View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 02:48 PM

Default Non Cub Cadet Briggs engine question

I have a Trac Vac with a 8HP Briggs (Same exact motor that's on my Troy Bilt Super Tomahawk chipper) on it that every time I've used it until today, it's never had any issues. The problem I had with it today is I was having a heck of a time keeping it running. I had to have the choke at least partially on to keep it going, and sometimes it would almost die, but then come back to life. I rebuilt the carb I believe last year, after which it ran and started much better. Normally, needing the choke to keep it going would be an indication that it's not getting enough fuel.

But here's the strange part - it only seemed to have trouble when I was moving (I rigged up the Trac vac boot that was intended for an older JD Zero Turn to the CC deck with some 'country engineering' to help with sucking up leaves). I discovered that after I got all the leaves sucked up that I could by mowing over them and had transitioned to manually sucking up the piles that were left, it ran perfectly at full throttle with no choke, but then as soon as I hopped on the CC and started to move, it would start to sputter and die.

Any thoughts as to why it seems like the motion was causing it to die?