Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 08:37 PM

Default H-42 drive pulley

Sorry guys, I know I read a little bit about replacing the drive pulley for a H-42 but can't seem to find when I search.
The problem is the bore of the pulley is worn out, partstree says no longer available, seems like I saw where someone bored it out and welded in an insert but I can't find that either. I found a machinist that said he would bore it out but that I should be able to find an insert ready to go in, locally I haven't been able to yet. Found a "forged" 2 pc pulley, bore insert is separate to accommodate different sizes of bore, at grainger but about $70.00! ouch! And I guess I'm not sure that forged pulley would hold up in this situation, these things aren't exactly what I would call a smooth running machine.
Anyway, any help would be appreciated as always, even just the right threads to read.
Pic below, o.d. is just under 6", maybe 5 15/16"? 1" bore for a 5/8" belt.
Thanks!
Vic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H-42 drive pulley.jpg (28.2 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Grand Member

I can fix that pulley. I'll bore the pulley out and recut the keyway. I'll make a slotted sleeve and a custom keyway.

This is a tiller pulley I repaired.

It will cost $50 plus shipping so if you can find another pulley to use, that's OK too.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:12 AM

Thanks Jeff, sent an email.
Vic
Old 10-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Administrator

This may be an option for you.

Pulley
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...s?cm_vc=-10005

Hub
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...re?cm_vc=IOPDP

These are a weld together setup. Just get the proper pulley and hub size then weld them together. Not trying to cut Jeff out of a job.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 10-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
This may be an option for you.

Pulley
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...s?cm_vc=-10005

Hub
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...re?cm_vc=IOPDP

These are a weld together setup. Just get the proper pulley and hub size then weld them together. Not trying to cut Jeff out of a job.
If he wants to do that, that's fine by me. I offered to help and wouldn't be offended at all if he chose a less expensive option.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Sam, you know I saw that pulley in the store and asked how they worked, they didn't have a clue, said it would need to bolt up to something. Guess I didn't get the right guy, kind of frustrating. I also looked on line but guess I didn't search for the right thing.
Is there any info on how they fit up and weld? suppose it might be obvious once I get the 2 parts in my hand.
Thanks,

Jeff, I want to look at them again, and I really appreciate your offer to help, I'll let you know which way I go.
Thanks,
Vic
Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redblower View Post
Sam, you know I saw that pulley in the store and asked how they worked, they didn't have a clue, said it would need to bolt up to something. Guess I didn't get the right guy, kind of frustrating. I also looked on line but guess I didn't search for the right thing.
Is there any info on how they fit up and weld? suppose it might be obvious once I get the 2 parts in my hand.
Thanks,

Jeff, I want to look at them again, and I really appreciate your offer to help, I'll let you know which way I go.
Thanks,
Vic
It's a less expensive way to go and it's not a specialized pulley like the tiller pulley I fixed.

Just let me know what you decide
Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redblower View Post
Thanks,

Thanks,
Vic
They are pretty simple, the hub fits into the hole in the center of the pulley and then you just weld it together. If you are going this route check it for offset and fit before you weld it so if it doesn't fit you can return it. Also clamp it good before you weld it so that it runs true.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

I've used those weld in hub pulleys plenty of times. They work just like any pulley would. Like Sam said, pretty simple.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM

Thanks guys, I am going to tsc tomorrow to check it out, good to know about the offset, I might not have thought about alignment till it was too late, Thanks Sam!
Jeff, I'll be in touch and I'll always keep you in mind for these hard to find parts. The drive shaft worked awesome and the price couldn't have been lower or you would have to give it away.
Thanks
Vic