Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > What is it worth ?

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccarat View Post
Ben. Do you happen to know anything about this unit? I have seen it on cl for quite awhile.
I know nothing about it. I search CL fairly frequently, and never saw it until yesterday Maybe I just never saw it. I just thought it was a good deal with the dual stick, weights, hubcaps, nice paint etc.

682, 282, cadet 85 RER
Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 PM

Thanks Delta. That clears up what was to me a mystery.

Ben, I have passed on considering it in the past mainly because I was not sure exactly what I was looking at. The low price also is a bit scary to me. I fear there may be a lot of work needed on it and I am not looking for a project. I am looking for something that is mechanically sound and functional. Cosmetics are of secondary concern as long as they are in respectable condition. I can take care of maintenance issues. I just don't want to get involved in engine rebuilds and the like.

I am still kicking these units around. I don't like to make hasty decisions. When I have in the past, it usually turns into a buyer's remorse deal. My 95 RER being a recent example.

Thanks to all for the wisdom and advise.

Mike
Old 06-16-2017, 09:59 AM

if it isn't too far away for you, I'd jump on that one for $250 in DeForest. Any of the units that you are considering are 40-ish years old +. Which is a good thing, they have forgotten since, how to build a good machine. Today's wont be around with parts still available 40 years from now.
I'd expect to have to put a little work into anything I get. For the price, you have the largest cushion for that possibility, as opposed to the others on your list. Sometimes higher price doesn't mean better machine.
I have seen people wanting more for a deck than that, certainly just engines alone, people are wanting more. I have a 1650 roller that I have decided to sell because the only engines I can find are a couple states away and $100 more than that whole tractor, not counting shipping.... lets see.... $350 + ship for an engine or $250 for a runnable complete tractor in good overall shape......

I am not looking for any projects right now, since I have plenty/ but Deforest is just north of Madison, about 300 miles away from me. If I needed a machine, that one looks good enough to seriously consider a road trip....
I've camped at the KOA there/ if I needed a machine I'd probably do it again to go after that one. What are you waiting for?

That red one on rockford CL would have been a good deal at $400 when it was still in St Charles, IL last week... but another 50-60 miles away (for me anyways) and more than 2x the price? no way. I'd bet my last dollar that the current seller did little to nothing to it besides go pick it up, set it into his yard and put it back up for sale.

there was a nice looking 129 in Palatine IL (Chicago CL) last year that lingered on CL for quite a while and I don't know why.... looked like a better deal than this red (not stock color) one... though I know that paint color has nothing to do with how well a machine does a given job.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:00 PM

Dodge

Green might be an exception to the paint rule.

You make a lot of valid points. I am about 70 miles east of Madison, so it wouldn't be a long road trip for me. My big issue with it is the lack of any knowledge by the lister as to what is/isn't right or wrong with the machine. That brings in a lot of those nasty "IF" questions to mind. If the engine runs, but is on the edge, I am potentially in the middle of winter and no snowblowing ability. Can I shovel? Yes, but at my age, that is looking for a heart attack. I found out last winter that my 6-1/2 ft plow is not a viable option. There is simply no place to push any serious amount of snow once the accumulation builds up. Last year we were fortunate after the first snowfall and didn't get any large hits thru the rest of the winter. That is why I am looking at the snowblowing option. Either I spend the money on a walk behind, or go the tractor route. Long term, I am opting for the tractor route.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I am not looking for a project. I'm just not up for it. Money is not my issue. It is time and "want to" that I just don't have anymore. If I absolutely have to, I can and will. But, if I can avoid it, I can and will. I'd rather spend the money up front on a quality restoration unit and know that there is little if any likelihood of a problem. Anything can go wrong at any time, but the odds are extremely higher on a low cost, unknown, than one that has had recent work on it that is documented and detailed as to what, when, & who did the work.

With your info on that red one, it appears that the current seller is a "flipper". He/she found a good deal on something and is looking to turn a profit on it. Just my opinion. I've already mentally passed on it.

I found a different one that is detailed out in greater depth. It looks and sound like a full blown restoration. Rebuilt Kohler engine, rebuilt 44" deck. New: blades, belts, front tire, seat, battery. New paint & new decals. This thing looks like it belongs in the dealer showroom. Pricey - naturally, but, it looks as good as Zippy's last rebuild, mjcubfan's 169 or one that Sam Mack did.

So, I am stuck on any serious decision. Low buy it and hope for no major issues. High buy it with a better feeling that I won't have problems.

Thanks for your input as well as all the rest of the crowd. I am still reading and learning.

Mike