Thread: Then VS Now
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Grand Member

There’s a couple aspects to this I want to point out. My son, (6) has been expected to read almost fluently in first grade which he has barely accomplished but I also don’t remember doing that myself. Last year in kindergarten he had full days and had 5 to 10 pages of homework a week also to my surprise, due to this common core stuff. I on the other hand went to a half day of kindergarten and also had a nap in that half day. No day care before that either, my mom stayed home and raised us and I turned out fine, made good grades because if I didn’t in the later years there was some hell to pay when I got home via the wooden spoon or belt or both. I might add no tubes in the ears before that, no adnoids or tonsils needing to be removed as is also the norm these days, just because everyone else has to raise kids in a germ infested day care but the parents it seems because of that dynamic changing too.

I say this because it’s funny to me that the focus has shifted to sometimes unrealistic expectations for kids On one hand but the flip side is all the bs that also happens like zippys post says because of lack of discipline for them etc. on the other hand and now he’s also unfortunately getting labeled with a learning disorder because of acting out etc and I can’t wait for the ADHD bs to get thrown at him and someone wanting to drug him up. I try to be a “realist” dad because of what I was expected to do in school but also realize that he’s only 6 and not 16 yet when it comes to acedemics but needs to behave respectfully none the less.

Behavior at school is a different story to me. I told his teacher that she can make him sit by himself or right next to her desk if he gets out of line enough. I also said after that if it continues she can “tighten him up” if she needs to and I will be ok with it. She said sir I can’t do that I could lose my job. I said well that’s unfortunately what’s wrong with the system these days and why teachers are literally afraid for their lives anymore especially in the higher grades. I know there’s bad apples that spoil the bunch in every situation and take it too far but if you’re involved enough as parents with them it’s easy to see if any shenanigans are going on. Oh well, rant over.
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub