reduction time, doe slam 2012.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Grand Member

Default Did a little turkey hunting

Well besides IH tractors my second love is turkey hunting and I take it very serious. Well my Dad and I went out today and got into a flock and busted them up and I called 2 back in to about 40 yards and connected. Man I love to turkey hunt.
1961-PTE-"O", needs lots of work.
2072-Repowered with a ch18, Woods tractor.
149 with my Dad. 44" deck and QA36A.
#9-70 with weights and sleeve hitch.
#10-149 with a 38inch deck.
2015 Kubota BX 2670.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricR View Post
Well besides IH tractors my second love is turkey hunting and I take it very serious. Well my Dad and I went out today and got into a flock and busted them up and I called 2 back in to about 40 yards and connected. Man I love to turkey hunt.
Man, I know how those gobblers can get to you. EXCITING as all heck. Got my heart pumpin' one time I thought I was going to have the BIG-ONE.
Dont like your pick of camo tho? Sorta does not fit?

Nik,