View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsruskw View Post
Pick up some thin machine bushings or washers big enough to contact the outer race of the bearings. Our farm store has them in 2 thicknesses.
Take a bearing w/you to get the proper ID
You have the good bearings for sure.

Your washer under the cap screw is pressing on the inner part of the bearing, forcing it inward enough to bind the ball bearings against the inner lip of the outer race, preventing it from "floating' on the axle shaft and riding "inside the bearing assembly, surrounded by grease. (They have to be packed)
I hope I have described this so it can be understood!!

You should have a tiny bit of "in and out" play when the cap screw is torqued down and the wheel should spin freely.
Good Luck!
Hey, I was thinking. Why not a 1" O.D x 3/8" I.D washer of a certain thickness work? That would keep the "hub washer" away, would it not? But first I'll check into your outer race shim placement. Could not but notice how much better of a bearing set up my friends Simplicity 7112 has. These are real automotive inner and outer cylinder bearings. But I still love my 1450!

On another note: Got the Firestone 23's mounted today. Easy enough to muscle around on by hand, and a longer screwdriver with a smear of petroleum jelly on the bead side of the rims. Then I washed the wheels with hot water and soap. They will be ready to tape off and paint when dry

Got the brake caliper hardware cleaned, and decided to go keep with the old pads as there is still some pad thickness left to get me out of not taking on the replacement, yet. Also, since the "adventure" has been found and corrected, I'm rather relieved not to have to go into a good pump that don't leak hy-tran! The next couple steps will involve cleaning and painting the charge pump, and touching up the 1450 frame where an old battery once leaked.

We're going on!
IH CUB CADET 1450, 72, 86, 1211, IH #2 CART, IH 56" SNOW BLADE, COLLECTING CUB CADET ENGINES