Thread: Cadet Model 60
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Cadet Model 60

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to Cub Cadet and also to restoring such things. I like the idea of restoring, own many of the tools, but lack the time to do so.

I feel I got lucky to be introduced to the sect by coming across, randomly, a Cadet Model 60 that the kids and I quickly named The Little Yeller Feller.

I passed it by the first day I saw it on Craigslist thinking it was absurd looking, but then a vision came to me in the night that it was actually really cool.

Anyway the Yeller Feller wasn't beat up, apparently was barn stored for 30 years or so. The piston is stuck but the cylinder looks smooth, and every part seems to be there.

The kids and I plan restore it with a full dis-assembly, media blast the rusties, and paint all that needs to be. Restore the color on the fiberglass and so on. The only fiberglass damage I see is front left corner had a collision with something, but still quite minor.

I'll post what pictures I can for now, and we plan to take pictures the whole process.

Current issues with dis-assembly is how to remove the mower deck height adjustment handle. The service book I found here or the other place seems to imply the rubber grip comes off and then there is a retainer inside the tube. I'm looking for opinions about how to get the rubber off if it's ideal to retain it. If the majority says to cut it off, I will.

Also we're working on removing the steering wheel / column. I found here or there a post about there being a roll pin up top in addition to the bolt and nut down lower. Both are completely rust and stuck. The bolt head has now been sheared off and I'm working on drilling it out. No luck with a fast drill and bit; with good reason because I have now realized that slow, cool, lubricated is the key

All advice is appreciated although until I get through this experience I'll have none of my own to offer.

Thank you,

PF